Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Anyone know details on GM AGL-4?
Posted by: ebeowulf17 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 11:02PM

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. I've recently gotten very interested in Corvairs, thanks in large part to Matt's Off Road Recovery and their conversion of a Corvair Lakewood into a serious off-road vehicle. I feel like an imposter here, since I don't even work on cars (much less Corvairs) much in real life, but I've had a lot of fun modelling them as part of my scale remote control car hobby. If you're interested in seeing what I mean by that, you can see a thread describing the build process here: [www.scalebuildersguild.com]

For my new project, I really want to make an RC version of the AGL-4 with its articulated frame steering. I know it's not a Corvair, but since it shares an awful lot of skin with a Corvair Rampside (or maybe Loadside would be better comparison) and I believe it also used the Corvair engine, I thought it was worth discussing here.

I've watched the old AGL-4 film numerous times, and I've gotten some very basic stats from it:
- 15' overall length
- 44" tires
- 30" loading height to bed
- 9' long bed with 54^2 ft of usable area
- 20 degrees of available roll between cab and bed
- 35 degrees of steering angle between cab and bed
- 38' turning circle

Beyond what's in the film, does anyone know anything more about the AGL-4 in terms of dimensions or mechanical details (stuff that would help me build a more scale-accurate model)?
- wheelbase?
- wheel diameter?
- are the windshield and grill stock? (looks like it to me)
- does it use leaf springs or some other suspension type?
- how did they avoid having severe torque twist? (with the front and back able to rotate relative to one another, you'd expect engine torque to translate pretty directly into lifting one corner of the vehicle. Maybe this could be mitigated by unusually high gear reductions at the differential?)

Anyway, I realize this is a lot to ask, especially in a first post, but really any information beyond what's covered in the video would be appreciated. I think this is such a cool vehicle, and I really want to make the best version of it I can. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sadly, I don't own any full size Corvairs, but I'm fascinated by them.
1:20.88 scale Corvair Lakewood (inspired by Matt's Off Road Recovery)
[www.scalebuildersguild.com]
Plans to build several models of Corvair Rampside variations soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2021 11:02PM by ebeowulf17.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know details on GM AGL-4?
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 20, 2021 05:22AM

WELCOME!!! Where are you located?

We dig anything that is a Corvair or Corvair powered.

I know nothing about this rig but somebody here will.

[gmauthority.com]

[youtu.be]

I Own Too Many Corvairs
On the Central CA Coast

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 20, 2021 05:24AM

Wish I knew more about the AGL-4 to help you out. Sounds like a cool project.

You did a great job with the R/C Lakewood. Matt is member "62corvairjunky" here.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 20, 2021 09:55AM

ebeowulf17 - "..... I know it's not a Corvair, ....."

Now thems be fighten' wurds right thar! angry smiley
If you believe that statement for even one minute, you are more than welcome to leave right now. grinning smiley
While it may have been a one-off prototype, it was definitely 100% Corvair DNA. thumbs up
Even though it IS "one of ours", I am not sure that much is really known about it outside of GM.
By the way,
WELCOME TO CCF ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 20, 2021 10:32AM

[corvaircenter.com]

It was discussed several years ago here, not much more info though

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: August 22, 2021 10:29PM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Phil, I live near Tacoma, WA. Haven't spotted too many Corvairs in this area, unfortunately.

Azdave, thanks for the kind words on the RC Lakewood project. Also, I should've known that Matt would be a member on this forum. He's clearly a huge fan of all things Corvair-related, and this seems to be the best place on the internet to discuss them or find info on them (I've tried googling a million different questions related to Corvairs, and a majority of the search results all point back to this forum!)

American Mel, I'm glad to see you defending the AGL-4's honor - I think it's an awesome rig, and of course you're right that it's undeniably Corvair DNA.

jjohnsonjo, in my searches, I did find several different discussion threads here about the AGL-4, but none of them seem to have information beyond what's in the video.

It sort of looks like this vehicle was TOTALLY forgotten until that film was converted to video and shared online, at which point a bunch of different websites all wrote about it at the same time... but as far as I can tell, no-one seems to know anything other than what the film says.

I'm still hoping I'll be able to find someone who knows a little more, but it's not super critical - I'll make a model of it regardless, just based on educated-guesses if I have to!

Date: August 23, 2021 05:20AM

There are numerous Corsa chapters in the Pacific Northwest area.

[www.corvair.org]

Date: August 23, 2021 05:28AM

Plus two PNW events in the near future.

[corvaircenter.com]

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: September 11, 2021 03:49PM

Phil,
thanks for the heads-up on local events. My wife and I went to the Corvair/air-cooled show in Issaquah and it was really cool!

This was the first time I've seen a Lakewood or Greenbriar up-close and personal; it was really cool getting to see them both since one was my last modelling project and the other is the basis for my future project plans.

I also really enjoyed seeing the Ultra-Van. I didn't even know such a thing existed until we saw it there, and it's incredibly weird and cool (like so much of Corvair history.)

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, but I wanted to say thanks, because that was a really cool experience and I wouldn't have known about it if not for this forum and your comments!

Attachments:

Date: September 11, 2021 03:50PM

A few more pics to show the Ultra-Van...

Attachments:

Date: September 11, 2021 05:03PM

Glad to be of service...enjoy!!!

Date: September 24, 2021 11:25PM

Ok, sorry to keep bugging you all with silly questions, but here goes:

Since the AGL-4 clearly appears to be using Rampside/Loadside sheetmetal for all of the bodywork, my plan is to re-create that in a 3D model as faithfully as I can before doing the cutting and stretching required to make the AGL-4. Towards that end, I have two questions:

1) Books:
Can you all recommend any Corvair books that do an especially good job of detailing the Corvair 95 series, not just the cars? I can't seem to find any books that are exclusively about the 95s, but presumably a lot of Corvair books cover the full lineup.

2) Dimensions:
I've found a few sources that show dimensions for the Rampside, but they really don't seem like they could be correct - the numbers on these drawings don't match the proportions of any pictures I can find. The width measurements in particular seem all wrong. If I take the drawing below and scale it such that the width is 70", then the tailgate width is much more than 43-7/8" as claimed in this drawing (height/width on the drawing also doesn't seem to scale accurately per the dimensions drawn.)

I've taken a couple rear end photos of Rampsides and scaled them based on the license plate (which should be exactly 12" wide.) Based on this, I've come up with the following guesses for dimensions:

Overall body width:  67" (not bumpers, mirrors, etc... just the body)
Tailgate width:      46"
Tailgate height:     17"
Accent color height: 8-1/4 to 8-1/3"

Is there any chance that someone here either has these dimensions already, or can measure their '95 and let me know if I've got this about right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 25, 2021 07:36AM

Corvanatics Website!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 26, 2021 04:58AM

Also you can get lots more information from the GM Heritage Museum files, HERE. All of the GM cars are here and more infot that most people ever need.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.