Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Giving my 65 monza a little attention
Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: August 17, 2021 03:45PM

My daily driver has been a victim of poor PO repairs, and with a newly-leaking master cylinder, I decided it was finally beyond time to clean up some of the work.

Firstoff, the no bulkhead fitting for the rear brakes, and the "custom" bypass repair for the line above the fuel tank always bothered me. But it was a convenient way to hold stuff on that flat tray of the trunk! (Humor)

I had known the car was updated to a 66 column and box, which I liked. Upon dropping the tank, I found the bulkhead brace was not installed, along with missing peices in the steering coupler...

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
66 Canadian monza coupe 110/pg project car (no picture yet)
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, three Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, two 1954 International R-150 pickups, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, and thousands of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 03:50PM by sweet66monza.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Giving my 65 monza a little attention
Date: August 17, 2021 03:50PM

While i was here, the blue steering column in a black interior always drove me nuts. And, while apart I had picked up a wood wheel on a fixed hub a few years back, but the hub was gold. Also was running a 66 ash tray and missing rear window moldings. My last parts car provided a 65 ash tray and the window moldings. Some leftover hot rod black single stage and we now have some uniform, appropriate color!

I had to grind away the 65 column nuts from the toe board, install the bulkhead plate, and then redrill the toe board amd correctly assemble the steering coupler. Thankfully the parts hoard had everything I needed!

Then i added a second bulkhead fitting id saved from a parts car, installed a caddy dual master cylinder amd bent up new brake lines.

Next up will be full brake system flush and silicone brake fluid. I also replaced the firewall grommets, sway bar bushings and filler neck hoses while apart.

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, three Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, two 1954 International R-150 pickups, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, and thousands of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 03:54PM by sweet66monza.

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:04PM

thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:14PM

What Caddy is the master sourced from? The master in my Corsa has the lines going into the left side and "nest of snakes" for lines ????.

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: August 17, 2021 06:54PM

Wow! That's quite an improvement. smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: August 17, 2021 07:11PM

Love it! Nice work.

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 04:27AM

thumbs up thumbs up

Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 19, 2021 05:55AM

I looked again but didn't see a reference to it being a Caddy master cylinder. For right exiting I use one from a Dodge. I don't have the numbers memorized but have posted them here before.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 22, 2021 05:26PM

Here are the details of the master cylinder. Two passenger side 1/2-20 ports

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Attachments:

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: August 23, 2021 09:52AM

It seems like the Yenko Stingers used a Caddy master cylinder also.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 23, 2021 10:02AM

Nice job Cody. Fixing "creative" repairs by a PO can be satisfying.

Date: August 23, 2021 10:11AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice job Cody. Fixing "creative" repairs by a PO can be satisfying.

Thanks! I do agree. It is frustrating to find missing/mismatched hardware etc, I am very thankful to have saved all the parts I have to be able to sort everything out and reinstall correct matching original hardware

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Date: August 25, 2021 11:45PM

Well, after waiting for over a week for the mail to finally bring my fuel strainers, I finally got to drive it! My odd clunks, pulls and stuff id become accustomed to and had been ignoring forever are gone! Brakes work amazing! (As they should) the only screw up was putting the steering coupler together 180 off, but I am tired of not having it so I will live with an upside down steering wheel until I get the chance to flip it!

Now im debating deck lid and rear grill swap and welding up both antenna holes. Also considering carpet. Gotta love the snowball effect! Ha...

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Date: September 13, 2021 10:39PM

Well today leaving work I got surprised by this. I have no idea how it went unnoticed when I had the tank out,and why it took so long to finally leak, and/or what triggered it, but now it gets to come back apart!

Also the new napa master cylinder piston doesnt always return, so while its down, that will get replaced as well. Ive had such bad luck with the quality of master cylinders lately, unfortunately I was already expecting to change it prematurely.

When the master cylinder is cooperating, the brakes are amazing and I am very glad I swapped in the wood wheel. I love the way the grip feels compared to the standard wheel.

It never ends!! Lol

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2021 10:42PM by sweet66monza.

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 13, 2021 10:57PM

I had 2 new Napa master cylinders stick down on my '64 convertible. The third one has been good for several years now.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 123 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: September 14, 2021 09:44AM

I meant to post this info a good long while ago, life gets in the way. Looking through one of the Yenko books, came across the fact that a Caddy drum brake master cylinder was used. Had to go to an O'Reilly's parts store for something else, so thought I'd take a chance and see if the Caddy master was available. Store didn't have one, but a warehouse nearby, so I was sent there. Older counterman took pity on me and did some digging, came up with the right piece.

Please forgive me for not taking out of the plastic, but I don't know when I'll be able to install, so leaving it sealed for now. Hopefully you can see that the cover clamp appears correct for the Yenko style.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: September 14, 2021 09:54AM

Here is the part number O'R used, possibly available at other sources. The Yenko notation is mine, not theirs. Also the price I paid in January. A friend that works at O'R in the Nashville, Tn. area said a team was going through local stores and removing slow selling (Corvair?) items to make room for more current items. Hoping I don't have the same luck Joel had with his NAPA masters.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.