Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: A Few Corvair Air Conditioning Details with Pics
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 25, 2021 09:41AM

That brings up a good question Bill.
Was A/C available as soon as the '65s were or did it come later in production?
It seems like they would have planned for it since it was an option on EMs.
My guess is the controls changed before the LMs were finished but after the dash design was finalized.
It is also possible it was just a screw up.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 25, 2021 11:15AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is also possible it was just a screw up.

Like the 65-only Mystery Airbox cover? grinning smiley

Now I'll have to check the date on Cathy's 65 4-dr with factory A/C but I think I recall it was a later 65 build. I know my other 65 A/C Vair was built 4th week of Jan 65. It had the mid-year changed all-electric idle-up solenoid on the right side unlike the earlier 65's that had a vacuum-electric on the right.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: 68MCS68 ()
Date: August 27, 2021 10:03AM

The dash bracket was the only remaining part missing from the retrofit on our car, picked one up from Corvair Ranch. Installed it yesterday, didn't need to remove the dash, just dropped the Heat/A/C control. Hardest part was drilling the hole in the bulkhead, the dimple is an 'outie' so had to use a punch to knock it down so the drill bit wouldn't walk. Appreciate all the info here :-)

Si

Simon in Beaverton Oregon
1965 Monza 110 Coupe with 140 heads and A/C

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: August 27, 2021 01:54PM

68MCS68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The dash bracket was the only remaining part missing from the retrofit on our car, picked one up from Corvair Ranch. Installed it yesterday, didn't need to remove the dash, just dropped the Heat/A/C control. Hardest part was drilling the hole in the bulkhead, the dimple is an 'outie' so had to use a punch to knock it down so the drill bit wouldn't walk. Appreciate all the info here :-)
>
> Si

That’s because they meant for you to drill it from the other side smiling smiley

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 27, 2021 11:36PM

Joel asked about the 65"Mystery Air Box". Actually no mystery about it. The answer is that after it was approved for production, tests found that it was redundant,unnecessary, and/or just plain useless. So it can be considered a developmental screwup, and putting a cover over it was considered the most expedient way of fixing it, until the next year's budget money was available.

Mark

Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: September 12, 2021 11:55PM

Since I have the entire front suspension and fuel tank removed to replace all the brake lines, I thought I would take a few pics of A/C "things" lurking behind the gas tank...hidden from sight. smiling smiley

The 1967 Corvair came with one solid copper line and one hose to carry refrigerant back and forth from the compressor to the evaporator. The rubber hose is underneath the car and held in place by clips and grommets.

The close-up picture is of grommet 3902278 and is located in the toe-pan cross bar area...if the fuel tank is installed it is near the sending unit.
Interestingly, the same grommet is used at the top of this hose when it enters the trunk - according to the assembly manual.

For some reason I always imaged the evaporator drain hose to be longer than it is. In fact, it exits just below the brake line and in the corner of where the body and frame meet. This looks like a great place for water to puddle and eventually cause rust...or maybe A/C is mostly used in heat and the water evaporates! winking smiley

Harry Moore

66 Monza Sedan 140/PG (first car ever)
67 Monza Coupe 110/4sp/ with A/C (Inherited from my dad)

Southern California USA - where palm trees don't change color!

Attachments:

Date: September 13, 2021 02:26PM

Harry Moore wrote:

"The close-up picture is of grommet 3902278 and is located in the toe-pan cross bar area...if the fuel tank is installed it is near the sending unit.
Interestingly, the same grommet is used at the top of this hose when it enters the trunk - according to the assembly manual."

That grommet is unique to the '67 system only! I call it a "volcano" grommet, and it's much better than anything they used previously. Incidentally, the convertible uses two at the toeboard crossmember, because it's double paneled. I cast a copy of it, then constructed a new, thicker rubber ring on the underside. This produces a grommet that may be hard to get into the hole, but once in, it stays in and won't let the hose pry it out of its hole like what happens with the '66 (what I call) "H" style grommet. It's now available through Clark's as part #CC2329A.

-Mark

Date: September 13, 2021 02:50PM

Correction: Part #C2329A.

-Mark

Date: September 13, 2021 02:56PM

The evap drain grommet is an "H" style grommet, and you see how this one is out of the hole at the top, where the split in it is put. (Poor installation on this car, BTW.)

-Mark

Attachments:
Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: September 13, 2021 04:15PM

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the added information about 1967 only and thanks for reproducing this grommet. Dedicated people like yourself helps this hobby tremendously!

A few questions:
    1. Is there an official name for a grommet that has a metal insert?
    2. Why did you decide to not use a metal insert during reproduction?
    3. How do you mold such a part? Any pictures?

Below is a picture from Clark's website of the reproduced grommet that Mark made:

Harry Moore

66 Monza Sedan 140/PG (first car ever)
67 Monza Coupe 110/4sp/ with A/C (Inherited from my dad)

Southern California USA - where palm trees don't change color!

Attachments:
Date: September 13, 2021 06:49PM

I don't know of any official name offhand, but the reason I didn't use a metal insert is because I don't have the tooling to produce the metal insert, nor any source to supply it.

Classic Industries did reproduce the two-hole volcano grommet that's used on the engine compartment firewall on '66-7 cars, and it has the metal insert. But then, they have the resources to do so, whereas I don't. I have the training, experience, and skill to design and build the tooling, but no resources for the money or expensive equipment it takes to support said building of the tooling. They probably have the dies and stamping presses to do it as well. I don't. (But on my say-so, I did get Clark's to carry it.)

So I designed the grommet you pictured in your post. The heavy lower part is intentional, as is the effort it takes to get it in the hole, so it would effectively do the same job as the two taps and screws with the metal insert. A compromise, true, but it works. I don't have any pictures of the mold as present. It's a bit primitive and not meant to be photographed anyway.

The good thing is that it is available at all. Since I know what it takes to make the tooling and such to make parts, I appreciate the vendors who make rare parts available. In turn, I also try to do what I can to make such things happen as well.

-Mark

Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.