Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM starter/torque converter issues
Posted by: mark60609 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 04:37PM

Hello Corvair Fans!

On my '64 Monza Coupe, I noticed that it was making some "noise" for a month or two, perhaps sounding like two parts were touching each other that shouldn't be. Then, it got louder last time I started it so I turned the engine off. I decided to record the sound so that I could play it and see if anyone knew what it was, but when I went to start the car again, it wouldn't turn over at all. The interior lights dimmed when I tried to start it, so I know power was there, but again, no turn over. I am wondering if the torque converter and starter are not properly working correctly together? Or worse.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM starter/torque converter issues
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: August 12, 2021 05:26PM

Check, or get it checked out, the starter and drive first because that's the easiest to do. Look at ring gear through the starter hole (usually easiest) and see if there is anything wonky looking with the ring gear.

Re: EM starter/torque converter issues
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 12, 2021 08:15PM

You can see the torque converter teeth very well through the air cooling hole on the right side of the bellhousing. You can also turn the assembly with a screwdriver or pry bar at this hole to check all the teeth, Teeth should have steo on them, not sharp points.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.