Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Side Mirror style
Posted by: Jgarcia2630 ()
Date: July 30, 2021 11:36AM

Hi everyone,
My '66 Monza came with a mechanical driver side mirror, and wondering if anyone knows if there's a name to this style of mirror or part number? Haven't been able to find another like it online nor at any parts store like Clarks. Will post pic below.

Thanks Zeus!

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Side Mirror style
Date: July 30, 2021 11:37AM

Also searched other Chevy models of the era and found nothing, could this have been a dealer add on being the mechanical option?

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 30, 2021 11:42AM

Is there a lever on the inside of the door?

Looks like a remote control side mirror. They were optional and I do not think anybody has reproduced them.

Do not know if they were available on EMs.

Think there are slight differences between some years, but I do not know the specifics.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 30, 2021 12:12PM

Those are very rare. They are prone to breaking and then the head falls off so that is a great find to have one. That style started in '64 and went thru the first part of '66 with some small changes along the way.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: July 30, 2021 01:23PM

Jgarcia2630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone,
> My '66 Monza came with a mechanical driver side mirror, and wondering if anyone knows if there's a name to this style of mirror or part number? Haven't been able to find another like it online nor at any parts store like Clarks. Will post pic below.
>
> Thanks Zeus!

Here's the name of your mirror: $$$$$$$$$$ smiling smiley Used ones can sell for $400, and up. The Corvair remote mirror shared parts with the Impala and Chevelle. The '65 Chevelle Z-16, of which supposedly 201 were made (first year the 396 was made available) had that mirror as part of the option package, along with an AM/FM MPX. I believe their only difference with the Corvair was the length of the neck (Corvair was shorter). If you want to preserve your mirror, a fellow in Kentucky was 3D printing a part which made retention of head more probable. Fellow that restored the John Glenn convertible (sorry, forgot the name) put me on to him; if you want, I'll dig up the info.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: July 30, 2021 01:25PM

Yeah it's the remote control mirror, I saw that Clarks has a remote control reproduction but it doesn't look the same the bracket arm is thinner and back of the mirror head has a different styling.

Yeah Rex, I figured they were pretty rare cuz I haven't seen another one like it at all.

Date: July 30, 2021 01:29PM

Yeah Scott I'll take that info from you if you can find it, I'd appreciate it! Mine is still working but the head is rattling a bit.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 30, 2021 02:19PM

The Glen car restorer is Bill Hubbell.

The RC mirror that Clark's sells is an excellent repop of the second design '66 - '67 style RC mirror. Yours is a first design '66 and earlier mirror.

Mark

Date: July 30, 2021 03:09PM

Oh ok, thanks for the info Mark!

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: July 30, 2021 08:44PM

Zeus,
Sent the info to you in a private message.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: July 30, 2021 10:58PM

This is the pivot plate that usually breaks, leaving the mirror head laying on the road.

Available from most Chevy resto places, including Clark's.

By the way, the Chevelle, Nova, and Corvair all use the same PN remote mirror for 65. Full size Chevys had a longer neck (replaceable).

These two points, plus the fact that they were never reproduced are why they are rare (and expen$ive).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.