Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Summer Corvair Fun
Posted by: Andrew B ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:38PM

I have successfully convinced my wife that this summer we should fly out to Los Angeles CA to visit my father, buy a Corvair and drive it home to Maine. I am interested in a decent running hardtop two door manual. I would prefer a good daily driver without any rust issues. I prefer a 1964 but would consider other years. I am not looking for a fully restored show car. A Spyder would be great but I would be happy with a 900 series with bucket seats and the 110hp engine. I am not interested in a convertible.

I am heading out to Los Angeles California this June.

If anyone one here has a car that fits the bill, please contact me.

The car does NOT have to be located in LA but can be somewhere on the way back to Maine.

If I can get picky, I prefer the White or Black exterior paint. I am not a big fan of the metallics but this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance

Andrew B

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Summer Corvair Fun
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:42PM

Sound like you have a vairy good wife...just like mine!!

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 05, 2021 06:08AM

You should document the journey! In a couple of weeks I'm going to do half of the distance, from Central California to Fargo, ND, and Instagram it (@GreatPlainsCorvairClub) and then write an article about it for the Communique. If they want to hear about my trip, I'm sure they would love to hear about yours as well!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: April 05, 2021 06:17AM

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 06:29AM

Eric & Andrew,

You guys are inspiring me for longer road trips than I was initially thinking I would do.

Very much looking forward to how your trips turn out!

Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Date: April 05, 2021 06:31AM

Andrew is braver than I am!

I'm having my car thoroughly checked out before I leave, he's going farther and he sounds like he's just going to grab and go!

Date: April 05, 2021 06:36AM

1961 900 Coupe

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 06:41AM by playerpage.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 08:58AM

Andrew - PM sent

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: April 05, 2021 01:01PM

Andrew,

Finding a mechanically sound, reliable solid car is worth paying a few extra dollars for up front VS paying for unexpected repairs on the trip home.

I hope you find a well sorted "Known" car that meets your needs and budget.

IF I happen to see anything that appears to meet your needs in the coming month's, I will try to remember to let you know.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 05, 2021 04:12PM

Hearing discussions about Traveling with a Corvair always cracks me up.
They were designed to be able to do long trips in the 1960's, so why shouldn't they be able to handle long trips in the 2020's? confused smiley
Granted, I wouldn't think of taking a non-maintained Barn-Find, on a cross country trip, but other wise, why not???
Actually, come to think of it, I would take that barn-find on a long trip.
What better way to sort it out, and have an Automotive Adventure at the same time. thumbs up
Live a little, take a few risks now and then! cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: April 05, 2021 06:38PM

Thanks for all the feedback folks. At the risk of sounding corny, I am putting this out to the universe and hoping the pieces all come together.

I am not fooling myself about the challenges of this adventure. To be clear, I am looking for a car that can make the trip. I am hoping to find a daily driver, maybe a car that is known by folks in the Corvair community. Maybe someone that wasn't thinking of selling but then there is the next project that needs to be funded. I may drop a note to some of the Corvair Clubs in the region.

I will be checking out the west coast Craigslists to see if anything pops up. If I find a candidate. I may ask here for recommendations of a mechanic to do a presale evaluation on the car.

I have Pandemic Cabin Fever. I am fully vaccinated. I am 57 years old. I have two months this summer to make this happen. We are empty nesters and ready to have some fun.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: April 05, 2021 08:23PM

Hi Andrew, FWIW, In 1962, My new bride and I drove my then almost new black 61 Monza coupe from Van Nuys ( LA area ) to Fort Walton Beach, Florida.It was our honeymoon trip. My parents, who also had a 61 Monza / pg, drove their car from Florida to Van Nuys for our wedding, & then drove it back home to Florida after the event. Yes, the 2 cars were near new then but I think any well sorted Corvair would certainly do a long trip like that nowdays. ( There is a picture if my 61 Monza in my signature line )
Best of luck in finding a good one. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 08:25PM by DOUG WARD.

