Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need Help - New Fuel Pump
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: September 25, 2021 08:51AM

My existing Fuel Pump starting leaking again but this time screws started stripping before it stopped leaking.I purchased a replacement a while back but only took a quick glance at it when I received it. Now I see that it doesn't have the retaining hole drilled into it.

How does one position the retaining hole when the length of exposed shaft and the overall length of the boss are different than the old pump.

My gut is telling me I should position the hole relative to the end of the shaft since the shaft would then be in the same relative position to the mounting bolt as the old one was. Is that correct?

I just want to get it running now but an electric pump conversion may be in my future. Reading a lot of bad press on available Corvair mechanical fuel pumps these days.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help - New Fuel Pump
Date: September 25, 2021 08:52AM

Additional Photos

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 25, 2021 01:20PM

"My gut is telling me I should position the hole relative to the end of the shaft since the shaft would then be in the same relative position to the mounting bolt as the old one was. Is that correct?"
Yes. The length of the housing is irrelevant within reason.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 123 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 25, 2021 01:59PM

Thanks Joel,

Running into other issues that are causing me not to try the replacement pump.Plunger on old pump moves at least 1/4" but new pump moves only 1/8" so concerned something will break with it installed (assuming I could get the retention hole located properly.

Pursuing conversion to Electric and seeing if any other mechanical pumps are available.

Biggest bummer is the weather is beautiful here this weekend but car can't be run.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: September 25, 2021 02:56PM

I would put the pump in place in / on the engine where it should be and scribe or punch the (axial?) orientation of the hole through the retaining stud opening. Vertical locating the hole can be done later, where you think best.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 25, 2021 03:24PM

Do not forget to install the oring seal in the seal groove or oil will leak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 25, 2021 04:39PM

I would drill the hole where it should be and then grind down the shaft to the correct length. ?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 04:39PM by Brizo.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 27, 2021 04:37AM

I would listen to Brizo. He's good with mechanical fuel pumps.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 30, 2021 02:24AM

I would turn the engine until the fuel pump cam is in the lowest position then insert the pump until the shaft touches the pump rod. Screw in the retaining screw until it touches the pump housing then tighten it a little more to center punch the housing . Drill the hole at the indention and then install the pump as usual.

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: September 30, 2021 05:59AM

The easiest solution might be to contact Corvair vendors and see if they have the correct pump in stock. Return (if possible) the incorrect one you received. It’s a small item you might be able to have it shipped in 2-4 days. If you get a new pump that works, order a back up.

Re: Need Help - New Fuel Pump - Back in Business
Date: October 01, 2021 03:23PM

Installed the electric fuel pump from Clark's today and car is back on the road. I went with the pass through block and parts of the old Fuel pump so car looks stock but no more mechanical pump. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the pump install but will get some in the next few weeks when I do the front shocks.

On another note I discovered just how rigid my convertible is. First jacked it up by the cross member and had the front supported by jack stands. Then my buddy and I used a floor jack on each side and raised the rear, trying to stay in sync. Any time we got a little out of sync one of the front jack stands would get light, just amazing the car did not flex at all.

When running the electric wire for power up into the cabin I had to open a door, they opened the same as when the car is sitting on all 4 tires. Again no flex that could be detected. In addition to being happy my fuel pump issues should be behind me, I am very happy about the overall condition of this car, I really feel fortunate.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 01, 2021 06:34PM

PM Sent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.