Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fuel Pump Loose Screws
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: September 19, 2021 05:47PM

The screws on my fuel pump came loose for the 2nd time this year and honestly it was surprising how much they had loosened in a few months of driving.

So is there any value in trying Loc-Tite or just go right for longer screws and lock nuts?

The minimal leaking stopped when I tightened the screws but this is not something I want to keep repeating.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Loose Screws
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 19, 2021 06:52PM

I would go with longer screws and either lock nuts or Locktite. The threads in the lower housing are probably loose tolerance. Do one screw at a time.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 19, 2021 08:01PM

Gary, It probably wont happen again. There are three layers of rubber in the pump parts stack that can compress with time, and hopefully they wont compress any further. Is your pump mount bolt adjusted properly so that the pump dosent rock while its running? that can work the screws loose.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 19, 2021 10:11PM

If the threads on the screws go all the way through the lower housing, re-install each one with Loc-tite. If they don't go all the way through, find longer bolts first.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.