Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Elec fuel pump diagram Toggle
Posted by: radicalbuff ()
Date: April 19, 2021 03:18PM

Where in this diagram is a good place to put a toggle switch (for anti-theft purposes)?

"Bucket List Project Manager!"
Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elec fuel pump diagram Toggle
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 19, 2021 04:11PM

Relay's ground!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 19, 2021 04:11PM

Here is my latest schematic which is actual circuit I used on the More Door.

Hope it helps. I won't inform you where to physically install it. Make that your own.

I separated the momentary switch to have its own wire just in case full circuit fails. The momentary switch is a 3 way switch (on/off/momentary), so switch can be used to get Vair to a repair site using the locked on position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 04:15PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Date: April 19, 2021 06:22PM

This schematic says LM, will it be just the same for EM?

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: April 19, 2021 06:28PM

Yes. Both 12 volt systems. You just have to figure out where you mount your components.

Only 2 switches and 2 fuses in front, pump and its inlet filter near gas tank, a steel can filter behind left rear wheel and rest in engine compartment.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 19, 2021 06:29PM

Yes there is nothing in the diagram that has anything to do with what type of car it is installed on besides 12V negative ground.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Date: April 19, 2021 06:46PM

The only item not shown on the schematic is a blue power monitor light with a piggy back terminal on relay terminal 87 and mounted/grounded next to relay. It illuminates when there is 12 volts on the wire going to the pump whether from energized relay or momentary switch being selected.

2 switches and 2 fuses up front, pump with inlet filter by tank, steel can fuel filter behind left rear wheel and rest of components in engine compartment.

Only a 18 gage and 14 gage wires need to be run in tunnel. An 18 gage from under dash to engine compartment, a 14 gage from dash to fuel pump and a 14 gauge from pump to engine compartment. Then 18 gage and 10 gage wiring to wire up components in engine compartment.

Date: April 20, 2021 12:45PM

Thank you very much! I like the new diagram.
I am hoping this will all be a good thing. I appreciate all of the ideas and will be working on this as soon as the parts arrive. I love having instructions and diagrams as electrical is not something I am great at. Also thanks for the input on the toggle!

Thank you, thank you!

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: April 20, 2021 02:54PM

On the schematic from Lane66m, is showing a shut down switch. Is it used as an emergency shut off switch?

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: April 20, 2021 03:15PM

Hidden switch to deactivate all power from pump circuits. You put it where you want but must tie in before components of circuits. You tie your fuses on the output of the switch but would make changing fuse hard.

I have 10 amp fuse holder off fuse box and stretch of 14 wire to disable switch location. Another stretch of 14 ga wire to a junction to break off power to the main control circuit 1 amp fuse and 14 ga wire run to pump dash priming switch then 14 ga wire to junction in to main pump wire to pump connector I add for easy replacement.

It works for me.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 21, 2021 05:06AM

I usually come off the fusebox on the heater circuit, go through a toggle switch and an inertia switch under the dash and on to the fuel pump.
I don't know why I would want an oil pressure switch and a relay but I'm open to reading more.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2021 05:07AM by JimBrandberg.

Date: April 21, 2021 05:41AM

Lose oil pressure and ruin an engine while it still runs on. without pump supplying fuel, it will shutdown after carb bowls are empty.

I'll add the part just in case on those sunny days I don't see the warning light.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 21, 2021 06:15AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I usually come off the fusebox on the heater circuit, go through a toggle switch and an inertia switch under the dash and on to the fuel pump.
> I don't know why I would want an oil pressure switch and a relay but I'm open to reading more.

Instead of using the oil pump switch to stop pump, I am using a VW relay that senses pulses from the coil and only allows the pump to run when the coil is firing. I also have the bypass push button to prime.

Similar to the top diagram.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: September 13, 2021 08:58AM

Thank you, I actually saved the schematic last night! I just ordered the inertia and oil switches this morning. The pump installation is less than ideal, it wasn't even fused, wires wrapped around the clutch linkage, and so on. I plan to remount the pump and come up with a better fuel line routing. I added a fuse to the circuit for now, still sorting out little items to ensure safety and reliability.

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 13, 2021 10:02AM

If you are serious about immobilizing the car you can add a fuse and relay somewhere in the circuit. Think of it this way. You set up the system with a toggle switch so that if someone jumps the ignition it will blow the fuse, cutting the ignition feed. Even if they find the switch, and flip it, the fuse is blown and they aren't going anywhere. Yes, this method has it's drawbacks. Have a spare fuse for when you forget to flip the toggle back. Just a comment!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 13, 2021 10:05AM

I like Matt's suggestion of putting the theft deterrent switch in the ground lead of the relay. That way small current flows through that switch, so it can be a very small switch to be hidden easier.

I would keep Al's large current switch in a prominent location so it can be shut off if....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.