Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LEDs in Corsa Dash, too bright
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 16, 2021 06:18AM

Has anyone installed LEDs in a Corsa dash that are so bright you feel they need dimming at night. I installed what some folks suggested here and they are better than my first LEDs or stock. I seldom drive at night, but did last week after a drive and dinner out. They were clearly visible, but not overwhelming at full power. When this car and I were both young, the dash seemed plently bright. Maybe its just all my other cars are new and there are lots of LED head lights coming at me. Plus I'm getting older.

My turn signal and high beam indicator are plenty bright, new problem seeing them on a sunny day with the top down.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LEDs in Corsa Dash, too bright
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: September 16, 2021 07:30AM

I find I prefer my LED Dash lights as dim as they will go, if I turn them up higher they are kind of overwhelming. At the dimmest setting I'm happy with them and they don't affect my night vision out of the car.

Had a chance to drive about 25 miles home on remote roads this past Saturday and very pleased with my halogen sealed beams. High Beams were great, Low Beams a little low and left one a bit too much to the right. Made some adjustments to improve the Low Beams, looking for another dark ride to check them out.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 16, 2021 08:00AM

Gary, Good to hear. Did you adjust them per the 65 shop manual, pointing the beams at a wall at a given distance?

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 16, 2021 08:35AM

A few years back I installed the "warm white" and dimmable LED's BA9S-WWHP5 from Superbrite and they are just right on full bright driving in the city. About 15% brighter vs. the old incandescent bulbs.

I tried the white or what I call blue white LED's and they seemed brighter and didn't give a good color contrast (red needles didn't show up well).

The kept the incandescent HI-BEAM indicator bulb as LED is too bright and distracting.

The green LED'S for the turn signals made them visible in my convertible during the day - barely, but much better than the incandescent bulbs.

BTW -- IF you install LED's in the front turn, dash indicator, and rear turn/stop you'll have issues with ANY flasher since diodes don't turn on until about 0.7 volts and you need a small resistance to ground. Every thing worked great, EXCEPT when the the turn signal and night driving lamps were on. A 1,100 ohm resistor from the turn/stop wire to ground in the rear fixed the problem.

If one of the front, instrument turn indicator, or rear bulbs (on either psg. or drv. side) is incandescent then you DON'T have to add the 1,100 ohm resistor.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 16, 2021 08:50AM

I am still using my Halogen head lights as well, for many years. The low and high beams worked very well on several miles of back roads with no other light. High beams are as good as on our modern cars.

I have some projector LEDs to install, but its a major job to do it correctly, at least what I call correctly.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: September 16, 2021 08:56AM

Use dimmable LEDs in the dash. I put them in the dash of my '73 and I'm glad I used the dimmables.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 16, 2021 10:21AM

Dimmable or lower lumen bulbs.

66RTVair
Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza DP Racecar
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Westds ()
Date: September 17, 2021 02:01PM

I used green LED's and they work much better than the white. The inside of the gauges id painted a light green and the numbers printed on the clear plastic look good. Green is the way to go.

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: September 17, 2021 02:47PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary, Good to hear. Did you adjust them per the 65 shop manual, pointing the beams at a wall at a given distance?

I adjusted them from memory against my garage door (but that memory was 40+ years ago and not halogen bulbs. On the road I could see exactly what they were doing and they were close to where I'd want them (so I don't blind oncoming drivers). What I did for this adjustment was 3 turns of each adjusting screw in the direction they needed to go. Next time out at night I decide they need more of what I did or I did too much and dial them in a little better.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.