Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: People suckspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 09, 2021 05:10AM

When it comes to rebuilding engines people often balk at the price and begin backpedaling to a repair or refresh.
When it comes to selling the car people often say the engine was rebuilt.
I furnish extensive Notes with the Invoice so people can see every part and what was done.
It's easy to go past $5000 rebuilding a Corvair engine.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 09, 2021 05:10AM

I would pull the oil pan and make sure the oil pick up is not full of sludge where oil can go get picked up. Then I would pull the oil pump and inspect it for damage. I would go through the system and make sure it is clean and free to flow oil. All components are also ensured new or verified properly operating before I would start engine again.

Date: September 09, 2021 05:22AM

Jim:

How I know! My More Door sale price will probably be adjusted after this engine rebuild. There is more into the engine this time, than what happened with the upper section rework I did 30 months ago.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 09, 2021 05:59AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Crooks and scammers have no conscience.

I forgot to mention that I know of one classic car flipper who purchased a Corvair from me that later sold it out of a Florida dealership through eBay telling the buyers that I had completely rebuilt the engine the year before. The buyer later found me though this forum and I told him I had never made that claim and even pointed out here in several posts here that the engine in that 66 vert was originally from an FC. He tried to go after the dealer for fraud but I doubt it went anywhere since he lived in Washington State and the dealer in Florida had already moved to another location and changed their business name.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 09, 2021 07:20AM

A friend of mine in Alabama recently purchased a Monza convert, He called me about the car because the seller said i had done alot of work on it. Never seen the car in my life !

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 09, 2021 08:32AM

Over on the "CorvairForum" there are a number of folks saying "I just bought this Corvair and it has a problem ------" The explanation of the "problem" suggests the author knows little about a Corvair and probably bought the car cheap because it would not run right.

Typically only a person knowledgeable about a car would buy a car with problems that he could deal with. I suspect car flippers are buying up Corvairs with issues hoping to make a quick fix to sell them as in good shape.

Not surprisingly you never hear a reply from these "I just bought this Corvair and it has a problem ------" characters.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 09, 2021 01:17PM

"Over on the "Corvair Forum" there are a number of folks saying "I just bought this Corvair and it has a problem ------" The explanation of the "problem" suggests the author knows little about a Corvair ... ."

As someone who has always done my own work on my cars sometimes I need to jog my mind that not everyone does that. For me working on my cars IS the reason I'm in the hobby. But for some people they are likely more gifted at making money with a different skill and would rather pay someone else to do all the work. For me, tools raised above my head shouting, "From my cold dead hands," I struggle to grasp the mindset of others who don't work on their own cars. But I have to acknowledge that they have a place in the hobby as much as anyone else.

Depending on the tone the person writes with about their problem I don't know to pity them ... (naïve), or to think 'how stupid can you be (arrogant purchase)?' For example there are cars that look all nice from the underside with a fresh spraying of undercoat. But when the naïve new owner goes to put a carpet kit in and finds the floors all rotted (visible from the top side) a sad reality hits them in the face. While it is not right to defraud people the term "Buyer Beware" exists for a reason. Due diligence vs emotion.

"Not surprisingly you never hear a reply from these "I just bought this Corvair and it has a problem ------" characters."

My experience has been this type of person, as abrupt a decision to buy a Corvair..., they also sell. It was likely more about something different in their life than something specifically "Corvair."

Date: September 09, 2021 01:46PM

To me, everyone jumped on the bandwagon that previous owners of Corvairs must suck for what they sold and didn't know how to fix car. Everyone should know how to check out an old car or know someone who can help them with one they are looking at. A seller will only point out the good things on the car but none of the bad. Doesn't matter if it is new car or 100 years old.

BUT go back and read the Original post. A rod knock shows up after 500 miles. Why didn't the seller disclose it and why wasn't it heard at time of purchase. Good questions but not germaine to getting it fixed. A rod knock should have been heard within a few miles if it was going out.

There is something going on with the engine, IF there was 3 oil changes in 500 miles. I want to know the reason for each oil change. Forget knocking the previous owner, the current owner or anyone. Time to get the the root cause instead of staying with the crap on the old owners band wagon.

That is why we are here. To offer technical help to get owner back running again.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 09, 2021 03:12PM

Lane66m Wrote:
> Everyone should know how to check out an old car or know someone who can help them with one they are looking at.
====================================================================

As Al writes.... "YOU BOUGHT IT", don't complain!!

