Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM differential in an EM CC article?
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 13, 2021 10:50PM

Wouldn't that put some serious stress on the parts binding them up like that?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM differential in an EM CC article?
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 14, 2021 04:02AM

Without modification yes it will. As the early suspension flexes the axles move in and out of the differential and will hit the late yoke nuts inside and eventually take out the bearings. That is if the axles would even bolt in.

With that, can it be made to work?

Sure.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 14, 2021 06:01AM

That article was bad, I cant believe it got printed , shortening the spline then welding ?? thats what you do when you on the road and you need a quick fix to get home.the amount of plunge is almost non existent, I must of not got the memo about the seal leaking on an early and ive had 3 !

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 14, 2021 06:36AM

I've known Fran for quite some time.

He puts lots and lots of miles on his Corvairs, which are all modified / improved in some way - and he has been writing tech articles for longer than I have been alive.

I believe that this modification is on his '64 Spyder, and it has 20k miles since the mod.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: September 14, 2021 09:11AM

After showing the weld at the end of the article it says no welding. ???

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 14, 2021 10:57AM

Why? The original system works fine...thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: September 14, 2021 04:36PM

Years ago when my van was my only transportation I had a diff go belly up on me. IIRC the carrier cover had broken and I didn't have any EM diff parts to replace it. I did, however, have a good LM(65) one. Bolted it in and used the FC yokes. Only modification I had to do was add 1/4" spacers under the wheel bearing mounting studs to keep the yokes from bottoming out. Drove it that way for a week or so to and from work without problems while waiting for parts to arrive from Clarks. Only real annoyance was no spedo. Not that I would recommend doing it only that I made it work in a pinch.

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 15, 2021 05:31AM

I have several EM differentials on the shelf with what I call "yoke slop". The yoke has so much axial play that the seal can't keep the oil in.

I've been meaning to go see Fran about this modification for a few years now. He's been laying low with the Covid thing because his wife has some recent health issues.

I haven't read the article yet but from what I understand he is shortening the axle a bit by grinding and each one is a unique amount.

From what I gather Fran is mixing EM and LM parts so the differential is the proper EM width but has a LM yoke secured by the bolt.

Honestly I've just been swapping in whole assemblies so far but the time is coming where I will need to do a repair one way or the other.

I've always been leaning toward the Ken Hand method. I believe he machines and installs a sleeve.

I know Fran has been running this for a long time, I believe plenty long enough to see if a bearing fails or something.

It's a whole different story doing a modification on your own Corvair where you can continue to monitor rather than someone else's Corvair where you set it free.

Fran Schmit thinks outside the box, sort of like Bob Ballew and is it Schmitty with the Lakewood?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 15, 2021 07:13AM

It can't be a good thing. The movement has to be accounted for somewhere. I guess the control arm bushings give enough or the control arms themselves flex enough to account for the amount the bushings can't.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 15, 2021 10:08AM

Jim
and is it Schmitty with the Lakewood?

Smitty was with the 1964 Station Wagon. It was damaged beyond what he wanted to fix in an accident.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: September 15, 2021 11:11AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It can't be a good thing. The movement has to be accounted for somewhere. I guess the control arm bushings give enough or the control arms themselves flex enough to account for the amount the bushings can't.

Right, it can't be a good thing, the u-joint is on the same axis as the swing arm pivots but not perfect, so now without slip the u-joint is the posterior(?) swing arm pivot and rigid at that. The EM swing arm sees significantly more potential(4X’s) axle load than LM axles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.