Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: EFI project
Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:29AM

Yes, I used the same fuel pump retaining bolt/nut to secure the bracket for my VR sensor.

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 05:22AM

Hi guys, to clarify, I am referring to the bolt that holds the OEM mechanical fuel pump in place - as per ,my immediately previous post and photo. i want to completely remove and discard this bolt and use the space thus made available to mount my Hall sensor. Any issues I should know about?

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:57AM

Been using this setup for years without issue. This position allows you to change the belt without removing the sensor. The latest version no longer uses a set screw due to a couple being over-tightening and cracking the sensor. Ours is a VR and not a Hall Effect, but usually, they are the same diameter, etc.

Usually, the Hall Effect Sensor is triggered by magnets (spaced every 90 degrees) and the VR reads the position every 5 degrees and detects the difference in magnetism (crank trigger wheel).

2 TBI units are available through Corvair-EFI.com
Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
[www.Corvair-EFI.com]
Brown Injection Facebook
68 Monza Convert Auto - EFI
61 Loadside - PGlide - EFI
61 Rampside - 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 Speed - Bad Motor
63 Greenbrier 4 Speed - EFI

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:51AM

Since the screw also functions as pinning your plug in place, You might consider making a tapered tip stud to replace it, adding a thin lock nut, then installing the pick up with a nut on top. That might be a little less complex. Certainly less than the description!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Date: August 11, 2021 01:56PM

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. I will play with things over the next few days and will post a photo of what I end up with.

Best regards
David

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 11, 2021 07:32PM

Here's how the SDS Hall effect sensor is mounted on my engine. The magnets are mounted on the back side of the HB. It has worked flawlessly since I first got it going on the crank triggered system in 2008. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how you could mount the Hall Sensor using the mount for the fuel pump bolt hole. The sensor is supposed be approximately .060" away from the magnets... SDS recomends that mount be stout enough to darned near lift the car from!! Its hard to imagine how to use the fuel pump hole/bolt like that and make it stout. Your supposed to get the magnet and sensor relationship close enough that the sensor can see each magnet for approximately 3 degrees of crank rotation for each magnet, and actually check it!. I've heard of big problems when this important step is not followed.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Attachments:
Date: August 26, 2021 01:04AM

Hi all. A few photos to follow showing some of my recent engine progress.

First photo shows the bracket I have made to which I will attach the SDS Hall sensor. You will note my modified fan belt adjustment bracket (moves vertically rather than in an arc fore and aft). Well, I had already replaced the bolt that the OEM pulley adjuster fits onto with a steel stud and nut. So the bracket that hols the Hall sensor on is held on with two bolts in tapped / threaded bolt holes. One of the Hall sensor bolts runs at right angles through the fan pulley steel stud. That will be strong. The other Hall sensor mounting bolt does not run through that stud, but exits out behind the alloy bracket and has a nut on it. Both bolts will on final assembly be lock-tighted. The Hall sensor bracket itself is in two mating halves with ovalised bolt slots (2 top, 2 bottom) to allow fore and aft movement of the half that the Hall sensor mounts to.

The Hall sensor will read magnets located on the outer (away from engine) side of the crank pulley. This top-of-pulley location will not impinge on future belt changes. The wiring will also be routed so as to not impinge on belt changes.

Does not make use of the fuel pump jam bolt.

Attachments:
Date: August 26, 2021 01:07AM

Arc along which magnets will be placed now scribed, and magnet mounting positions marked (with blue paint pen). Will be rechecked and centre punched before drilling

Attachments:
Date: August 26, 2021 01:09AM

Now for the shiny stuff. Inlet manifolds to mate the 3 inlet port heads on my engine with Triumph 955i throttle bodies now completed.

Attachments:

Date: August 26, 2021 01:16AM

Trial fitting - and they fit!! Yee ha!!

I've done other stuff on the 914 itself - mounted high pressure fuel pump, two new fuel filters, new hard 6AN fuel lines, had fuel tank fittings modified for 8AN outlet to filter and fuel pump, and 6AN return and so on. Haven't posted any photos of those Porsche 914 non-Corvair changes. If anyone wants me to do so on this Corvair forum then I'm more than willing to do so.

Many thanks to everyone who has shown interest and or input to my various questions to get this far. No doubt I'll have more...

Best regards to everyone.

Cheers from Down Under

Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 26, 2021 04:30AM

Nice Fabrication! Love it. thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: August 26, 2021 05:56PM

DaveO90s4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't posted any photos of those Porsche 914 non-Corvair changes. If anyone >wants me to do so on this Corvair forum then I'm more than willing to do so.
>
> Cheers from Down Under
>
> Dave

I'd be interested!

Thanks!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 12:10PM

Very NICE!!!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
49 Chevy 5 window project
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: August 27, 2021 02:19PM

Parts look great! What are the brass hose barbs on the middle cylinders for? PCV, MAP signal? I would think for most vacuum sources you would want to pull from all 6 cylinders but I'm probably missing something...

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: August 27, 2021 05:08PM

Hi Ken. Good question! They are for the avoidance of any subsequent “oh damn, I wish I’d had some vacuum take offs included when I had these made”. I will almost certainly plug them and leave them unused. One potential use might be for power brakes (which my car does not have and doesn’t really need).

The throttle bodies also have a vacuum port on each body which potentially could be used to plug into a small vacuum plenum for MAP sensing, but I’m going to give Throttle Position Switch (TPS) tuning a serious go and will only try MAP if TPS is unsatisfactory.

Gee, it almost sounds like I know what I’m doing!!!

Cheers

Dave

Date: September 14, 2021 04:10AM

Progress. Slow. But progress none the less.

Main recent progress items are:
* Crank pulley seal replaced, magnets mounted in crank pulley, pulley reinstalled and hall sensor adjusted to be close to magnets. Will test before installing engine.
* Piece of engineering fine art delivered - my oil pump drive to replace my distributor. Seth Emerson was good enough to create this for me and I could not be more pleased with the result.
* Engine temp sensor mounting made. This is primarily to tell the ecu whether the engine is cold or not and whether cold start enrichment is needed or not. So absolute temp accuracy is not required. I will be retaining my two cyl head temp sensors and gauges for visual monitoring whilst driving.

Photos of above items shown below.

Am getting close to having the linkages for the triumph throttle bodies done. I'm going to use the oft-disliked hex bar used by many twin carb VW setups, with arm ratios adjusted to suit reduced motorcycle cable movement c.f. zenith carbs. This hex bar will be pulled by the accelerator cable to rotate and lift throttle body arms. Each arm will be connected to its throttle body by cable - with fine tuning adjustments as used on bicycle gear shift / brake cables. I will post photos of this in due course - assuming it works.

Attachments:

Date: September 14, 2021 04:12AM

last two photos for now

Cheers

Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: September 14, 2021 08:58AM

Slick.

Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 convertible

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.