Date: April 05, 2021 08:49PM

Andrew,

Central Coast Corsa has this one advertised in the current newsletter:

Corvair for Sale - ’64 140 PG Convertible in Santa Maria, CA. $7,900 This Corvair has been in our community for several years and is now being offered for sale by the owner. It’s listed on Facebook Marketplace. Here’s the seller’s description. “Some rust on the lower body, otherwise great condition. Call/text 8O5-245-l624. Can deliver locally.” If interested, contact Tim Bennett at 805-245-1624

Eric C. Player

Attachments:

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: April 06, 2021 04:42AM

Good luck with the trip. We are driving for the DACC event then up to Mackinac Island, since we are so close then back home. Will be the longest trip in the '63 to date...

That is what we have them for, right? Driving!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Date: April 06, 2021 05:48AM

I used to drive past the Van Nuys GM assembly plant as a kid. The father of my best friend worked in that plant. I wished I picked up my Corvair back then.

Date: April 06, 2021 02:25PM

[orangecounty.craigslist.org]

I took a quick peek at craigslist and selected Los Angeles CA and got this as a result from "Orange County"

There were only three photo's posted in the ad.
There was no contact name or number, only the blind e-mail address through craigslist was available for communication.thumbs down
Here is a cut and paste from the ad:

Posted 18 days ago / post id: 7293969932
Chevy Corvair - $8,000 (Huntington Beach)

1964 1964 Chevy Corvair

condition: fair
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 18664
paint color: red
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: other

1964 Chevy Corvair
Runs great just needs a paint job
$8000 OBO

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: April 06, 2021 02:42PM

Here is a "Restored" 1962 Spyder coupe for $15K [sacramento.craigslist.org]

Posted about 6 hours ago / post id: 7302622565

1962 corvair spider - $15 (auburn)

1962 chevy corvair

condition: excellent
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 47000
paint color: red
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: coupe

Beautiful fully restored spider. Everything redone including the turbo.
Ready for the road. These cars are very fun to drive.
Hate to get rid of but need to down size. If interested, please call.

This one has a contact name of Robert H******* and a phone number of Five,three,zero-four,zero,one-zero,zero,eight,six

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: April 06, 2021 02:54PM

[shadesclassiccars.com]

1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder 150hp Coupe - Stk# 2340

Price: $9,995

This 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder Coupe is an excellent running and driving example of the turbocharged Corvair. This car is in very good mechanical shape and is also structurally very solid. It has the 164ci engine with a 150hp turbocharger and 4 speed manual transmission. The paint is older, but the interior has been redone more recently. This car is an excellent driver and in an affordable price range. For more information, please contact Chris Shade at (402) 460-7097. Thanks!

VIN# 406 27W2 27021

There were several photo's of the car but they were all exterior shots. Nothing of the engine or interior were offered.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2021 03:01PM

[shadesclassiccars.com]

This car had several photo's of specific areas like door jambs, trunk, various interior and exterior too.

1964 Corvair Monza Spyder 150hp Turbo Coupe - Stk# 2436

Price: $11,995

This is a very nice Monza Spyder Coupe that is also in excellent mechanical condition. The 164ci turbo charged engine has a 180hp turbo and carburetor and drives out very well. The 4 speed manual transmission shifts nicely and the car is a joy to drive. For more questions, please call Chris Shade at (402) 460-7097. Thanks!

VIN# 406 27W1 86371

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: April 06, 2021 03:05PM

[shadesclassiccars.com]

1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp Coupe - Stk#2399

Price: $8,995

This 1964 Corvair Monza coupe is a very fun "driver quality" classic that has a 140hp, 4 carb engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. The paint is older with some nicks/chips but still looks nice overall. The interior has the original seats that are in good condition and we plan to install new carpeting in the car before delivery. For more information, please give Chris Shade a call/text at (402) 460-709. Thanks!

VIN# 409 27W2 55635

Again, only exterior shots available but there are choices available.grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.