Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
How Do I Change Directional Bulb In Dash?
Posted by: Greggie ()
Date: September 06, 2021 05:26AM

How do I get to the left turn signal bulb in the instrument cluster? I pushed myself on the floor and when I look up I can see the light blue wire going into the bulb socket, but with my huge hands there is no way in the world I am getting to it. I don't think anyones hands can get at it. How do I access it to change the bulb? This is on a 63 Monza 900. Thanks!!

Freehold, New Jersey
63 Corvair Monza 900 Coupe
Acquired October 2020
Original Color = 919 Marine Aqua Metallic

Re: How Do I Change Directional Bulb In Dash?
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 06, 2021 06:05AM

Pull the instrument cluster...not that hard.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 06, 2021 06:09AM

I can't remember if you can get in there with it in place. I imagine the Light switch could be in the way.

You might want to pull the instrument panel out somewhat and get it from the top. There are screws around the visor and also 2 underneath, You may need to remove the 2 bolts underneath that hold the steering column so it can dangle a bit. A Powerglide shifter makes it a little more difficult.

If the indicator light and the LF light are both not getting current it could be a turn signal switch adjustment.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 06, 2021 06:29AM

Ask someone with small arm to each up and pop socket out of instrument panel an drop it down where it can be reached for bulb replacement. My wife Donna cN do it with ease.

Date: September 06, 2021 06:50AM

It's the perfect time to pull the instrument cluster and replace all the bulbs.
Remove the spedometer cable from the back to get it out where you can reach them.
Put a protective pad on the lowered steering column area while you are working on the cluster.

Lot's of fun!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 06, 2021 07:00AM

If you do replace all the bulbs, perhaps consider the LED bulbs made to replace the incandescent. They are bright and last forever in a Corviar. Well maybe not forever but 20+ years!

Also, be carful as you remove the dash, there are a lot of brittle, old wires there to get pulled loose. Those little bulbs go into the metal frame of each gauge to hold them in and ground them. If they get tugged loose by movement it can cause them to fail to light. The bulb sockets have to make good contact with their metal ground. As you begin to install the dash, test the bulbs as you go. Be sure the whole panel has the ground strap attached to the body.

If you don't have a shop manual, now is a good time to buy one.

66RTVair
Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza DP Racecar
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Greggie ()
Date: September 06, 2021 09:39AM

Thanks everyone for the tips!! I will give this a try. (yes the light switch or something is in the way)

Freehold, New Jersey
63 Corvair Monza 900 Coupe
Acquired October 2020
Original Color = 919 Marine Aqua Metallic

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 06, 2021 10:04AM

I use LEDs in my LM car, but a fellow in our club said the LED bulb would not fit his 63 instrument cluster. Not sure why, but something to consider.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 07, 2021 09:57AM

I went from hating removing my instrument cluster, to now it seems like I take it out every time I want to make a change. Folks are right, it's not as hard as you'd think. Something that nobody seems to have mentioned yet, is that in order to get it off, you're going to have to remove the headlight switch. Just the stem in the middle, not the whole thing. The way to do that, is to reach your hand up and get to the top of it. You'll find a little spring button that you press while pulling it out in order to get it all the way.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: September 07, 2021 10:10AM

He has a early model. Light switch assembly comes out with panel. Just have to take connector off if he is pulling it completely out. But for the bulb, remove screws and hopefully tilt it forward.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 07, 2021 08:13PM

Bob
Well maybe not forever but 20+ years!

Of course most of the bulbs in there now have lasted 50 years.winking smiley

SO the LEDS might really last forever....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 08, 2021 02:42AM

Or LED bulbs may last 2 weeks. Seems it is hit and miss with vehicle LED bulbs on reliability. I have used 8 bulbs in the More Door courtesy lights/license plate #67 bulbs locations over 2 years.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 08, 2021 04:52AM

With most things I like old original as compared to new Chinese so I wouldn't go changing them all out, but that's just me.
Also I don't like LEDs compared to good old incandescent or florescent. LEDs are annoyingly bright. It seems like you get used to them but I'd rather not. Again that's just me.
I'm happy basking in a warm glow.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 08, 2021 10:14AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With most things I like old original as compared to new Chinese so I wouldn't go changing them all out, but that's just me.
> Also I don't like LEDs compared to good old incandescent or florescent. LEDs are annoyingly bright. It seems like you get used to them but I'd rather not. Again that's just me.
> I'm happy basking in a warm glow.

Yes the early LED's had the awful blue/white color that is hard on the eyes. Now you can get "WARM WHITE" that have a color temperature similar to the old incandescent dash lamps. I got mine from Superbrite and they render the gauge face plate and needle colors correctly. They are also about 15% brighter in a Corsa instrument cluster, or just right for my old eyes.

Yes cheap LED's don't last and you find a lot of "cheap" on ebay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.