Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No brakes
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 15, 2021 11:09AM

Sometimes, simple is best. I've never installed a dual MC in any of my Corvairs and most have been changed over to DOT 5 fluid. I started using DOT 5 back in 1979 on my first Corsa. Proper maintenance and functional emergency brakes are required. I also do the hard, harder, hardest brake test before the tranny goes into gear each trip.

My best testimonial for using DOT 5 is a 66 Monza I bought a few years back. The PO installed DOT 5 fluid before he put the car in a shed for 18 years. Time and vermin ravaged everything else on the car but the brakes still worked when I bought it. The MC reservoir was clean as a whistle inside.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 15, 2021 06:10PM

Dave is so right! Such clean parts, no more white deposits locking parts up when using DOT 5.

I hear all the time, just flush DOT 3 every year or two. It still builds crap internally, and who really flushes brake fluid on a system working well? 1% of the people who post on here?confused smiley I don't have time to do that, too many cars, so I run DOT 5.thumbs up

I still do the hard harder test. No failures internally! Only steel lines that had salt damage from years past. So now I replace all the steel lines with Cunifer.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 16, 2021 04:09AM

I have had DOT 5 in my Spyder since at least 1990, and not one problem with it. I gave up preaching about changing hygroscopic brake fluid because not many people do so. When I had my Mercedes, it was part of the scheduled services, and I never had any brake problems. On my last Mercedes, I skipped one of the scheduled maintenance at the dealership, and about a year later, I had to replace 2 rear calipers, since they were frozen. Before I replaced them, I flushed the system and installed silicone brake fluid. Never had a problem with the antilock braking system, or calipers again. The only downside of silicone brake fluid is the initial cost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 16, 2021 12:01PM

I have started using DOT5 because of the recommendations here. On vehicles that have DOT3 still in them I change the fluid in the master cylinder every time I change the oil. It seems to circulate somewhat because it is always nasty again at the next oil change.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 123 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 16, 2021 07:45PM

Imagine how nasty it is in the four cylinders!eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.