Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fan Bearing
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:16PM

I am assuming you haven't taken you shroud off. Take it off and youy will see the simple installation.

You need an o-ring for the lower tube. Tube is clamped into the top cover by a bolt and clamp on outside.

Then get an o-ring for the top tube also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: August 17, 2021 04:52PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new top arrived from Clark's. Impressively done. Here's hoping it will be just as impressive after *I* install it.
>
> I see where the PCV pipe comes out--will it be easy to switch? Is it tamped down on the inside in some way?

Eric,

I put in new PCV O Rings when I did this maintenance as well as the dipstick "gasket" and gasket where the PCV lines comes through the shroud.

I took the same path as you and got a replacement cover with a new bearing in it. I just don't do those sort of press out press in type of tasks often enough to feel confident doing them.

Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 17, 2021 05:08PM

Thanks, guys.

Shroud is off, see picture.

I have gotten advice from all sides since making that post. Every side says it is simple, and don't forget the O-ring!

I just wanted to double check so I know what I'm getting in to. I've screwed up much less.

Cheers!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: August 17, 2021 07:35PM

Check the alignment of the holes in the gasket with the top of the block. The spacing may be different on the long sides because of the PCV tube. I seem to recall having to flip the gasket over to align all of the holes.
As with anything on an old Corvair you are doing for the first time patience is very important! Good luck.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 18, 2021 06:04AM

That is correct. The bolt holes are spaced differently so you can't put it together incorrectly.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 123 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 18, 2021 05:13PM

I once got the advice saying "Oh, they give you plenty of advance warning before they go." What a crock! I had one go in just a short road trip.
So from then I have installed quick-change bearing systems like what Clark's and Orville Eiason sells or did sell. You can change a blower bearing in less than a half an hour with only a Phillips head screwdriver and a 1/4 inch socket set.

Mark

Date: August 23, 2021 02:21PM

So,

Fan bearing and crankcase top replaced. New Grade 8 bolts swapped in. New gaskets. If only the head swap were this easy.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 23, 2021 02:58PM

why grade 8 bolts in aluminum?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 23, 2021 05:34PM

Looks clean

Date: August 24, 2021 05:43PM

I sort of overdo the grade 8s. I figure if I am changing out the bolts, I should do it with gusto.

It also makes me more confident in working with them. Sort of a security blanket I guess.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 24, 2021 07:39PM

You only torqued them to 25 ft. lb. right?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 24, 2021 07:59PM

Shop manual said 7-13. I did 10.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 24, 2021 08:19PM

That's the conundrum. Bolts hold things together by ever so slightly stretching. If a grade 8 bolt isn't torqued to its spec., it's not going to reach this stretch point. This point "might" be higher than the aluminum threads can stand.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: August 24, 2021 11:21PM

I use stainless sometimes instead of the hillman grade 8 but I now use lock washers with the flat washers, too. Full grip!

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: August 25, 2021 03:37AM

Stainless is no better than a grade 5 in all cases. Don't use it where grade 8 is required, like your suspension. It can also be a faster cause of dissimilar metal corrosion when used with an unlike material.

There times and places not to use stainless hardware, just as there are times and places it is better to use it.

Just like putting steel bolts into the aluminum components. You use aluminum anti-seize, not any anti-seize you have on the shelf. If you look at the materials in the compound, most have copper that would created and accelerate dissimilar metal corrosion with the aluminum and steel bolts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 03:45AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: 145236 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 06:54AM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use stainless sometimes instead of the hillman grade 8 but I now use lock washers with the flat washers, too. Full grip!
>
> Crawford

you had me at Hillman. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 25, 2021 07:29AM

You guys crack me up! Hillman is ok. Not everything merits GM 300. On the top covers, grade 5 stainless is great. I have never had it corrode in the engine case (unlike GM originals which usually are corroded if not saturated with oil after loosening). Maybe it takes 30 years and I have not had enough observation time… The best approach is to use lock washers and use a bolt length for max thread engagement.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: August 25, 2021 08:53AM

Well now I have to go check my anti-seize for copper!

Date: August 25, 2021 08:59AM

Should one use a lock nut, too? grinning smiley

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Attachments:
Date: August 25, 2021 09:06AM

Bostik Never-Seez
REGULAR GRADE:
Copper-based, this type of Never-Seez protects parts against the following in particular: Rust and corrosion Excessive wear due to extreme pressure and/or high temperatures. Additionally, with a temperature range of -297 to 1800°F, the Regular Grade product provides protection for easier dis-assembly. This allows for faster, more accurate repairs.

Bostik Never-Seez Mariners
Mariner's Choice NMCBT-8, Marine Grade Never Seez, is formulated to prevent rust, galling and galvanic corrosion in salt water, salt air and high-moisture environments. Excellent for use both above and below the water line, this marine grade anti-seize and lubricating compound offers extreme pressure resistance and protection up to 2,450 ºF. Comprised of graphite, calcium fluoride, aluminum powder and zinc oxide

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.