Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: A Few Corvair Air Conditioning Details with Pics
Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 01:32PM

hi,

i will have to look through parts for that bracket, there is a close up picture of the full electric version earlier in this thread

jeff ballard
camarillo ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 12, 2021 04:05PM

Here it is.

-Mark

Attachments:
Date: July 12, 2021 04:10PM

This is the original, the other is the replacement.

-Mark

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 12, 2021 04:18PM

Wow! How do you get that rusty engine oil dipstick out of that thing?
BTW, I asked Dr. Bill the same question on the fabulous Glenn car when I saw it in person.

Date: July 12, 2021 06:35PM

Tim, (humor)

Question 1: A. If it's yours, it's your problem? B. With a crane, derrick, or Godzilla's assistance?
Question 2: (More seriously) And Dr. Bill said what? (I'm in sus.......pense)

-Mark winking smiley

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: August 14, 2021 01:12PM

I have a green A6 I have posted pictures of before.

However today I spotted one of the mythical '61 Green compressors:

Date: August 14, 2021 08:47PM

The Stig;

Do post more pictures of it, from more angles, and with less if not no background clutter, if possible.

-Mark

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: August 16, 2021 06:29AM

I have previously posted detailed articles about the FIVE different AC fast idea solenoids before - on the SCG website and and a photo album on the SCG Facebook site. Here is a photo of all five with a brief summary:

1962-63: vacuum-electric "pusher"
1964-65: vacuum-electric "puller"
Late 1965 (and replacement for all earlier): all electric "puller"
1966 single arm all electric "puller"
1967 double arm all electric "puller"

If you can login to the Stock Corvair Website, you can view that article here

If you are on Facebook, you can view that album here

jbyenko77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> going through my AC stuff and found ( I think) all AC solenoids .
>
> So here they are in one picture, early vacuum/electric, 1965? , then 1966 and 1967
>
> I will be bringing AC parts for sale to Fan Belt Toss
>
>
>
> jeff ballard
> Camarillo, Ca

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:
Date: August 16, 2021 06:57AM

Here is a video of the 1964 Corvair fast idle solenoid in operation.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 16, 2021 07:49AM

Thanks for all the continuing contributions to this thread! Especially the latest updates on compressors and fast idle solenoids. I did not know the first solenoids were "pushers".

Speaking of A6 compressors, here is a copy of info submitted recently by Steven Barker in another thread here on CC. He shows a quick way to identify a proper compressor back plate that was intended for reverse rotation pumps like the Corvair used. Look for a small hole to signify the correct pump back plate. Back plates are different for a reverse rotation pump because lubrication oil needs to be pumped forward to the front of the pump. If you installed a back plate from another GM application, the compressor would still compress the gas but the lube circuit would fail to function properly.

Steven Barker Wrote:
> When you are hunting and looking for unknown GM A-6 compressor for air-conditioned Corvair that it requires to run counter-clockwise rotation only. Look for 3/16" hole on the rear side of the compressor as shown.
>
> For more info, Here is a link to lists of Harrison compressors. Unfortunately, the Corvair compressor is not listed, but interesting.
>
> [atc.ca]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Posted by: 68MCS68 ()
Date: August 23, 2021 07:21AM

Had a look at the back plate on the compressor in our car, it doesn't have the hole shown in the pics above and it is labeled for 4lbs of charge (model # 5910486). The clutch engages but it doesn't blow cold, I believe it was retrofitted by a PO. Compressor was off to the side of the engine bay when we got the car. Do all reverse rotation A/C compressors have this hole? The back plate on ours looks different to the pics, it is smooth with no letters cast in it.

Si

Simon in Beaverton Oregon
1965 Monza 110 Coupe with 140 heads and A/C

Date: August 23, 2021 07:39AM

68MCS68 Wrote:
> Do all reverse rotation A/C compressors have this hole? The back plate on ours looks different to the pics, it is smooth with no letters cast in it.

As far as I know they do. Pretty sure with the missing ID hole and the R12 charge amount shown at 4 lbs and not 5 lbs. that you likely have an A6 from another GM vehicle or an aftermarket part possibly owing to the back plate with no casting ID.

The unit should still compress the gas properly when run either direction but would eventually fail due to poor lubrication going to the front of the compressor.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 23, 2021 08:02AM

It is easy enough to buy the clockwise version.

Which is probably what the previous owner did.

At $500 plus you can sell it and make a buck.

[www.discountacparts.com]

Date: August 23, 2021 08:57AM

azdave Wrote:
> As far as I know they do. Pretty sure with the missing ID hole and the R12 charge amount shown at 4 lbs and not 5 lbs. that you likely have an A6 from another GM vehicle or an aftermarket part possibly owing to the back plate with no casting ID.

4 lbs was the correct charge for cars with the 1966 style condenser. The compressor label still said 5 lbs in 1966 but was changed to 4 lbs in 1967.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: August 23, 2021 09:31AM

whubbell Wrote:
> 4 lbs was the correct charge for cars with the 1966 style condenser. The compressor label still said 5 lbs in 1966 but was changed to 4 lbs in 1967.

Thanks for the clarification Bill. The model number on the label Si mentions traces back to a Chevelle.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: 68MCS68 ()
Date: August 23, 2021 11:23AM

Thank for the feedback guys, I always wanted a Chevelle so looks like at least I have a part of one :-) Before I try and rejuvenate the A/C as-is, might be time to switch to a Sanden compressor. Any thoughts on the SD5 vs SD7? Clarks have a good deal on a used SD5 at the moment, we will be running R12 in the system as we have 15 lbs to use up.

Si

Date: August 24, 2021 05:32AM

I was asked for more details about the brace used to strengthen the dash where the support gets cut in order to fit the taller climate controls.

Dims shown are not perfect but should be close enough to help you make your own part if needed. I applied masking tape to an OEM brace, marked up the tape and then pulled off the tape and laid it flat to make the drawing.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 24, 2021 09:11AM

Thanks Dave --- It's an important part and one of those parts you can make and nobody will ever know it's not a "factory" part.

It's as difficult to find as the front tire bracket that goes in the trunk.

Date: August 24, 2021 09:16PM

The details are forgotten so many times. I can't count the number of times I've seen an a/c system in the swap meet area and the vendor swears he has a "complete system", only to go through it to find that he's missing a lot of the small details that make for a complete installation.

That is why I advise everybody who is about to remove an a/c system from a parts car to FIRST get the installation instructions from Clark's. That booklet is worth its weight in gold, as it tells you just what to remove, right down to the last fastener. It varies slightly from the factory installation, but is otherwise invaluable beyond belief.

Remember that the devil is in the details, and it's the little things that count. Maybe a bit of cheche there, but so apropos, I'd say.

-Mark

Date: August 25, 2021 02:46AM

I installed A/C in my son’s 1965 Monza using those instructions and a “complete system” that I bought from Mike Harrison at the CORSA Carlisle convention. It truly WAS a complete system, including the brace, pipes, clamps, etc. Of course, I cut the holes and brace with saws, not torches.

This bit about having to cut and brace the dash frame always bothered me, though. I found it odd that they developed an “integrated” AC system into the dash but stopped short of designing the dash bracing to accommodate it. I suspect that the AC design came along after they had already designed the dash and they just found it easier to cut and brace it for the small number of cars with AC.

Bill Hubbell,

Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.