Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: YH Carburetor Shake-Apart -- Where Things Stand Currently
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 16, 2021 06:20AM

Springs close valves they don't open them.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 09, 2021 01:39PM

Time for an update.

I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I did end up taking the entire top of the assembly off, in order to remove the top shroud. That's kind of a tall order on a turbo but I got it done. It took me 2 hours even after I already had the carb and turbo off.

At that point I stood scratching my chin over the rest of it. I have been reading the recent comments of people discussing pulling their own engines, I've been reading them for years. I even had my engine out a couple of times in California, when I had an army of friends to help me. I don't have that support system anymore. And I just don't have the strength in my right side to tackle the job in any meaningful way, certainly not one in which the fully assembled engine on the other end would be anything I would trust.

So here's what I've decided. I am buying two turbo heads from Mike Deklotz out in Lake Forest, California. He is taking those heads over to Engine Machine Service in Inglewood, CA. Bruce will give them the full workup, including deep seats. Mike will then send me the heads. At which point, either with the help of what Corvair people I can scratch up near North Dakota, or a local garage here, I will swap them for my own heads and then send those old heads back to Mike for a core discount.

This makes the most sense to me, as it was Mike who provided, by way of Wolf Enterprises, the original rebuilt carburetor, the one that failed. He has taken possession of that carburetor and the turbo mechanism and is currently evaluating them to see what they will need for a proper and lasting repair, so it makes sense to go through him for the heads as well. He's acting as a broker for me in California, finding the best sources for repairs and rebuilds. In the meantime, I will be taking delivery of a Nash Fan and very likely a Safeguard as well. Everything will be put back together here.

It would be nice to drive the car once more before winter sets in, but I am fully prepared to accept the fact that I may not see it on the road again until Spring. It was always going to sit around during the dark of winter no matter what condition it was in. It's just too bad that I lost the rest of this year.

Seems like I've lost a lot of "the rest of the year" through the years. There's been times I question my tenacity and commitment to this car, and then there are times I drive it from California to North Dakota and remember why I love it.

When I first got the car, I lamented the fact that most of the documentation had been lost, and I had no real understanding of its history. Not just a chain of custody, but a real feel for the history and stories that came with the car. I think it's safe to say I've built up a pretty good set of stories of my own. If I ever sold it, and realistically I know that's going to be, well, never, it's a pretty safe bet that the Bluvair will continue to be the stuff of legend.

Cheers.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: August 22, 2021 07:21AM

Well, there's my crank. Looks okay to me after the screw incident, but I don't have that trained of an eye. No debris in the crankcase area that I can see, and the number five piston doesn't look like it has anything wrong with it at least from this side. So the damage was limited to the head. Of course I'll see it from the front when it's time to take that off.

Also, there's a number on the rear side of the crank, the side closest to the back of the car, "27A" that I think identifies it. I thought that number was supposed to be on the other end of the crank, but I don't see any such numbers on the other end of the crank. Any thoughts?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: August 22, 2021 08:52AM

There's no way a carburetor screw could damage the crankshaft.

A loose carburetor screw travels with airflow so that means:
Through the carburetor, into the turbo's cold side, into a cylinder, out of the cylinder into the turbo's hot side and out through the muffler and tailpipe, most likely trapped in the muffler.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: August 22, 2021 01:27PM

Yeah I ended up having to send the turbo away because of that damage. I'm taking the top of the car apart anyway to fix the fan bearing, so I just thought I'd look at it and see what's going on.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: August 22, 2021 07:16PM

Looks good, cover it up and keep crap out of there til you get the new top cover installed. My $ .02

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: August 22, 2021 08:45PM

Roger that, Master Mike.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 24, 2021 07:56AM

I'm assuming the rods have been replaced....or they are all installed upside down?

No numbers on the flats.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 24, 2021 09:02AM

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm assuming the rods have been replaced....or they are all installed upside down?

