Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Corvair Parts Value on these forums, vs. eBay.
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 03, 2021 01:30PM

Yesterday, I listed a 1965 Turbo emblem and some other emblems and a headlight unit. Clarks hasn't had a 1965 turbo emblem in many years, and their last price was $135. I was offered $50 by someone for both the emblem, and a headlight unit that Clarks sells for $29. It isn't worth my time to try to help fellow Corvair owners that are looking for rare parts, when I get offers like that. I am not trying to get wealthy on these parts, but it seems that these forums are being trolled by the bottom feeders that are buying up parts to possibly resell to what Bill Hubbell referred to as the "ignorant" on eBay.

My ACTUAL goal is to get a FAIR price from knowledgeable people who are likely to appreciate and use them without selling on eBay. However, when you get insulting offers, what is one to do?

I don't see eBay buyers as ignorant, nor do I see the sellers as people that are out to take advantage of buyers. I see eBay as a venue where you can find a very rare part, and be able to purchase it at what is a fair market value. That means that to some, the price might be more than they want to spend, and to others, it means that they can get the part that they need. I needed a extremely rare part for my 1962 Chevrolet cruise control, and I was looking for that part for over 2 years. I paid what some might consider an exorbitant amount of money for the part, but without that part, my cruise control wouldn't work. To me, it was worth the price. The rarity of the part is what makes it desirable, and sometimes expensive. As for a Corsa dash, every Corsa came with one, so they are not are rare as say a multiplex unit for a Corvair, which is extremely rare. I have 2 NOS units! I spent days, weeks, months, & years searching Chevrolet dealership parts rooms, and I have lots of rare parts as a result that are available to purchase. These parts are my retirement plan. If you want an ounce of gold, you have to pay the going rate, not what gold was selling for when your car was built. Gold 1965 was $35.50, and price of gold today is $1798.50. A year ago it was $1923.90. Parts prices are the same, they fluctuate depending on the market, who wants them and when. 1965 front grille bars were selling for $500+, and now that they are reproduced, the price is half as much. Until someone reproduces the 1965 turbo emblem, there is someone out there that is willing to pay a fair price for one. The day that it is reproduced, the value will drop, but I doubt that it will ever be reproduced, because of the complexity of the item.
Your comments are welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Parts Value on these forums, vs. eBay.
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 03, 2021 01:42PM

>>My ACTUAL goal is to get a FAIR price from knowledgeable people <<

The question for you or anyone else is simple.

What would YOU, pay for a part?

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 03, 2021 01:48PM

We have some experience selling on ebay. I've noticed a lot more of the low-ball offers lately.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: September 03, 2021 01:51PM

I am also a big NOS guy and I have gotten way more into trading parts rather than selling. This is because once I put a cash value on it, I always remember that.
Personally I don't mind the Ebay low ball offers or the crazy high listing prices. For me its just part of the sales game that so many people want to play.
Now because of those games, Ebay is never my first to look for or sell a part, I tend to only use it for things I get that don't fit into the groups I work with.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 03, 2021 02:38PM

There are a lot of new Corvair owners that are ignorant of the rarity and value of certain parts. Establish a value of the part you wish to sell and make it the price you will take. If you ask for a best offer you open yourself up to low ballers.

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: September 03, 2021 03:00PM

irfgt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Establish a value of the part you wish to sell and make it the price you will take. If you ask for a best offer you open yourself up to low ballers.

What he said…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 03:04PM by flat_six.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: September 03, 2021 03:13PM

Some will...some wont...so what!! Moving on is your best part of Valor. My $ .02

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 03, 2021 04:27PM

On the other hand, I learned just today that I can buy a new fuel level sender that goes in the bottom of the fuel tank on Ebay for about $ 35.00. My favorite Corvair parts supplier's price for the exact same part ( kit ) is $ 65.00. This vendor is known for having pretty fair prices and often has parts that aren't available elsewhere. But to double the price for this is quite surprising to me.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 03, 2021 05:18PM

Doug:

Don't look at the rebuilt 2 spd wiper motor costs until you sit down. But first see what a Corvair 2 spd wiper motor goes for at other sources.

Yes, support the vendors but watch your budget also.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 03, 2021 05:35PM

I have purchased a few parts from Junkman over the years and have been very happy with the value of the deal overall.

Yes, I offered what I considered a fair price that was less than the asking price but he was open to offers and we were able to come to an agreement.

Many Corvair owners, (and this includes myself to some degree) are just to darn frugal for our own good.
It seems many of us have been round long enough to remember getting these vehicles for little or nothing and for years.

Unfortunately many of us seem to be stuck in the past when it comes to buying Corvair parts.
We tend to think they are only worth 1980's prices unless it is something we want to sell....At that point many feel the item is worth far more than an inflated market would support.

