Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Octane Requirements
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 07, 2021 05:04AM

I'm a bit ashamed that it's been a while since I used a Corvair as a daily driver. I usually get 91 octane non-oxy in a can for customer cars and instruct them to use what they can to get by without pinging but try to at least get 91 non-oxy in there for winter storage. I don't know that I've heard much about what they're actually using, but I suspect most are just using Premium since they're not driving much.
Around here Casey's used to have 87 and 89 octane. I used to Corvair commute 70 miles a day. Back then I'd generally use 87 octane in a 80 or 95 HP and 89 octane in a 102 or 110. I see now that Casey's usually just has 87 octane and diesel.
I was reading that these days most gas stations just have 87 and 91 tanks so that 89 is just splash blended at the pump. Some folks are saving a little by splash blending their own with two transactions at the pump.
I'm putting a Van with a 110 into service today. I don't drive much these days so I suppose I'll start out with a full tank of 91 and maybe cheapen it up later. Rising gas prices may be a factor as we go along.
In days of yore I especially enjoyed 95 HP engines that would run on just about anything.
What are other people that drive their Corvairs a lot using?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Octane Requirements
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: April 07, 2021 05:34AM

91 non eth went away around here last, it is now only 90.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: April 07, 2021 06:11AM

We have 91 with and without ethanol here in OK. I always run the highest octane I can in my 140. I should be getting my heads back soon from Tom Knoblauch. I'm looking forward to finally having in back together.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 07, 2021 07:01AM

Change those rubber hoses! AC Delco makes a hose that is good for any ethanol. They call it Green Line. It has a liner built in.

66RTVair
Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza DP Racecar
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: April 07, 2021 07:03AM

Chevron makes 94 non-ethanol right here in BC so I run it in my HP cars.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Outdoors RV 25RLS
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 07, 2021 07:07AM

We have 87, 89 and 93 here but it all has ethanol in it. I've found engines have personalities. I have a 64 95 3-speed that will work with 87 if I'm careful on how I take off. It needs 89 when it is really hot outside. I have a 110 auto that is fine with 87. The turbo gets 93. I have a 63 84hp auto engine with a 4-speed that needs 89. I used to blend at the pump but haven't thought about it in years. I did wonder about the 89 last time I bought it when 87 was $2.45 89 was $2.75 and 93 was $3.05. If my brain was working I would have blended.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 07, 2021 09:40AM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Change those rubber hoses! AC Delco makes a hose that is good for any ethanol. They call it Green Line. It has a liner built in.

I suspect Gates is supplying the hose to Delco. Gates calls their hose "Barricade". A great product that comes in low and high pressure ratings.

Gates also make a version that allows the hose exterior to be submerged in gasoline (in tank pumps).

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: April 07, 2021 10:48AM

I run 91 non-ethanol in my cars (95, 95, 110, 140). Its the highest grade I can get in Eastern Iowa, easily, and the only non-ethanol grade.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: April 07, 2021 01:35PM

I running 91 octane in my 140 here in CA. There are a few gas stations here and there that have 93 or better "race gas" but I've decided to tune mine for 91 (i.e timing backed off from pinging)

All my fuel hose that I am aware of is new with the word "FUEL" on it. Not sure if that will save me from the ethenol blend or not. So far, so good.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 07, 2021 04:09PM

93 is available locally, kansas city missouri, supposedly without ethanol at
BP stations which sell locally Standard Oil gasoline.

I have also been told but not verified that stations in Missouri can sell a gasoline as NO Ethanol as long as it does contains ethanol from 1 to 9%.

I find the BP 93 octane the best around for my Corsa with some light mods.

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 07, 2021 08:08PM

Gates also make a version that allows the hose exterior to be submerged in gasoline (in tank pumps).

This is really important! I had a split hose on a brand new in tank AC Delco fuel pump on my 94 wagon. So I put on "regular" fuel hose to get the car back on the road. Then I read up on fuel hose, and saw that I should not have done that. I already had the car towed twice (once for the failed pump when I was driving, then the failed hose when Ashley was driving on Rt 50 in Northern VA rush hour traffic) so I pulled the tank a third time so not to repeat a tow. Sure enough, in just a week or so the regular hose had already swelled!

But, this time I somehow did not get the push to connect fitting on the fuel filter snapped in place, and third tow.... Ashley driving again. Hey dad, is it supposed to be pouring gas on the ground? Ha! I told her to drive it until it stopped, as anytime before that there would be an ignitable trail leading to the car. Perfect, ran out of fuel as she entered a park in Northern VA.

She seems gun shy to drive it again.....grinning smiley

AAA good, as all three tows were from over 60 miles from the house.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.