Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Clutch
Posted by: link9711 ()
Date: August 07, 2021 06:22PM

Whoo very nice thanks.By the way can I add a dip stick to this trans so I can easyer check the oil lev?

link9711
63 Monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 07, 2021 07:13PM

Actually the differential gets the dipstick. The only Corvair transmission that got a dipstick is the PG.
But a 1963 did not have a diff. dipstick. Only 64 and 65.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 07, 2021 08:56PM

I added a distinct to a '66 a couple of years ago but the boss was there. I just had to drill it out. Clark's has the fitting, tube and grommet but not the actual district. Check to see if yours has the boss.
You ID the input shaft by length and the small end. Yours will be either 12 or 14 tooth not 10. 10 is the clutch end and those are all the same.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Date: August 08, 2021 07:06AM

Ok ill look and see if it has the boss.Yea I figgered that out when I went to charks to check the price.Will count it today.

Link9711
63 Monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Date: September 04, 2021 04:24PM

Well its been slow going finally got all rust off use trany/diff and painted.I removed the covers washed out with brake kleen and put hyd oil and ran the input shaft and let it wash other stuff and drained untill clean.Put all new gaskets and seals.The shifter seal was fun.ordered gl-4 74w-90 weight from clarks.only need input shaft and throught bearing.Then can put back on the motor Hmm how does that go back o well I have a sledhehammer it will fit.smiling smiley smiling smiley.Going to change the rear main seal wal I have the trany off.

Attachments:

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 04, 2021 05:39PM

Use guide pins, headless bolts, don't go breaking stuff

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 04, 2021 06:36PM

Yea braking stuff costs a lot guide pins and eazy pezy should go like a glove.But sledhehammer would be more fun tho.OO project car dang back to slow and eazy.smiling smiley

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Date: September 12, 2021 02:14PM

well I got some time today so I removed the clutch and flywheel.I put some grease and used the old input shaft to get the pilot bearging out.Found tho's people was in here to.Why would you beat ther hell out of the inside of the hole.So I got a file and filed it all down untill it was close and put the new pilot bushing in was still very tight had to sand the inside of the bushing to get the shaft to fit in.so wal I had the flywheel off I removed the rear cover and replaced the seal and gasket.When I put it all back together yep Tho's people was there.The bolts for the bell housing was to short and when I tryed to tork them 2 of them striped out.Found out all the bolts was 1" long so would only catch 1/4 of treads.I checked the hold can put 1 and 1/2" bolts in there There was 2 of them that was 1 1/4" I put them in the striped holes and tigheneed them up ok.Will get new bolts monday from work.One question I no theres no washers on them but do reg bolts have to have the head ground down a tad to miss the flywheel?I ordered a new input shaft and throu out bearging from clarks.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 12, 2021 07:00PM

The 5 bolts in a circle around the crankshaft get washers, the 4 bolts at the bottom do not get washers.

Make sure the bolts are not so long they hit internal parts, like crankshaft gears.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 12, 2021 08:01PM

KK thanks for the tip.I measured the depth and it's 1 1/2" deep so 1 1/4 is the right length but ill check all the holes just to make shoure.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 13, 2021 08:46AM

Some of those bellhousing bolts can go into the crankcase. If they do you should put some sealer on the threads to keep oil from seeping out. If not sure just put sealer on all of them.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: September 13, 2021 02:22PM

Yea I need to get some of that peratex #2 hard to find.Just got the tran/diff done waiting for the input shaft and some of the bolts in the top cover go all the way throught need to put some of that stuff.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 13, 2021 02:47PM

I bought mine at O'Reilly auto.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 13, 2021 08:19PM

Permatex still makes that?grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 15, 2021 06:56PM

Hi I tryed O'reill's but they did not have any so went to trusty amazon got some there [www.amazon.com] will start putting together again when that come's in.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San antonio Tx

Date: September 19, 2021 12:02PM

Well going together slow trans slid right in bolted all up.Working on the oil cooler seals and new crank pulley seal loads of cleaning. One question what keeps the oil from comeing up and out the keyway on the crank or when inpacked tight will not leak?

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 19, 2021 12:47PM

Nothing keeps oil from leaching out between the crank nose and the balancer. Other than a very very thin coat of the permatex #2 non-hardening that you can't find.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 19, 2021 01:08PM

You can also spray the end of the key way with the balancer installed with some brake clean and then use a little silicone in the key way under the washer.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: September 19, 2021 01:12PM

ok thanks Thought may be a O ring I was missing.But hmm mite have one that will fit let me check.Will give a update if found.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Date: September 19, 2021 02:38PM

Well I used this permatex on the keyway looks like it be ok.If you realy wonted to you could have the edge of the washer machined a tad and put a O ring But think sealer works just the same.

link9711
63 monza spyder
San Antonio Tx

Attachments:
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.