Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Oil "T" installation
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: September 14, 2021 02:47PM

Need a little help on the installation of the oil T, oil pressure switch and oil line for my turbo.

I think the oil T (https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=46) installs on the adaptor in place of the switch? If so, does the turbo oil line attach at the lower hole in the T, and the oil switch installs at an angle near the top of the T?

Photos would be helpful.

Thanks

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Convertible
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil "T" installation
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2021 02:52PM

You are correct. That is the only way you can do it as the oil pressure switch is pipe threads and the turbo line is double flare.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: September 14, 2021 03:09PM

Thanks, the diagram in Clark's catalog seems to show the oil line coming out of the top hole. Diagram is probably from the assembly manual - I didn't check.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Convertible
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 14, 2021 04:08PM

I like to use some anti seize on those fittings. Be careful tightening the "T" into the oil filter adapter plate. I once broke one trying to get 1 more turn.
I was a lot younger back then. I also figured out to use a cloth/rag and a larger open end wrench (on the 9/16 [?] end) to prevent chipping the chrome.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 15, 2021 05:29AM

Also, keep it as short as possible, since vibration will eventually crack the pipe at the threads. I had one on my 1963 Spyder back when it was new, and it cracked and spewed oil all over the engine. I was on the highway when this happened, and was able to fix it with the tools that I had with me, but it wasn't pretty afterward, and required a trip to the Chevy parts department for a new chrome line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: knucklefreak ()
Date: September 15, 2021 08:04AM

If you use a standard hardware store nipple they will give you a schedule 40
nipple and it will crack at the thread/pipe interface. Industrial codes require a
minimum of a schedule 80 nipple where vibration is present on the threads. If a slight restriction in inside diameter (and flow rate at the nipple) won't cause any problem a schedule 160 nipple resists cracking at the threads even better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.