I have seen some great deals offered here on this site along with some outrageous asking prices for other items.

Many years ago before the internet and reproduction parts were around, I learned an important lesson.

If an item I need is available, it is worth the asking price.
If an item I need is not available....it is worth more.

Remember Need and Want are two very different when it comes to deciding to purchase a part or not.

In recent years as I have been blessed with a more generous disposable income than I once had.
I have a tendency to purchase parts I don't "Need", sometimes at what others might consider premium prices but if I can live with the price, that is all that matters.

Regarding those who had the foresight, ability or just plain old dumb luck to acquire NOS items and desirable used parts or simply had them sitting around for years, I can't fault them for asking fair prices for these items.
The cost of warehousing parts over a period of years, keeping them in good condition, cataloging and inventorying them sometimes exceeds their value in some instances.

Once in a while some of these items become more valuable than anyone would have thought they would. The seller is then blessed with a decent return on their investment but that too is infrequent.

In the end, if someone advertises an item you have been looking for for a long time, at a reasonable price, Buy It.
Don't insult a seller by offering 1980's prices in today's market. JMO

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 03, 2021 05:50PM

I purchase things in a mix of this forum, ebay, and other vendors.

Often new parts will be cheaper than old ones, but sometimes that can mean cheaply made too.

For instance, the reproduction gas float that cost $35 seems to work excellently. I bought one for my car years ago. However, newly built solenoids are very flimsy.

I try not to overpay, but neither do I try to rip anyone off when I have something to sell. I just need to sell for enough to make dealing with the sale worthwhile. Except of course when I go on those $5 part sprees.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 03, 2021 06:20PM

I am not afraid to spend money and do not consider myself a typical frugal Corvair owner.

Having said that I am always up for a bargain...it in my DNA from my Dad and my Gandpa.

Not going back to work this year (program canceled) so might have to budget a little bit.

Started an inventory of Craigslist (non Corvair) stuff for sale...anybody need Model A parts.

Posted by: 2-ragtops ()
Date: September 03, 2021 06:42PM

Phil

Send me a list of "A" parts, I am always open for that.

Bob Bauer
Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 03, 2021 06:44PM

All new gas tank senders are Chinese so they're a crapshoot. If the $65 one doesn't work I'll bet you get a replacement, if the $35 one doesn't work I wonder...

I used to sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. It sure takes a lot of time writing descriptions and such. Sometimes it's a pain if someone has an issue with something like if a used part actually looks used. Ebay often just forces you to do a refund and eat the shipping costs for a return, then you're on someone's good graces to even send it back. I had someone want to return 65 door panels because they didn't fit his 63. Shipping was almost as much as the parts. I had a guy wanting to return a 60 idler arm because his must be a late 60 with a 61 style part.
I might go back to Ebay when I can find some time.

People here have complained about too many parts for sale posts. Like anything I can just ignore what doesn't interest me.

My credo to live by the last few years has been Corvair parts aren't worth anything until someone needs something.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 03, 2021 06:45PM

I second Caraholic4life's comments about what Corvair owners should expect to pay in today's market, especially for rare and NOS parts. I'm most often amused at extraordinary asking prices (typically on ebay) for used parts that are common or in poor condition.
Steve

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 03, 2021 07:24PM

Sometimes you win..., sometimes not. YEARS ago I bought an Offenhauser intake manifold at a thrift store for $5.98. I just knew it was a good deal and assumed it was for a Pinto. 25 years later, I got myself a Pinto a-n-d..., the manifold turned out to be for a Vega. eye rolling smiley

I looked and the last two Vega Offenhauser manifolds sold for a bit over $100. I assumed that was the going rate. To catch interest I set the start price at $9.99 no reserve. In the end the manifold sold for $9.99. sad smiley So, 25+ years later with Ebay fees I broke even.

If a part is offered and only one person has interest that is the going rate on that day. I did not see your ad. It is helpful to have an asking price (as opposed to asking a buyer to make an offer) and in your case justify it with a reference to what Clark's previously charge so the buyer has a point of reference to what you are asking. People can ask whatever they want but in the end if the buyer is unwilling (or unable) to pay the amount that is their choosing. Hopefully in most purchases people can find a middle ground.

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: September 03, 2021 07:35PM

Jim is spot on. Parts only have value if needed. If not needed then a bargain is what makes it sell. You have to be patient which I am not.

Joe Nelson
Western WI

66 Corsa Turbo CPE
84 380SL
69 Monza CPE (sons car)

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: September 04, 2021 02:22AM

Please re-read my post about the Corsa dashes and you will see that it was not I who called people on eBay ignorant, but rather somebody else who responded to my post. I responded using his word, which I put in quotes, as I did not agree with the use of it.

