Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Battery for an early Corvair
Posted by: ace63 ()
Date: September 04, 2021 07:45PM

Noticed that my battery getting a little weak lately.
Does anyone have a source for a new battery for a 1963 Corvair?
Would like to find a Delco if possible.
Can't seem to find any ideas on the forums.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Battery for an early Corvair
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:02PM

51R

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:07PM

I just bought one for my 62 convert. at Napa. Their part number is 7551R. regular list price is $ 176.45. My step son works there so I get a great discount. I wish I could share the discount with you guys but it's not allowed. My Monza had an original Delco battery & it had sat for 25 years. Believe it or not, the thing actually took a charge & lasted several weeks before it finally failed. The new one is a ( private label ) Napa Legend. The original battery measured 4 5/8 X 13 " & the Legend measures 4 3/4 X 9 1/4". It fits the tray OK but is shorter.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:24PM

$176.45??? Hope it was a BIG discount. Costco has 51R Interstate batteries or $89.99.

Attachments:
Date: September 04, 2021 08:40PM

Well, I think just about everyone gets a discount of some sort or another at Napa. Then again, it's pretty hard to beat Costco. At least we have been able to let Joel know what P/N to look for. Good hunting, Joel.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:43PM

List price on that Napa battery here is $149.99 and then 30% on Super Saturday. I've had really good luck with Napa batteries.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 05, 2021 07:32AM

I have a dry cell NOS Delco battery available for $225 plus shipping. If you have an original car, then you need an original Delco, but if a daily driver, then go with the less expensive alternative battery from Interstate, NAPA, CarQuest, Advanced, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc.. Whomever has the lowest price. This is what I have in my 1964 Spyder, since it is a summer driver car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 05, 2021 07:47AM

If you don't care about originality and want the best...this Optima fits perfect.

This optima also fits perfectly inside a Forward Control battery compartment.

[www.summitracing.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 05, 2021 08:15AM

[www.samsclub.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 05, 2021 02:11PM

I guess batteries are like children. You never know what you will get. I bought a defective Napa battery at a swap meet for $3. It was barely a year into the 84 month pro-rate and I knew it had a lot of warranty left.

Turns out $36 got me a new ($89) battery and worth toting it 1/4 mile to my car from the swap meet. However..., in less than 3 years that well maintained (distilled water when needed) and float (not trickle) charged battery that saw little use also went bad. Regardless, goody for me, I got 3 years of battery for $36.

But run the "real" numbers and had it been the original purchaser and you get $89 for the original battery (1 year use), $36 for the prorated replacement (3 years use) and after the total of 4 years and a second bad battery you are told it will be another $89 (the prorate adjustment on the new battery that is now priced at $124) to replace this second defective battery.

You wind up with a discouraging averaged battery life of 2 years per battery at the cost of $125 (4 years) and are looking at another $89 for what based on history would be what, another 2 years (???). So, an anticipated battery life of 6 years (3 batteries) and a cost of $214. sad smiley Even at current prices I've bought $75 -$85 batteries and average about 7 years of everyday use. Napa has been good for me at other times but for batteries it has not worked out well.

But then when was the last time you saw a battery with the manufactures name molded into the case? I hear there are a small handful of places that make the batteries and the retailer just slaps their stick-on label on the side. So, what was a good battery at one time..., may not be the next and visa versa. In any case I hope Napa batteries work out well for you (and others).

Date: September 05, 2021 02:59PM

That's a great comment wittsend. My step son, who works for Napa, has mentioned to me that there are really only 2 manufacturers of batteries & every one just puts their private label on them.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 05, 2021 08:06PM

Yep, not many manufacturers of lead acid batteries (and Optima is lead acid also, just in a gel).

Here is the 2021 list:

[jgdarden.com]

Napa does not make batteries, neither does Interstate.winking smiley They do tell the manufacturers what specs they want batteries to meet to put their name on them.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 06, 2021 12:36AM

I haven't had to buy a battery in quite a while.
I have never bought one, but I have found that around here, "Alaskan Gold", seems to be pretty popular.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: link9711 ()
Date: September 06, 2021 07:03AM

Hi did you check walmart I have seen there prices on batterys are good price.I think there is only 2 places in the united states that make batterys.Johnson controls is where they all end up and they make a lable for the different places Ie napa,autozone,sears, there all the same batterys just a different lable.I talked to the one at johnson controls that did the warrenty for the batterys he said theres 3 types of batterys black,yellow and red color the difference is how strong the acid is.stronger the acid the better the battery some may have longer plates in them so more capacity but basically all the same.xpo is a nother place that stores batterys untill companys orders some then they make the lable and ship to there werehouse.Optima batterys are very good batterys untill they get drained and go dead they take a special charger at low amps to bring it back up and some times wonts come back up.but they are nice that you can mount them any way you wont and seems like batterys don't last like they use to.guess made cheap.smiling smiley

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Date: September 06, 2021 09:18AM

One thing I have always wondered about is if the higher CCA of a battery is based on more surface area, but that surface area has to fit inside the same constraints of a specific battery dimension it would seem that a higher CCA battery (often perceived as being a "better, stronger" battery) would actually be more fragile because to get the added surface area the plates have to be thinner???

"By adding more plates into a battery it is easy to generate high CCA’s, the downside of this however is the thickness and size of the plate and separator material is usually sacrificed. In cold climates, more battery plates and higher CCA’s excel but in warmer climates like Australia, corrosion, water loss, vibration and constant idling may bring this design to an early grave."

Date: September 06, 2021 06:03PM

I know the list I linked to is a lot to read, but it is clear there are two main lead acid battery manufacturers in the US.

Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls)

Exide (which bought GNcool smiley

Good old East Penn (Makes Douglas) is still around, just not a major manufacturer.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 13, 2021 06:40PM

You can get a reference part number from Pasco, a retail supplier in Salisbury, MD; their phone number is 410-546-2041. I purchased a battery from them last year to fit a '62 wagon. BTW, it's not a Delco, but that moment has pasted.
Also, there is always Clarks Corvair in Mass that you can try.
Hope this helps.

Date: September 13, 2021 08:16PM

Group 53 is the original size battery. It stayed in production for years maybe due to use in Lincoln welders. Deka and Exide were some of the last ones I saw for sale, but it has been several years now.

Group 51R is the go to size now.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 14, 2021 05:35AM

DEKA makes one that will fit; part number 429NF. It costs $128.85 at our local supplier, but six are currently on order with no estimated delivery date.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 14, 2021 08:31AM

Just go to Walmart and get a 1 yr.$59 battery and then you'll have a spare

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.