Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Corvair engine cradle needed
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: August 16, 2021 06:43AM

Dave, I may have an early version of the otto parts oil pan, so it just may be an isolated issue. I have used your cradle, many times, with success, with the Clark's finned pan, and stock pans. The engine I just built and installed has an Otto Parts pan, and there are "ears" at the front of the pan, under the bellhousing, that hit the square tabs of your cradle. This interference keeps the pan from settling down in the cradle at that end. The pan ears don't perform any function, in my opinion, and can be cut off. I just hadn't fit it before using it, and didn't take the time to do so before installing engine. I will take pics and show later. My experience, $ .02

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: August 16, 2021 07:05AM

If you are think of buying the HF table, read some reviews first.
This is one of MANY that show that lifting table is a POS.
" NO PARTS AVAILABLE!!!!

First off, let me say that this cart is really great... UNTIL YOU NEED A SEAL FOR IT!! After about 6 months of very light use (like once a week), the little cup seals in the pump deteriorated and and crumbled, causing the lift to stop working (along with leaking out all the fluid). I looked on the Harbor freight website, and the ONLY part available for this unit is the filler plug! I took what was left of the seals to several local places that sell seals and o-rings, and no one could match it up or find anything that would work as a substitute. So now I have a $29.95 rolling cart that I paid almost $300 for! I called the Harbor Freight parts department and they basically told me that I was out of luck unless I wanted to be a crook and buy a new cart and then take the old one back and claim it was the brand new one. I don't know if mine is the only one that has failed like this, or if others are having the same problem. In any case, just be aware that if this breaks, you are screwed....

BUYER BEWARE !!

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 16, 2021 09:46AM

viewmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave, I may have an early version of the otto parts oil pan, so it just may be an isolated issue. I have used your cradle, many times, with success, with the Clark's finned pan, and stock pans. The engine I just built and installed has an Otto Parts pan, and there are "ears" at the front of the pan, under the bellhousing, that hit the square tabs of your cradle. This interference keeps the pan from settling down in the cradle at that end. The pan ears don't perform any function, in my opinion, and can be cut off. I just hadn't fit it before using it, and didn't take the time to do so before installing engine. I will take pics and show later. My experience, $ .02
>
> -m
Post a pic of your OTTO pan? I have never seen one with the ears you are talking about and have had a bunch of OTTO pans? I used one to design the cradle, the OTTO pan was the one pan that made a universal cradle design hard as the bolts are between the fins, took me a few tries to get the cradle to fit every pan on the market.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Date: August 16, 2021 01:31PM

Dave, here is my pan as installed.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Attachments:

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 17, 2021 06:19AM

viewmaster Wrote:
> Dave, here is my pan as installed.
>
> -m
-----------------------------------------------------
That must be a really early Version of the OTTO Pan or one that was not machined to cut off the over hang, I have 4 of them here at my house right now and none are like yours, Also as you can see in the pic I posted the pan and the Windage tray are machined to follow the contour of the block with no over hang, I sent your Pic to Chris to see what he says?

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: yestertech ()
Date: September 09, 2021 09:12AM

Hello Dave and Mike. I also have an early Otto pan that looks identical to Mikes with the wider "ear" area. It came off my father's corsa and was likely installed not too long after Otto started making them. I'd guess it's a better idea to modify the cradle to fit rather than cutting the vintage pan?

Dave I just sent you a personal message asking if it's too early to order a cradle from you. Think you said you make them in October?

Wes

Date: September 09, 2021 11:35AM

yestertech Wrote:
> Hello Dave and Mike. I also have an early Otto pan that looks identical to Mikes with the wider "ear" area. It came off my father's corsa and was likely installed not too long after Otto started making them. I'd guess it's a better idea to modify the cradle to fit rather than cutting the vintage pan?
>
> Dave I just sent you a personal message asking if it's too early to order a cradle from you. Think you said you make them in October?
>
> Wes

Wes, yes...it would be better to augment the tool, however...if you do that, be careful to not render the cradle unusable for stock or other pans. Not sure how to accomplish that.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.