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday, I listed a 1965 Turbo emblem and some other emblems and a headlight unit. Clarks hasn't had a 1965 turbo emblem in many years, and their last price was $135. I was offered $50 by someone for both the emblem, and a headlight unit that Clarks sells for $29. It isn't worth my time to try to help fellow Corvair owners that are looking for rare parts, when I get offers like that. I am not trying to get wealthy on these parts, but it seems that these forums are being trolled by the bottom feeders that are buying up parts to possibly resell to what Bill Hubbell referred to as the "ignorant" on eBay.
>
> My ACTUAL goal is to get a FAIR price from knowledgeable people who are likely to appreciate and use them without selling on eBay. However, when you get insulting offers, what is one to do?
>
> I don't see eBay buyers as ignorant, nor do I see the sellers as people that are out to take advantage of buyers. I see eBay as a venue where you can find a very rare part, and be able to purchase it at what is a fair market value. That means that to some, the price might be more than they want to spend, and to others, it means that they can get the part that they need. I needed a extremely rare part for my 1962 Chevrolet cruise control, and I was looking for that part for over 2 years. I paid what some might consider an exorbitant amount of money for the part, but without that part, my cruise control wouldn't work. To me, it was worth the price. The rarity of the part is what makes it desirable, and sometimes expensive. As for a Corsa dash, every Corsa came with one, so they are not are rare as say a multiplex unit for a Corvair, which is extremely rare. I have 2 NOS units! I spent days, weeks, months, & years searching Chevrolet dealership parts rooms, and I have lots of rare parts as a result that are available to purchase. These parts are my retirement plan. If you want an ounce of gold, you have to pay the going rate, not what gold was selling for when your car was built. Gold 1965 was $35.50, and price of gold today is $1798.50. A year ago it was $1923.90. Parts prices are the same, they fluctuate depending on the market, who wants them and when. 1965 front grille bars were selling for $500+, and now that they are reproduced, the price is half as much. Until someone reproduces the 1965 turbo emblem, there is someone out there that is willing to pay a fair price for one. The day that it is reproduced, the value will drop, but I doubt that it will ever be reproduced, because of the complexity of the item.
> Your comments are welcome.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: September 04, 2021 03:52AM

I am copying this post from my "Corsa Dashes for sale" thread as it pertains to this thread as well:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There has been a lot of discussion generated here and elsewhere about the value of these dashes and Corvair parts in general, and some of you have given me some heat over my decision to sell the parts in this fashion. I have been told that I should just "set a fair price" and some have even told me what that "fair price" should be, based, apparently, on their own specific formula.

While it is all well and good to set a fixed price for newly manufactured items of standardized quality with comparable items readily available (and even here there is always room for the individual to haggle and negotiate a better value), the same cannot be said for items of limited or dated availability. For such items, other factors come into play when deciding value, such as supply, condition, and proximity.

As our cars and parts age, supply of various items tends to decrease, as does condition. Demand may also be decreasing, as interested buyers age and pass away. At some point, however, there develops a definite point where the condition of the part (or car) being offered takes on an ever greater part of the value.

Your personal experience may have been one where you have been able to find cheap parts in good condition and therefore you think that experience should dictate the price of parts that are being sold by others. I assure you, it does not. Prices of goods and services is always dictated by supply and demand, but condition (quality) will also impact the value.

I made it clear that I was selling two dashes in what I considered to be very good condition and I backed up that assessment by providing the highest resolution photos this forum allows (which is NOT great) and by detailing the function and condition of individual elements. I compared my parts to items I had seen elsewhere. Short of actually placing the part in front of you, I don't know what else I could've done to convince you that these dashes were in very good condition.

At that point, it's all about you and what value you place on the part. If it is only worth $50 or $100 dollars to you and you say so, well, OK, that is what it is, but that doesn't mean it can't be worth more to somebody else.

If I had placed a fixed value on these parts, I would have been expressing MY opinion as to their value, rather than letting other express theirs, and almost certainly I would've gotten complaints from somebody that I priced it too high or too low. (Yes, I've actually been told that!)

The market decided, and I'm OK with that.

And if you want my opinion, I wouldn't pay $700 for a Corsa Dash unless:
1) I REALLY wanted a Corsa dash
2) It was a PERFECT dash, meaning EVERYTHING had been refinished, every instrument COMPLETELY refurbished and tested for accuracy (including the clock!)
3) I had NO other options.

But hey - that's just me. Somebody else might buy this one.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: September 04, 2021 06:57AM

I don't mind paying a fair price for a part I may need. what burns me up is the no response I get from a seller! You ask a question but NO REPLY!!!! At that point I make sure I do not buy from them again. With all the easy ways we have to communicate today there is no excuse for it. EddieB Dade City,Fla

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.