Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fuel pump issue
Posted by: vacman ()
Date: September 06, 2021 02:59PM

A couple of weeks ago I had a generator issue where the shaft broke off while I was driving. Naturally it threw the fan belt but I was less than 2 miles from home and drove it home. I was able to get another generator and also replace the voltage regular. It seems the fuel pump is now not working. Could I have done something to it when I drove it? I took the pump off, and manually it is working. I put a hose in a gas can, worked the pump and it seems fine. I was able to pull gas from the tank through the line and it seems fine. Also, the part the fuel pump connects in seems to be going up and down. When I replace the fuel pump, it is not pulling any gas or pumping it out. Any suggestions? Also, how are the electric pumps for these? If I put gas in the carbs the car runs. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel pump issue
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 06, 2021 04:53PM

Try leaving the locking bolt loose, and have cam high spot up, then move the pump up and down by hand.

Inspect the hose at the fire wall, a small leak there and the pump can't pull gas.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 06, 2021 05:57PM

Driving a Corvair without the fan turning for two miles is NOT recommended.

Check for heat damage.

When the fuel pump retaining bolt is too tight it can bind the pump shaft.

As far as electric pumps go --- Air Tex and Facet cube pumps had a good reputation for years, but now Air Tex got bought out and someone posted the recent pumps are different and possibly not as good. No recent issues reported with the Facet cube pumps.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: September 06, 2021 06:31PM

After "REAL" Airtex 8016 were no longer available, I have been installing these. More expensive but I do not like comebacks and also use the Revolution Electronics Electric Fuel Pump Controller and a momentary toggle switch as a prime when car sits a period of time. This exact set up has been reliable so far.

Facet FAC-40002 [www.pegasusautoracing.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 06, 2021 07:56PM

Hi vacman, I have found that if the "set" bolt is not engaged just snugly into the dimple of the pump shaft housing, and the lock nut snugged down good, the pump will probably not work right. I've never seen a set bolt so tight that it collapsed the shaft / push rod, but I guess it would be possible. We get a lot of negative comments about the stock fuel pumps here, but I have had very little problems with them. Never enough so that I seriously considered the conversion to an electric one, with the enertia switch & all that re-wiring.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Date: September 07, 2021 04:03PM

I had the cam on the high side and put the pump on and pumped it several times manually, and fuel came out but when I hooked it up I could not get any fuel out of it, any ideas

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 07, 2021 07:09PM

Have you checked the rubber hose (possibly with a fuel filter) just forward of the engine compartment (see picture of rear brake hose in rear brake hose thread)? If this hose splits a little git, it will not suck gasoline, but will not leak either.

Wait, maybe you tested this in the above statement. What do you mean by hooked it up and no fuel came out? You mean the fuel bowls did not fill up? Think driving it 2 miles (was the red light on?) overheated the accelerator pumps cups and that is the problem? Have you had the carburetor tops off enough to see the float bowls?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 08, 2021 02:23AM

The red lights were on when I drove it home. What I did was I had the cam stem on its high side light suggested, I just set the pump down in its placed, pushed it up and down by hand about 10 times, and gas came out. However, when I bolted up the pump and turned the car over, no gas came out of the pump. If I pour gas in the carbs the car will start for a few seconds.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 08, 2021 04:58AM

I change to an electric fuel pump at every opportunity with no regrets.
I was a long time hold-out for mechanicals but have changed my ways.
Too much pressure, gas in the oil and excessive cranking on the starter are my top 3 reasons.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 08, 2021 08:32AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too much pressure, gas in the oil and excessive cranking on the starter are my top 3 reasons.

Let's see...Too much pressure? Fixed that. Gas in the oil? Fixed that. Extra cranking at startup? Bonus! Oil will already be circulating under pressure before the engine ever fires off. smiling smiley

Seriously, I run both mechanical and E-pumps on my Corvairs. E-pumps have given me as much trouble as mechanical pumps. YMMV

Vacman,

Still seems like a bad pump but if it works manually that's odd that it won't move fuel when installed. Are you sure the pump rod moves up and down fully? Do you feel air going in and out of the little hole on the top lid (which would help confirm the diaphragm is moving inside?

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 08, 2021 08:49AM

Are you certain the locking bolt is in the the pump dimple? Did you back off the jam nut enough to make certain the bolt is fully seated? Look at the push rod where it exits the pump, how long is it?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 08, 2021 09:22AM

I have had one where it would not work on an engine, but works like vacman says, when the rod is pushed in manually. I mounted it in an extra oil filter adapter and measured the difference in rod depth compared to a working pump. It was so close but slightly shorter. Now, why did it change from just overheating the engine? Obviously working when shut off. "Ah, sweet mystery of life".

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: LeeS ()
Date: September 08, 2021 09:29AM

Is it possible that the pump pushrod return spring lost its tension from having been overheated and the pushrod is now floating?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 08, 2021 09:38AM

"Driving a Corvair without the fan turning for two miles is NOT recommended."
"The red lights were on when I drove it home."
Those red lights are there for a reason. Red means STOP.
No telling what you damaged running it that hot. All kinds of bad things are going on long before the temp light ever comes on.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 08, 2021 09:59AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Driving a Corvair without the fan turning for two miles is NOT recommended."
> "The red lights were on when I drove it home."
> Those red lights are there for a reason. Red means STOP.
> No telling what you damaged running it that hot. All kinds of bad things are going on long before the temp light ever comes on.

This is why new cars have so many "computer nannies" to save the car.

My neighbor lady called me to say her car would not start. I checked the battery and it was good. I turned the key on and the "check engine light came on", but the starter would not engage. The first and easiest check was the oil dipstick and there was NO indication of oil. I poured in THREE QUARTS of oil before the dipstick indicated it was still 1.5 quarts LOW! After topping off the oil the car started!!

I suggested she have the oil changed ASAP.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 08, 2021 12:06PM

I would say that idiot protection kicked in a little too late if it needed 4.5 qts.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.