I've burnt myself a few times...but got lucky more! You pay your $$$ and take your chances...

Bought a Vair that the lifters would rattle some days...from cold start to the end of that day! Next day fine..quiet!

Pulled the pan...no debris or obstructions... PO had changed one head....checked that side.... all was well. Went to other side and rockers were adjusted to "0" lash! Gave them 1/4 turn more and it's been totally quiet since then [ 7+ years /11k miles ].

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: September 09, 2021 03:34PM

The crank in that engine needs to be junked, too much stress.
Maybe the rods also.
Also, people suck who buy stuff :
Like getting a rebuilt engine, and forgetting to put oil in it.
Then running it and saying it is the builder's fault.
When it starts banging away.
Or driving for ten miles to get home with no fan belt.
And blaming the engine builder.
Lucky I had a witness to that one.
Dropping a Weber emulsion tube down the intake and saying something is making a knocking noise.
In the engine you built for me.
And finding the emulsion tube embedded in the head.
Actual experiences.
Yeah, buyers are not so honest either.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 10, 2021 05:06AM

Lane66m Wrote:
> To me, everyone jumped on the bandwagon that previous owners of Corvairs must suck for what they sold...

Well the thread title is "People Suck" so we can't leave that alone.

> IF there was 3 oil changes in 500 miles. I want to know the reason for each oil change.

Maybe he bought it 3 years ago and you are supposed to change the oil at 3000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. He's been posting about this car since 2019 and it looks like he had it prior to joining the forum. grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: September 10, 2021 05:50AM

Dave:

Not the point of my post. It is not the OP's post at issue. It is everyone else ignoring the technical aspect and jumping on berating owners of Corvairs who have wronged somebody with a used car sale or they have seen crap done by someone.

He needs good help to get through this new issue. I gave him my suggestions and a few others also did. But majority were bashing Corvair owners instead of helping. I will now drop off this discussion since I am no longer helping him.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 10, 2021 12:34PM

Well his original post was about how people such and he felt cheated.
He didn't ask for any help or advice.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 10, 2021 01:56PM

The original post ended with:

"Thank you for listening to me whine"

Later after he presented a picture of the failed bearing it was explained to him that yes, bearings do fail and have a flanged appearance though they are not made that way. He then replied:

"Ok, always something to learn"

Those were the only posts he made over more than 48 hours. From that interaction I'd assume the poster doesn't want to mentally, physically, financially "go there" as it regards fixing the problem - at least at this time. He is distraught, discouraged. There is no easy, inexpensive fix.

Perhaps once this settles for him he will then be ready to ask for help. For the time being he just seemed to want to vent. I took the other posts to imply that 'unfortunately he isn't the only one.' Whether he finds solace in that is yet to be determined.

Posted by: Wurth1 ()
Date: September 10, 2021 02:57PM

Guys...Guys! I inadvertently seem to have stirred up a rat's nest...
Ok, first of all I have learned that what looked like the remains of a flanged bearing half was not.
In my defense I did include verbiage such as "looks like" and "I have no evidence "
Next, oil was changed after purchase, following about 8 months of car being stored and when I installed a new John sweet pan gasket ( at which point I checked the pick up and saw no bits of metal when cleaning pan) BTW pan gasket was not a major leak issue.
The failure seemed to come on quickly and caught me quite by surprise....in fact I first was sure the noise was something else, and posted inquiring about flywheel noise.
Any way the wear on the #6 bearing was waaayyy worse then the other 5, and so my mind went spinning....I merely was venting and, expressing my disgust at the possibility that someone done someone wrong because it happens too often.
As always I thank everyone for their input

Posted by: LeeS ()
Date: September 10, 2021 06:21PM

So many Martian responses to a Venusian post...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 10, 2021 07:04PM

LeeS Wrote:
> So many Martian responses to a Venusian post...

But that is the NATURE of Martians! cool smiley
We just want to get to the root of a problem and FIX IT! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 10, 2021 08:34PM

Most people in the world are good.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 10, 2021 09:52PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> Most people in the world are good.
============================================

I AGREE!;

But say 1% are "not good"

Town of 100.... one bad apple....

City if one million....10,000 "bad apples" starts stinking pretty bad....

just saying.....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 11, 2021 05:06PM

Trouble is, today there seems to be an increase in people who are just plain evil. Scammers are at the top of my list.

-Mark

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.