Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Facebook and Market place fraud alert
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 05, 2021 05:46AM

I will continue to pay all of my bills with a paper check and First Class stamp.

That includes all of you here...if I miss out because I don't do internet money.

Oh well I guess I wasn't suppose to buy it or I will find the item somewhere else.

When it comes to the vendors I use a secured credit card and call by landline only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 05, 2021 06:03AM

Here's a PayPal fraud story where PayPal didn't help out the buyer, me.

I ordered what was advertised as a very nice but (relatively) inexpensive turntable on Instagram. All the pictures were certainly drool worthy, and I knew what I was looking at. I'm a bit of an audiophile; I have record collections from my dad and from the grandmothers of friends who find out that I own seven record players!

So the package arrived, and instead of a record player, it was a 3-inch Bluetooth speaker shaped like a record player. There was no mistaking the package, it contained the same tracking number as on my order. The money I paid for that record player was not something I would ever pay for Bluetooth speaker, and on top of that this wasn't what I ordered at all, so of course I opened a dispute with PayPal.

They sat on it for almost 2 months, and then when they did respond they said that the vendor had told them the package was delivered, so that the best I can hope for would be to return it and get my money back. Seeing as the entire label was in Chinese, that was a pretty dim prospect.

No amount of back and forth arguing would change PayPal's position. The package was delivered! So there's another wrinkle in the fraud game for you.

Let me also just say that I chalk this up to the risk one takes ordering from overseas. I've been a PayPal subscriber since 1998, and don't usually have many problems with them. There are new payment methods out there, but they seem way too intrusive to me. Venmo for instance, an app based payment method that is actually owned by PayPal, gives you real time updates on what other people are buying and who they're buying them from. People in my contacts like my sister and my niece and a little old lady from the church. I have no interest in knowing when they purchase beauty products from strangers. I'm not putting my info out on one of those.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: April 05, 2021 01:05PM

Good discussion.

I worked for FedEx Ground years ago. Most of their drivers are contractors. I worked for a contractor that paid no benefits or health insurance, so naturally I left after I got the experience I needed. I try to support UPS since they pay decent, have benefits and insurance.

Amazon drivers are also contractors that get no benefits... well depending on the contractor they work for, but most, if any, don't pay for it.

USPS: like any place, they have people on the inside that look for certain packages to 'lose'. My son is a sneaker head that buys and sells. Tracking shows his purchase made it to his post office, and then disappeared. Since he didn't opt for insurance, he's out his money and SOL. They had no explanation where it went and closed his case.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: April 05, 2021 02:23PM

For what it is worth, and for those who might have an interest...eye rolling smiley

Last week I purchased an item through flea bay from a vendor in Berry Kentucky which is, according to Map Quest an 8hr, 33 min. drive (541 miles) from Westminster Maryland where I live.
Two days later the seller listed another identical item and I bought it too.

It only took the USPS 8 calendar days to get the first package delivered to my door. and 8 days for the second package, at least they were consistent.
Not bad for first class packages with a tracking numbers. I was happy they did not get lost or damaged.

Here is the tracking documentation of the travel for PACKAGE 1.

Apr 3, 2021 1:24pm DELIVERED FRONT DOOR/PORCH WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 3, 2021 6:10am OUT FOR DELIVERY WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 3, 2021 1:29am ARRIVAL AT UNIT WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 1, 2021 6:29am PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD 20799

Mar 31,2021 1:55am ARRIVE USPS FACILITY LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090

Mar 30,2021 10:59pm ARRIVE USPS FACILITY LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090

Mar 30,2021 9:56pm DEPART USPS FACILITY HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

Mar 30,2021 9:23pm DEPART USPS FACILITY HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

Mar 30,2021 5:18pm ARRIVE USPS FACILITY HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

Mar 30,2021 5:10pm ARRIVE USPS FACILITY HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

Mar 30,2021 5:00am DEPART USPS FACILITY CINCINNATI, OH 45246

Mar 30,2021 4:45am DEPART USPS FACILITY CINCINNATI, OH 45246

Mar 30,2021 12:46am PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY CINCINNATI, OH 45246

Mar 29,2021 5:00pm PICKED UP BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 28,2021 2:58pm SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 28,2021 3:10pm PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 28,2021 11:58am Tracking number provided

For what it is worth... The Hyattsville Post office is in Prince Georges County MD which is about 30 miles from the Linthicum Heights Post Office in Baltimore County MD and it is about 21 miles from the Capitol Heights Post Office again in Prince Georges County MD.

The package arrived in Hyattsville then went NE to Linthicum Heights then South to Capitol Heights which is also SW of Hyattsville. From there it went NW to Westminster.

Hyattsville is 61 miles due South from Westminster.
Linthicum Heights is 34 miles SE from Westminster.
Capitol Heights is 70 miles SE from Westminster.

I'll be darned if I can figure out the method to the USPS madness when routing deliveries. It is also interesting to see how many times a given package can arrive and depart from the same Post Office on the same day.

Here is the tracking documentation of the travel for PACKAGE 2.

Apr 5, 2021 2:13pm DELIVERED FRONT DOOR/PORCH WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 5, 2021 6:10am OUT FOR DELIVERY WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 4, 2021 12:33pm ARRIVAL AT UNIT WESTMINSTER, MD 21157

Apr 4, 2021 6:28am DEPART USPS FACILITY LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090

Apr 4, 2021 5:46am DEPART USPS FACILITY LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090

Apr 3, 2021 1:16pm PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090

Mar 31,2021 11:13pm PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY CINCINNATI, OH 45235

Mar 31,2021 3:55pm PICKED UP BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 30,2021 9:10pm SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 30,2021 9:39pm PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM BERRY, KY 41003

Mar 30,2021 6:10pm Tracking number provided

You may notice that the second package skipped the Capitol Heights and Hyattsville Post Offices but still took 8 day to be delivered.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 02:50PM

For years I had great luck with USPS, but since the last jerk took over I've had nothing buy lousy service and issues. I won't use USPS now.

I ordered parts from Clark's last week and told them "DO NOT SEND THE ITEMS VIA USPS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES". They are sending it via UPS Ground because they still haven't gotten a deal worked out with Fed Ex.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: April 08, 2021 10:22AM

Winding back to the original post..., amid all the doom and gloom (and yes, I have experienced it myself) I had a good Craigslist experience yesterday. A guy had two, 60's era SBF exhaust manifolds. These were tossed away years ago but it seems today anything has value. Anyway, rather than asking $100 and having them sit on CL for years he was asking a very reasonable $15 for the set (even Pick your Part would have been $80+ out the door, plus 4 hours of my time - if they even had them).

My initial text was answered within a few minutes. He was available in the time slot I was in his area only asking for 'a text 5 minutes before arrival.' I pre-wrote the arrival text and hit "Send" as I exited the freeway.

When I arrived the person (Laird) who I assumed to be an old fart like myself turn out to be an early twenties young man waiting out front for me. The items were very much as described. I handed him the very reasonable $15 and shortly thereafter he had the courteously to take down the ad (some people will sell stuff and NEVER take down the ad). It can be done! All it takes is being thoughtful and considerate on each parties behalf.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.