Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Powerglide Pan Gasket Best Practices?
Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: September 19, 2021 10:30AM

I am trying to help a high school kid with his 61 powerglide car (hey, he thinks it cool!). It has a REALLY badly leaking pan gasket. As in, it's a pretty constant drip if the car is at any angle. I tried to tighten the bolts a bit, but that might have made it worse! (the gasket is mush)

So, I have little experience with Powerglides, what is the suggested best practices?

Should I put gasket sealer on it (a very thin coating of course). Both sides? Cover side only (which is what I do for valve covers?

Most importantly, what torque? (I show 60-80 in/pounds) Use thread locker?

I am guessing, drive it a bit and re-check the torque (always a good idea with valve and oil pans)

And yes, I will see if I can get him do do most of the work (the car is a bit of mess in some ways from what previous owners have done)

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide Pan Gasket Best Practices?
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 19, 2021 11:33AM

Cork/rubber composite gaskets work well. Flattening the pan at all bolt holes if they are dimpled (usually are) is essential. Clean dry installation with a very thin coat of Permatex #2 is what I use. I do not use a torque spec but I tighten each bolt while watching the gasket edge. as soon as the gasket edge starts to squish out just a hair the bolt tension is good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 19, 2021 01:11PM

Get this gasket and all the others that John Sweet (jasvair on here) lists as THE BEST. Far superior to anything out there. No squeeze out, no leaks, no kidding.

[www.ebay.com]

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 01:13PM by Wagon Master.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 19, 2021 01:15PM

Make sure the throttle lever o-ring is not leaking also as you have to remove the pan to change it. It would probably be a good idea just to do them both unless you know for sure that the o-ring is not leaking.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: aircooled ()
Date: September 19, 2021 05:40PM

OK, thanks for the advice and heads up.

Tim
Southern California - Where the stars are on the ground and dirt is in the sky

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.