Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
People suckspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Wurth1 ()
Date: September 08, 2021 10:59AM

So I am finally making progress on my 64 Vert....got the powerpack pulled....engine on a stand and started tearing her down. I knew I had a rod knock in #6. The engine was purchased as a used good engine by PO. I have know idea of the history other than what I was told....good used freshened up re-sealed 65 110. I maybe drove the car 500 miles since purchase ...oil changed 3 times...Rotella 10-30. Anyway developed knock ...messed around eventually opened the top and found the issue. So I'm tearing it down and I find the #6 bearing was changed....how do I know?...it's the only flanged rod bearing in the engine. Now I have no direct evidence but unfortunately I believe some less than trustworthy dufus "band aided" it so he could sell it. And thus...."people suck"
Thank you for listening to me whine

Wade Whitney
N.E. Pennsylvania
64 Monza vert 110/4spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: People suckspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: September 08, 2021 11:16AM

Flanged rod bearing ?
Show us a picture.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 08, 2021 11:53AM

Yes. Liars too. I bought a trailer with "less than 3 year old" tires. They started coming apart immediately so I checked the date codes all were 10-13 years old. Unfortunately that is the norm. I picked up 8 used tires for my car hauler Monday. Guy said he couldn't find the date code on them but he bought them 3 years ago so he knew that they couldn't be over 3.5 years old. I got there and they all have plain as day date codes a little over 6 years old. I seriously doubt that he bought 2.5 year old tires new but it is possible.
I won't even get into all the "rebuilt" engines and transmissions. I would say one out of 20 prove to be true. I've only bought 2 Corvairs over the years with rebuilt engines that actually were and I'm not 100% sure about one of them.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 08, 2021 12:19PM

I've seen rod bearings that have spun and the bearing pushes out the side causing the appearance of being flanged (Google image, not mine). While I'm no Corvair expert (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn once) I have never heard or seen of a flanged rod bearing. When you consider rod side clearances the flange would have to be only a few thousandths thick if such a bearing existed.

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 08, 2021 01:01PM

I've bought one engine in my life that was actually built with exactly what the seller claimed was inside. It came with a build sheet from a well-known builder in town. That was a 455 Olds from a jet boat.

I've bought many engines that sellers claimed were good runners but were not. I usually buy engines at near core values (or less) so not a big deal when what is inside is old and tired.

I even got an engine from someone here that was a lemon but I don't think they knew it. They probably just passed along the same stories they were told when they bought it from someone years before had but never ran it or looked inside. I fixed that one and got on with life.

Engines that are painted with a rattle can the week before they go up for sale are the best giveaway that you should run away or prepare for disappointment.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: September 08, 2021 01:04PM

Isn't a rattle can paint job how you rebuild an engine?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: September 08, 2021 01:16PM

I once looked at a Corvair on the side of the road.

The owner came out and told me he had just restored it.

It obviously did not look like it so I asked, and he said, why just last week

I put a battery in it and new brake shoes. DUH!!

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction

1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan

House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: September 08, 2021 01:28PM

2ragtops Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I once looked at a Corvair on the side of the road.
>
> The owner came out and told me he had just restored it.
>
> It obviously did not look like it so I asked, and he said, why just last week
>
> I put a battery in it and new brake shoes. DUH!!

LOL...if a battery and brake shoes are a complete restore, I have to increase my prices. grinning smiley. drinking smiley

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: September 08, 2021 02:03PM

This is the cap side the thrust/rod side was a normal rod bearing.... also paper thin

Attachments:

Date: September 08, 2021 02:27PM

That flange is bearing material the squished out. It wasn't there originally.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: September 08, 2021 02:29PM

I'm no expert either, one half of one bearing squeezed out on the cap half only?
The transition from the flat of the bearing to the flange( if it is a flange)runs the full length and looks to perfect to be just smashed out. However I'm open to any explanation

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: September 08, 2021 02:35PM

It’s a regular bearing as mentioned. Repeated hammering as it runs once it’s failed squishes it out. Seen it plenty of times.

Date: September 08, 2021 02:41PM

Ok, always something to learn

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 08, 2021 02:58PM

Not unusual to find tires that are a few years old, and never been mounted. I purchased some Good Year trailer tires and they were 3 years old when I bought them. I have gotten good service out of them so far. If they were radial tires, I wouldn't have bought them, but bias ply tires don't fail like radials do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 08, 2021 03:18PM

Looks like a bearing that was run with no oil and finally squeezed the bearing material out when it got hot.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 08, 2021 03:52PM

There are some Crooks in Corvair world, I dont know how some sleep at night

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 08, 2021 07:45PM

junkman Wrote:
> Not unusual to find tires that are a few years old, and never been mounted. I purchased some Good Year trailer tires and they were 3 years old when I bought them. I have gotten good service out of them so far. If they were radial tires, I wouldn't have bought them, but bias ply tires don't fail like radials do.

True -- Whenever I call the tire place for new tires I say "If the date code is more than a year old I'M NOT BUYING THEM"!!! I DO inspect the tires before they mount them. So far no issues.

You never know how long a tire has sat in some warehouse.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 08, 2021 08:08PM

Crooks and scammers have no conscience. And they don't care how badly they hurt others. Fact is, they enjoy seeing others suffer. They are evil.

Don't ask me how I know.

-Mark

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: September 08, 2021 10:14PM

Wurth1 Wrote:
> I maybe drove the car 500 miles since purchase ...oil changed 3 times...Rotella 10-30. Anyway developed knock ...

I'm confused...
You are using quality oil, why would you change it 3 times in 500 miles? You shouldn't event need to fill the fuel tank 3 times in 500 miles.

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe
'66 140 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's

Posted by: link9711 ()
Date: September 09, 2021 04:41AM

Well still changing the oil would not do that no matter how meny times less you got a bad filter and stoped the oil flow.I would cut the oil filter open and check it should have metal from the bearing but should otherwize look normal.The oil filter should have a warrenty if shown diffective.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 04:42AM by link9711.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.