Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need help to install my new aftermarket stereo!
Posted by: GioGio ()
Date: September 04, 2021 05:55AM

I i am new here i just bought my first corvair 4 days ago and i want to put a new stereo system in the dash were the old stereo was, but there is so mutch open space i dont know how to attach the new stereo. Can someone help me !

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help to install my new aftermarket stereo!
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 04, 2021 07:07AM

The main thing you need is the brace that goes under the stereo. With an aftermarket, you can attach a generic one.

Also be sure that you have a good fuse on that circuit.

May I suggest that if your new stereo doesn't have a Bluetooth setup, that you return it for one that does. It'll make your life a lot simpler.

Also, get a very strong antenna if you don't intend to use the one that is installed in the car. You'd think that the stainless steel construction would help with radio reception, but I found that it hinders me. Somebody either moved or never had an antenna hole in mine, and I had to get a newer antenna because I didn't want to cut the car.

Message me and I'll give you my email address. This kind of thing is easier to work out either over the phone or by email.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 07:11AM by playerpage.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:41AM

What style of stereo are you installing? If it's a two knob "retro" style there are answers for that and if it's a "DIN" size rectangular radio, that's a whole different solution.

As for DIN: I recommend NOT cutting the dash. It's very difficult to make that adaption and end up with a satisfactory result. Plus, once cut it's a major effort to put it back. For a DIN radio, I recommend an under dash "pod".

With either approach, you need a strap to support the back of the stereo. Anchor the strap to a convenient bolt above the stereo. It doesn't take much.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 08:44AM by cnicol.

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 04, 2021 08:45AM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What style of stereo are you installing? If it's a two knob "retro" style there are answers for that and if it's a "DIN" size rectangular radio, that's a whole different solution.
>
> As for DIN: I recommend NOT cutting the dash. It's very difficult to make that adaption and end up with a satisfactory result. Plus, once cut it's a major effort to put it back. For a DIN radio, I recommend an under dash "pod".

INDEED ! ! !
X2 on what Craig said.
Do NOT start chopping up your dash!
If you don't like the looks of the old radio sitting there, install a block-off plate, but don't cut the dash.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: September 04, 2021 09:25AM

Thanks a lot yes its a single din boss stereo on ???? and for sur i dont want to cut noting on the car, i gonna tried to install a bracket that gonna hold it from the back and after that i want to place front speaker ????

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 04, 2021 10:55AM

I have owned my car since it was a little more than one year old. On of the very first things I did was to install the best Craig cassette play that I could afford at that time. (not a big fan of 8 track). Over the years I upgraded it to AM/FM cassette then AM/FM CD. Better speakers. Now its up to AM/FM CD, USB, blue tooth, hands free cell phone and more with 100 watts of power. I don't consider this concours correct, but to me its certainly PERIIOD correct. Mostly play SIRIUS from my phone through the blue tooth. Your car, Your choice. Also, added a wireless backup cam since it was my only vehicle without that.

Oh yeah, and the 50s and 60s songs never sounded so good, even in the day.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 10:59AM by jjohnsonjo.

Attachments:
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 04, 2021 11:43AM

Made we should say welcome and ask what type of Corvair it is?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: September 04, 2021 02:32PM

Thanks everyone ???? its a 1966 corvair monza coupe ( gonna put pictures soon,for the front speaker where did you put it? I dont want to lose my feet vent

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 05, 2021 12:52PM

Put these in a long time ago. I forget the power rating for the front, but it was up there for the size. Works well even in a Vert and did have to molest anything.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: September 06, 2021 10:56AM

For the front speakers,I installed Clark's front speaker replacement. The kit they sell,has a plate that mounts the two 4" speakers (supplied), and very easy instructions. The upgraded (better sound) speaker kit works very well. I bi-amped the system, with some decent 6x9's in the package tray, and a subwoofer in the rear seat area (rear seat delete), and when tweaked, the Clark's front two speakers really cover the front well. My $ .02

Here is the Clark's page: [ssl.corvair.com]

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 10:56AM by viewmaster.

Date: September 07, 2021 09:54AM

It's also possible to install a single speaker that is brand new and takes both left and right channels to it. I have bigger speakers in the back and then a single speaker in the dash where it used to go originally.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: September 07, 2021 12:54PM

Tanks again everyone i gonna tried the 2 4ins speaker in front i did my dash stereo and it really look good

Date: September 09, 2021 07:11PM

Pictures Please!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.