Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Original Refurbished Parts are the Best!!!
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: September 16, 2021 02:47PM

So the Glenn Corvair was not running well after I got it back from the museum - idling rough, no pep, bogging, etc.

So I pulled the carburetors, cleaned them and replaced the throttle shafts, replaced the NEW coil with one of my repainted 57+ year old ORIGINAL Delco-Remy “135” coils, replaced the NEW points with a set of ORIGINAL cleaned Delco points, then re-tuned everything ans now it runs GREAT!!

Idles @ 500 (in drive), dwell 31 degrees, timing 14 BTDC, accelerates smooth with power - even with the AC running(!!) - and no more “loping”smileys with beer

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Original Refurbished Parts are the Best!!!
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 16, 2021 06:33PM

Congratulations! Sounds like you ought to tour the country tuning Corvairs and solving mysteries.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 17, 2021 04:49AM

I try to do one thing at a time so I know what did it. Sometimes you do several one at a time things until you hit the big one so the sum total of fixing several marginal things really comes together well.
My supply of original Delco points is getting low, maybe I should be watching for more.
The Glenn Corvair is fantastic and was a long road, glad to hear it's now running as good as it looks.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 17, 2021 05:11AM

Glad to hear the car is in top running condition!

You need to change one thing at a time - so you know what solved it!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: September 17, 2021 06:30AM

Sorry I left that detail out. Yes, I actually did change parts one at a time and rechecked, in this order:
1) Right Carburetor (slight improvement in idle)
2) Points - no change
3) Coil - huge improvement
4) Left carburetor - additional improvement.

My conclusion is that it was a combination of carburetor and ignition:
- Carburetors had slightly worn throttle shafts, allowing slight vacuum leakage, and the right one was worse than the left.
- points were OK, but the newly manufactured ones do not look as durable as the original Delco points
- the new coil was defective - the negative terminal stud threads were slightly stripped, such that the nut could not be firmly tightened. I suspect that was causing most of the trouble.

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad to hear the car is in top running condition!
>
> You need to change one thing at a time - so you know what solved it!
>
>
> Eric P.
> DeWitt, IA

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 17, 2021 07:42AM

What Bill knows and has aptly demonstrated was the lost art of "Tune-up". (not kidding).

While many try to find the "one thing" that causing a problem, sometimes there are several little things that conspire and confound.

Once all the parts are good, the second level is to *adjust* settings so the relationship between carburetors and timing is in harmony. That's when you get to enjoy a well-tuned engine.

Kudos to Bill! smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 17, 2021 09:06AM

cnicol Wrote:
> What Bill knows and has aptly demonstrated was the lost art of "Tune-up". (not kidding).
>
> While many try to find the "one thing" that causing a problem, sometimes there are several little things that conspire and confound.
>
> Once all the parts are good, the second level is to *adjust* settings so the relationship between carburetors and timing is in harmony. That's when you get to enjoy a well-tuned engine.
>
> Kudos to Bill! smileys with beer

Good point --- Decades ago I read a great book on catastrophic engineering failures. The one common theme in most failures is a combination of many little things that go wrong. It gave rise to the old saying "This is a real train wreck".

When railroads first expanded in this country, disastrous crashes prompted an in depth study. In most cases the tragic accidents were a combination of number of small things that went wrong in a sequence that caused catastrophic failure.

As far as defective new parts go. It seems worse now, but it's always been a problem. A fellow in our club worked on Corvairs at a Chevy dealer in his youth. He likes to say "Just because a part is new, doesn't mean it's good".

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 17, 2021 09:35AM

youth. He likes to say "Just because a part is new, doesn't mean it's good".[/color]

Everyone knows what NEW stands for, right?

Never
Ever
Worked

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 17, 2021 03:32PM

I really suspect the points as the real issue here. They corrode when they sit, especially if the points are open when the engine stops. And I have bad new aftermarket points out of the box, yes I believe in not all new parts are good!

I heard the car at Springfield and it sounded good then with no issues. Coils don't fail just sitting.
Could it have been junk in the carb? Possibly but the hand over the carb top while running would have cleared that to know if it was carbs. If the throttle shafts were the culprit it would have run the same way at Springfield.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 17, 2021 03:41PM

vairmech Wrote:
> I really suspect the points as the real issue here. They corrode when they sit, especially if the points are open when the engine stops.

Yes I had that issue once on a car that sat for many weeks. The car started and went down the road fine, but after 10 minutes the engine STOPPED! I checked the points gap and it was fine, but no spark. I scrapped the points with a screw driver and it started right up!!

Date: September 17, 2021 05:09PM

Sorry, Ken - it wasn’t the points - I checked them and they weren’t corroded. I replaced them just because I didn’t like the crappy looking construction compared to the Delco points.

I’m pretty sure what happened was largely related to the stripped negative terminal on the coil. Here’s the problem with an AC car - the coil wire is routed through the center of the compressor belt from the coil mounted on the rear to the distributor. Therefore, in order to remove the distributor cap, you have to disconnect this wire from the coil. I believe that at some point in doing so, that coil terminal stripped out such that the wire was not tightly secured to the coil. It was “good enough” for the short little low speed drives I did in Springfield, but once I got it back home and took some longer drives, I believe the terminal loosened up just a bit, causing an intermittent disconnection - think of it as high resistance.

I only discovered this when I decided to check the points and had to remove that wire - to my surprise I could not retighten it - and that’s when I changed the coil.

So Ken, it wasn’t the points, but it was the point circuit.

vairmech Wrote:
----I’ll---------------------------------------------------
> I really suspect the points as the real issue here. They corrode when they sit, especially if the points are open when the engine stops. And I have bad new aftermarket points out of the box, yes I believe in not all new parts are good!
>
> I heard the car at Springfield and it sounded good then with no issues. Coils don't fail just sitting.
> Could it have been junk in the carb? Possibly but the hand over the carb top while running would have cleared that to know if it was carbs. If the throttle shafts were the culprit it would have run the same way at Springfield.

Bill Hubbell,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.