Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New camshaft options from CA Corvairs?
Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: June 09, 2021 04:48AM

I see that CA Corvairs now has both new and reground camshafts for pretty reasonable prices, including what looks like their versions of the OTTO-10 and 20 (CA-10 and CA-20) on new billets. I also see the typical 260-270-280 grinds and a version of the 304, all with specs up on their website. Has anyone degreed one or checked with a cam doctor? I'd be especially interested in the CA-20 since there has been some discussion of other OT20 grinds not matching the advertised specs.

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New camshaft options from CA Corvairs?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 09, 2021 05:26AM

That is interesting and I would certainly like to know more.
Who is making the cams and if they are a good company would be a nice tidbit.
Call me old fashioned but getting a cam card with the cam is mandatory for me. Going to a website that shows what it should be or what it used to be just doesn't do it for me.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: June 09, 2021 08:31AM

I have used CA Vairs cams for years with no problems, His billet cam gears are the best on the market and the only one William Wynne the air plane guy uses, I know because I asked him! smoking smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Date: June 09, 2021 08:57AM

Dave, do you degree them and check lift? Thanks

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 09, 2021 09:13AM

After TWO different machine shops messed up my cams and cam gears I had Jeff at Calif. Corvair install his billet cam gear using a heating a plate to minimize broaching the cam gear. So far so good!!

I'm running Isky 260 cams in both my 140HP engines. They run strong and pull to 5,000 quickly.

After looking at the numbers the 304 seems to be as efficient as the Isky 260 and uses less lift (always a good thing for durability and quiet operation).

Hoping someone has used Calif. Corvairs 304 cam and will comment.

Date: June 09, 2021 09:32AM

KenHenry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave, do you degree them and check lift? Thanks
I have and they were right on the money.

1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon

Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: June 09, 2021 06:05PM

too bad he doesn't show the cam cards for all of the ones listed confused smiley

Date: June 09, 2021 06:33PM

I saw them for every one I clicked on except the 891 regrind.

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: June 09, 2021 07:25PM

the cc-280 and the 0T-10 (along with the 891) have no cam cards

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: June 10, 2021 02:31AM

The cams are being made by ISKY in LA. They had a shortage of new can billets but I think they have some in stock now.
John Sweet

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 10, 2021 04:35AM

I've been using Isky 270 and 280 in 140s. They've been good except for needing new springs and retainers because of high lift. I've got some sets of really good stock springs, maybe I could use some 304 cams. Is Isky making the 304 cams too? This is all good news for me.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: ccpinc ()
Date: June 10, 2021 09:03AM

We can supply cam specs with each new cam sold.

The new billets are American-made (Michigan) and all the cam profiles are done by us exclusively.

None have anything to do with Isky whatsoever.

[www.californiacorvairparts.com]

CALIFORNIA CORVAIR PARTS

Date: June 10, 2021 10:09AM

Well, this all sounds good. I just got off the phone from ordering a 270 on a new billet, with their billet gear installed. The lift looks pretty moderate and I like that it is 4 degrees advanced, which should help the low end some.

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: June 10, 2021 05:57PM

I made a mistake in saying that Jeff's cam came from ISKY and he tells me they are not. I apologize to Jeff for that statement.
The cams I sell come from ISKY and I have worked with them to get the billets made again. I work with Mike at Mike's Corvair Parts on the cams.
John sweet

Date: June 22, 2021 10:51AM

Just to follow up on this, the cam arrived with a billet gear mounted and looks good. The specs are similar to the Isky 270 but with 4* of advanced designed into the profile:

Exhaust: opens at 40* BBDC, closes at 4* BTDC (216* total)

Intake: opens at 4* BTDC and closes at 32* ABDC (216* total).

To degree it, I installed it in my case and first determined true TDC using a piston stop (it was off 1.5* from the marks on the housing/balancer). I used the commonly available pdf degree wheel printed on copy paper and cut out/taped to the harmonic balancer. It's kind of small, so, good to about 1 or 0.5 degrees at best. For measuring tappet lift, I epoxied two old lifters together with the pushrod dimples facing each other, and used a digital readout dial indicator from Harbor Freight.

Results look pretty good:
Exhaust: opens at 42.5* BBDC, closes at 8* BTDC (214.5* total)

Intake: opens at 7* BTDC and closes at 28.5* ABDC (215.5* total).

The lift was as specified at 0.283-0.284" on both lobes. I would say the overlap, duration, and lobe separation angle are also pretty good. The advance seems to be ~7* relative to a split overlap rather than 4* as designed, which could be for any number of reasons including machining of the various keyways, etc. I considered a 2* offset to retard the cam 4*, getting closer to spec, but have pretty much concluded that it wouldn't be worth it. The advanced valve timing should improve the idle quality and low to medium-RPM torque while trading off peak power at higher RPM, but Ken Hand's dyno simulator predicted that these changes would be negligible.

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: June 22, 2021 11:11AM

KenHenry Wrote:
> Just to follow up on this, the cam arrived with a billet gear mounted and looks good. The specs are similar to the Isky 270 but with 4* of advanced designed into the profile:
>
> Exhaust: opens at 40* BBDC, closes at 4* BTDC (216* total)
>
> Intake: opens at 4* BTDC and closes at 32* ABDC (216* total).
>
> To degree it, I installed it in my case and first determined true TDC using a piston stop (it was off 1.5* from the marks on the housing/balancer). I used the commonly available pdf degree wheel printed on copy paper and cut out/taped to the harmonic balancer. It's kind of small, so, good to about 1 or 0.5 degrees at best. For measuring tappet lift, I epoxied two old lifters together with the pushrod dimples facing each other, and used a digital readout dial indicator from Harbor Freight.
>
> Results look pretty good:
> Exhaust: opens at 42.5* BBDC, closes at 8* BTDC (214.5* total)
>
> Intake: opens at 7* BTDC and closes at 28.5* ABDC (215.5* total).
>
> The lift was as specified at 0.283-0.284" on both lobes. I would say the overlap, duration, and lobe separation angle are also pretty good. The advance seems to be ~7* relative to a split overlap rather than 4* as designed, which could be for any number of reasons including machining of the various keyways, etc. I considered a 2* offset to retard the cam 4*, getting closer to spec, but have pretty much concluded that it wouldn't be worth it. The advanced valve timing should improve the idle quality and low to medium-RPM torque while trading off peak power at higher RPM, but Ken Hand's dyno simulator predicted that these changes would be negligible.

Ken, I'm happy to know that someone who understands all this stuff lives close by- very interesting info. Phil

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Date: June 22, 2021 11:55AM

Haha Phil, I know just enough to be dangerous! Best wishes, Ken

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: June 22, 2021 12:03PM

I built a 140 PG car with the CA vairs 270 cam and center mount 4 bbl carb and it ripped!

1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon

Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: June 22, 2021 12:26PM

Good to hear, Dave. You may have seen in the other thread I'm running a centermount adapted for EFI. I'll also be running high compression ported heads and Clark's full finned cylinders overbored by 0.105". The car is a four speed with restoration-in-progress body work going on [how many Motohead panels can you spot?] - should be a blast to drive.

E11F0EC5-B1C2-4E66-9768-5B30644DF386 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.