Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clutch squeal
Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 04:34AM

Pushed the clutch in for the first time with the car running after installing a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel and it starts to squeal about half way down. Adjusted everything per the shop manual. Any idea what would cause this? Car still goes into gear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clutch squeal
Posted by: corsa1 ()
Date: May 13, 2021 05:21AM

could be the through-out bearing.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 13, 2021 05:41AM

It's starts to squeal about half way down. Does it continue to squeal all the way to the floor? Since you didn't mention its replacement I'm leaning towards pilot bushing. Throwout bearings generally get quiet with pedal pressure.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 13, 2021 06:29AM

I had one the did it when letting the clutch out that was the pilot bearing.

Lee J

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 13, 2021 10:12AM

The throw out bearing is a distinctly different sound that the pilot bushing but I don't know how to describe it. Pilots seem to be the worst when cold and letting out the clutch. The throw out should vary depending on pedal pressure.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 141 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 13, 2021 12:27PM

Throw out bearing is brand new so is the pilot bearing. It still squeals when all the way to the floor.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 13, 2021 02:53PM

Tell us how you lubed the pilot bushing.

Date: May 13, 2021 02:56PM

I don't believe I put any lubes on the pilot bushing.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:09PM

Bingo!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:13PM

Sad to say that you have found your noise. I place pilot bushing on my thumb and fill the hole with oil. I then place first finger on top of hole and using my other hand I squeeze down on first finger and thumb and oil will appear as sweat from the pores of the oilite bronze. Now it is full of oil and ready to be driven into the crank. Other methods will be offered here too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: May 13, 2021 04:47PM

I bought the new pilot bushing from Clark's. I got a note with the bushing saying that it was already impregnated with oil and didn't need any. Will it hurt anything by letting it go or do I have to remove the engine and lubes the bushing?

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: May 13, 2021 07:54PM

Do not let it go! Here is what will happen and worse! This was a hard one to diagnose as when Customer brought it in the first time, Could not get it to make noise even after driving for miles! Took car and said it did it on way home! Got car back last week on a flat bed. Backed it off and no noise!{again!] waited a few hours and sure enough, it finally did it for me. Suspected pilot but took apart to confirm.

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 14, 2021 01:21AM

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not let it go! Here is what will happen and worse! This was a hard one to diagnose as when Customer brought it in the first time, Could not get it to make noise even after driving for miles! Took car and said it did it on way home! Got car back last week on a flat bed. Backed it off and no noise!{again!] waited a few hours and sure enough, it finally did it for me. Suspected pilot but took apart to confirm.

Curious?

Your second pic is blurry and I am not sure what it documents.

A destroyed pilot bushing in the crank?

Recall (early 1980's) when a club member / mechanic found a cheaper pilot bushing.

The bushing was not true oil lite bushing (to me), but with more steel content / magnetic? (my understanding).

He used the bushing in some clutch jobs: resulted in the pilot bushing squeal plus an eroded / worn input shaft end in a couple cases.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 14, 2021 01:41AM

For the OP:

How did you install the pilot bushing? I cannot be bothered to go dig into my shop manual, but I think there should be some space between the "bottom" and the bottom of the pilot bushing. Otherwise, using bread would not force the pilot bushing out.

Also, as noted above, did you check the input shaft for wear?

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 14, 2021 09:20AM

kaminski45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought the new pilot bushing from Clark's. I got a note with the bushing saying that it was already impregnated with oil and didn't need any. Will it hurt anything by letting it go or do I have to remove the engine and lubes the bushing?

The ones I bought were lubed, but after sitting in a plastic bag for a while they should be lubed again as other mentioned. I use Dexron ATF because it resistant to heat and getting "gummy" for lack of a better word.

Another issue is some don't set the busing in deep enough. It should NOT BE FLUSH.

The crank does have some end play - normal AND that reminds me that when you depress the clutch and get a squeal it can be the flywheel hitting the heads of the bell housing to block bolts!!!!

NOT ALL THE BELL HOUSING TO BLOCK BOLTS HAVE HAVE WASHERS UNDER THEM!! Easy to mix that up.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: May 14, 2021 10:48AM

Pilot bushing is best if oiled. It should be installed in the crankshaft until it stops...there is a stop in there. another possibility is that the clutch fork is improperly installed to the throw out bearing. The little metal fingers on the fork are supposed to be installed between the flanges on the bearing. If the forward facing spring tabs on the fork are installed forward of the throw out bearing flange instead of being captured in between the flanges a squeal will result. In any case the Powertrain needs to come back out to address the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 14, 2021 04:05PM

Just one other thing to look at.

If the bushing is pushed in with excess force (crank hole was not cleaned up) it can "mushroom" the top of the pilot bushing causing it to be too tight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.