Already noted in his other thread. He was advised that it doesn't matter which way the rods are installed but to check the pistons (if the opportunity presents itself) to see if they are upside down.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:04AM

>
> Already noted in his other thread. He was advised that it doesn't matter which way the rods are installed but to check the pistons (if the opportunity presents itself) to see if they are upside down.

Thanks Dave - missed that one.

Eric

Date: August 25, 2021 08:55AM

More appropriate for me to ask here:

So....what if the opportunity never presents itself?

I'm learning so much about these cars, and turbo cars and this car in general--but it kind of feels like it is against my will.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: 145236 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 09:03AM

playerpage Wrote:
>
>
> So....what if the opportunity never presents itself?
>
>

Aren't the heads off?

Date: August 25, 2021 09:17AM

Not yet. Family time comes first and I don't expect to take delivery on the new heads until late September. Going in baby steps.

So yeah, I forgot that would help me see. smiling smiley

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 25, 2021 10:15AM

playerpage Wrote:
> More appropriate for me to ask here:
>
> So....what if the opportunity never presents itself?

What I am saying is that I myself would not tear the engine down further on the off-chance the pistons are upside down. You might get some piston slap noise when they are upside down but if they are wrong, they've been that way for awhile without anyone noticing, right? I'm not one to tear down an engine any further than needed. There are lots more things that can go wrong if you pull the heads just to have a peek at it.

If you have to pull the heads for other reasons then that would be the opportunity I mention to check and know that all is right. I see further up you mentioned you are buying some heads so you will have that opportunity soon.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: August 30, 2021 08:54AM

This is a duplicate of a question I posted regarding exhaust options, because I'd rather those answers were compiled under this thread:

So I got the exhaust out. Not hearing any rattles.

You all know me, I suffer from an extreme case of while-I'm-In-There-itis. I'm just wondering if there are better options for the exhaust that I can apply when I put this thing back together. I don't imagine my pipes would be any different, unless there's a hole in them that I'm not aware of but there doesn't seem to be. How about the muffler? I bought it here NOS, and it's got maybe 4,000 miles on it now. Maybe. It's a true stock muffler. But as I understand it that's not the world's greatest option for flow. Any suggestions for an alternative muffler setup? Remember that's for a turbo and a carburetor that are stock. No, I'm not interested in changing that.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 08:57AM by playerpage.

Attachments:
Posted by: alan_smithee ()
Date: August 30, 2021 10:36AM

I went straight pipe for the first year I had my turbo. Car sounded pretty mean but I couldnt take it so I went with a stock style turbo muffler by Dynamax. A slightly throatier growl but quiet enough to not make the neighbors hate me on Saturday mornings when I go to cars and coffee and leave at 7am

--------------------------------
Was a 1962 Monza Convertible
Now a 1964 Spyder Clone/Tribute
Santa Cruz/Northern CA

--------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 10:42AM by alan_smithee.

Date: August 31, 2021 02:52PM

Finally got just about all the shrouds off. I haven't tried to do the the ones the hose attached to, because it took so long to get those hoses to stay on. Years in fact until someone else did them for me.

I'm hearing that the rebuilt turbo will be available soon, but the heads are still at least a month out.

I'm going to wait till the day of the big assembly, and then try popping the shrouds off without actually disengaging them from the hose.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Attachments:

Date: September 09, 2021 08:09AM

Update:

The turbo is almost finished in its rebuild and should be shipped back next week. The heads are on track to be finished either at the end of the month or early October. I have purchased new rocker arms, NOS push rods, and rocker balls and nuts for the new heads. I don't know whether my existing push rods are good, but if they are, I will resell them. I am also going to offer up my existing rocker arms and ball/nuts when the time comes. Again, nothing known to be wrong with them. People here know I'm a "baseliner," buying replacements often just to know that I have a parts history.

Of course, that hasn't always worked out, the carb failure that caused all this being a case in point.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.