Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rattle developed in my More Door 110 Engine
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 31, 2021 12:29PM

Sorry, Joel. I misunderstood it. I am now thinking that new rod bearings might as well be thrown in along with new main bearings and make it a new engine.

I got the rear cover, alternator oil filter adaptor, top cover and all cylinder assemblies/piston tops cleaned today. Hope to get block cleaned tomorrow.

Still waiting on all parts except lifters. Lifters arrived Tuesday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 03, 2021 07:39AM

I got the valve keepers, springs, and retainers removed from both heads. Valves remain in place for seat inspection. Teflon seals were almost non-existent. But I expected that since they were used heads when I put heads on this engine 3 years ago. Heads will be cleaned up, seats lapped, new valves will be be put in with Viton seals.

All parts have been cleaned and awaiting their turn for assembly.

Date: August 07, 2021 06:16AM

Received my gaskets & seals from John Sweet.

Still waiting on canpmshaft. FedEx delivery skipped from Thursday to Saturday.

Date: August 09, 2021 09:32AM

I got my crankshaft back today from the machine shop. We won't be using it since my 110 crankshaft just needs the gear changed.

This one will be put aside for now. Possibly sell it later on, after this engine is finished. It is a nitrided crankshaft turned 0.010 under with all good gears on it.

Date: August 11, 2021 01:49PM

Turned in my crankshaft to machine shop to have camshaft drive gear installed. I removed the gear yesterday. They will also clean, inspect and either polish or turn it, as necessary. I decided since it is getting too late to have the car ready for Maggie Valley, I would do a proper rebuild since I am all the way into the block with the camshaft change.

Also, I turned in block to have it hot dipped.

Replacement valves lapped and installed with new seals. Heads are ready for installation.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 11, 2021 08:05PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Machine shop.

Yes with a BIG press!!! Make sure the crank is properly supported during the press on or off.

Date: August 12, 2021 12:54AM

They have the BIG press. They work on the BIG diesels from road trucks and the ports. I also gave them the shop manual instructions.

Date: August 12, 2021 12:07PM

Lane66m Wrote:
> I got my crankshaft back today from the machine shop. We won't be using it since my 110 crankshaft just needs the gear changed.
>
> This one will be put aside for now. Possibly sell it later on, after this engine is finished. It is a nitrided crankshaft turned 0.010 under with all good gears on it.

This crankshaft has sold today.

Date: August 18, 2021 02:35PM

I had the block at the machine shop for a hot tank bath and got it back today. We are in process of deflashing the block and verifying all gasket surfaces are clean, smooth and level.

We were told to expect to pick up crankshaft from machine shop on Monday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 02:37PM by Lane66m.

Date: August 31, 2021 01:38PM

I got the More Door's engine crankshaft back this morning. They installed the replacement gear and polished it.

I did plasti-gage check on the mains with a new set of STD bearings. The polish was a bit much and now I need a set of 0.002 u/s main bearings. I also plasti-gaged checked 2 rods with new STD rod bearings. They were at the max limit of 0.003", so I need a set of 0.002 u/s main bearings.

So this engine build is stopped for another week.

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: September 01, 2021 03:25AM

Lane66m Wrote:
> I got my crankshaft back today from the machine shop. We won't be using it since my 110 crankshaft just needs the gear changed.
>

Al,

What machine shop did you use ? I ended up taking my crank to a shop in South Carolina to get it ground and polished..

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Date: September 01, 2021 03:48AM

We have Motor Parts Company in Garden City, Ga. The old mechanists sold out. But the new owners seem ok, but work submitted is slow to be returned due to limited employees and they concentrate on big diesels. We also got hampered by a bout of China virus delta these past few weeks.

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: September 02, 2021 04:35PM

Ahh, Garden City is too far away for me - almost 5 hours 1 way. I ended up going to Spartan Crankshaft Inc in Spartanburg, SC. A little over 2.5 hours from my house... Not especially fast, but crankshafts is all they do...

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Date: September 09, 2021 02:41AM

Finally got the bearings for both engine builds after a delivery fiasco with USPS. I had to go pick them up in Savannah Po yesterday. This is after a Tuesday misdirect Jacksonville FL Center did, when it should have sent them to our local PO. Then Savannah PO sat on them for a day, after saying they would put them on the truck to our PO for Wednesday morning.

Anyway, I installed the main bearings and did the plastigage check of them. All were at 0.002" on the gage. So all is well with the install. I removed the case half, cleaned off the plastigage and lubricated the bearings with assembly lube. Installed new camshaft with assembly lube and set timing.

Case half installed and bolts/nuts installed. Hardware was torqued in sequence and staged up final torque. In between each stage of applying torque, case was tapped with leather mallet and the crankshaft was rotated to ensure it was not locked. Installation was a success,

Installed oil pick up and hardware.

Date: September 09, 2021 12:37PM

Installed a manual bell housing for use on test stand with flywheel and pressure plate.

Moved engine onto an engine stand for further work.

Attachments:
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 09, 2021 04:47PM

>> crankshaft was rotated to ensure it was not locked. Installation was a success,<<

In light of previous problems, did you check crankshaft end-play? Did you check camshaft end-play? Did you check cam gear to crank gear back-lash? And I think very important and often overlooked, did you check Cam gear runout?

Just asking.

Date: September 09, 2021 05:59PM

Previous problem was a rusted crank gear wearing out teeth on cam gear. Not a worn case allowing cam to shift around. Had right clearance when can slipped into its slot. But will consider it again after I reread procedures again.

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: September 10, 2021 09:22AM

Richard Wrote:
> >> crankshaft was rotated to ensure it was not locked. Installation was a success,<<
>
> In light of previous problems, did you check crankshaft end-play? Did you check camshaft end-play? Did you check cam gear to crank gear back-lash? And I think very important and often overlooked, did you check Cam gear runout?
>
> Just asking.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so how would you fix crank/cam gear backlash? how would you fix cam gear runout? get another cam gear and try it? or is there a procedure to fix?

years ago on air cooled vw engines you could get oversize and undersize cam gears, I think 3 sizes over and 3 sizes under for a total of 7 available. haven't seen them in years.

Date: September 10, 2021 10:21AM

All the experts here. Don't you know I don't report all the minute details. The crank gear was bad, a good gear was installed. And new cam and cam gear was installed. It is good.

I guess you guys need to come and do the build for me since you know what am doing wrong and you have all the right answers without knowing what Rick and I am doing.

I have just wasted my time providing info on this build. No more reports will be given. I will concentrate on my 2 engine builds and getting them running. Won't waste time here adding more info.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.