Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
overheat warning for 65 monza
Posted by: Dave120v ()
Date: July 14, 2021 07:15PM

the belt came off my monza 110 a couple times. once I had to rebuild the engine. Can an overheat buzzer be connected or something like this to warn of a thrown belt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: overheat warning for 65 monza
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 14, 2021 07:53PM

Sure!! Clark's may have a kit.... or just buy a pizzo buzzer off ebay / Amazon and connect to the dash light.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 08:08PM

Usually the gen/fan light turning red is the indicator the belt has come off. I grant you the two warning lights are small on the Monza instrument panel.

Many times too when the belt jumps it will hit the carb cross shaft and it can be felt by your right foot on accelerator pedal.

Please understand I am not taking you to task just trying to help. I will finish by saying WELCOME to the forum.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 15, 2021 09:41AM

Matt
or just buy a pizzo buzzer off ebay / Amazon and connect to the dash light.

Yes, this works, but it will drive you insane every time you turn on the ignition to start the car! I know, because my Spyder had the temp switch and oil pressure leads swapped in the engine compartment when I bought it back in '76. Thought it was "normal" until I read the shop manual.winking smiley

To make the buzzer only sound with over temp, you need another wire from the dash to the engine compartment and a diode to separate the switches, a la Spyder wiring harness. Or install a 30 second or so delay relay on the buzzer to stop the start up noise.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 15, 2021 09:57AM

Except for turbo engines, the common cause for an overheated engine is when the fan stops turning due to a belt coming off or breaking. As Steve said it's the first and best indicator to turn off the engine.

Just me, but by the time that overtemp warning light comes on it's already too late!!

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: July 17, 2021 09:18PM

On My 65 turbo Corsa, I have reversed the wires at the distributor so the warning buzzer goes on if the oil pressure fails, as opposed to the head temp warning. I don't mind it sounding when I turn on the ignition. Another thing I have done is to change the warning light bulbs in the instrument panel to a # 57 bulb. This bulb goes on for about 5 seconds & then starts flashing. That flashing REALLY gets your attention. I don't feel the need for a hi head temp buzzer & the flashing light does get my attention. I have also added Stewart Warner oil pressure and oil temp gauges under the dash as backups to the idiot lights. Also, remember that the Corsa has a head temp gauge in the instrument panel & you can keep an eye on the temp as it gets to a critical point. My current engine has a lot ( unknown ) of miles on it & uses / burns / leaks a lot of oil & I want to know when it's running low. The flashing lights and the extra gauges give me a lot of peace of mind.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 18, 2021 05:31AM

Parts needed to add warning system to a LM Monza 95/110/140. Second lamp is optional, but can be more advantageous if in a more visible spot. Just my thoughts on how I would do it.

110 snap switch, grommet for left heat duct, length of wire to run from engine to dash, red warning light, and warning buzzer.

Modify heat duct to allow wire to exit engine, Install snap switch on left head, run wire from switch on engine to dash. Suggest a disconnect close to engine to allow engine removals. Install lamp and warning buzzer. Find ignition controlled power source to power lamp and warning buzzer. Test system by grounding out wire at engine.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 18, 2021 06:45PM

Doug
Another thing I have done is to change the warning light bulbs in the instrument panel to a # 57 bulb. This bulb goes on for about 5 seconds & then starts flashing.

???

A #57 miniature lamp is a standard miniature bayonet 12 volt bulb, typically used in dash lights for 12 volt vehicles in the 50s, 60s until the wedge based 194 took over (and the similar 258 lamp). No flashing circuit inside. Just a tungsten filament. There are flashing replacements, with different part numbers. Clark's C7585 for instance.

The most important warning lamp in a Corvair is the Fan/Gen lamp! Except for some weird (and I have had it happen) generator turning into a motor situations, this lamp should light as soon as the belt leaves the pulleys and removes cooling air from the engine!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Dave120v ()
Date: July 19, 2021 08:10PM

thanks guys. I ruined an engine by loosing a belt on the hi-way and don't want to do it again. Does the ih temp warning light come on when the sensor grounds out?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 19, 2021 09:19PM

Yes, just like the Oil Press.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 19, 2021 10:52PM

Dave120v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks guys. I ruined an engine by loosing a belt on the hi-way and don't want to do it again. Does the ih temp warning light come on when the sensor grounds out?

This is why the FAN/GEN warning circuit is a better source to hook an audible alarm too. By the time the high temp switch closes the engine is already overheated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.