Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Facebook and Market place fraud alert
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:03PM

I recently sold a Holley carb on Facebook market place, and shipped it to the buyer.
Not all that far from me.
Paid through paypal as a purchased iten, not as a friend , etc.
The buyer says they never got the part.
The post office cannot verify it was actually delivered, even though the address is a good one with a mail box.
The PO near me has verified it is good address.
For some odd reason a "delivery exception" was noted by the PO delivery carrier.
Very fishy.
Unfortunately, for me, paypal has accepted the buyers word, and refunded the $$$ from my account.
And charged a dispute fee as well.
So, I am out the part, and the payment.
I would advise you all to be very careful selling items on Facebook Marketplace and accepting paypal payments.
Or avoid Facebook Marketplace place altogether.
The fraudsters have taken over.
BC

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 04:06PM by dryenko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Facebook and Market place fraud alert
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:16PM

Tough Break Bob!!! thumbs down

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:20PM

I've never received a package when the PO said delivery exception. I would blame that on the Post Office, not the buyer. Maybe you can file a claim with the PO. Not that they will pay it...

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:33PM

This is why a tracking number is more and more important these days.
In the past few years I get tracking numbers for everything except letters and am considering paying the extra cost to track them.
The USPS only seems to care about taking your money for postage then has no concern or remorse when something takes an unacceptably long time to be delivered, or if is lost or damaged along the way.
My local Post Office won't even answer their phone and on the rare occasion when I have gone in to speak with someone, all I have ever gotten was "Lip Service".

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:46PM

Bob,

Sorry to hear that. Think you for taking the time to inform the rest of us.

I just purchased something on April 2nd that was on FB marketplace.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:55PM

With USPS, "delivery exceptions" generally mean an extended shipping delay or a bad address that can't be delivered to. Sounds like USPS is the problem, not fraud on behalf of the buyer but who knows what the latest tricks are these days.

If the tracking number does not show as "delivered" then USPS has not completed their part of the deal. Was this days ago or weeks ago? Keep an eye on the tracking status for any proof of delivery and at least try to get a lost package settlement from USPS.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:57PM

Go one step further!! SIGNATURE REQUIRED!

I've now had two pkgs / 8 yrs.. tracked / insured / marked "delivered at mailbox" ZERO compensation.

Last one was Stolen from box. 16 of us got hit.! Police report..still $O "it was delivered!"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: April 04, 2021 05:20PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Last one was Stolen from box. 16 of us got hit.! Police report..still $O "it was delivered!"

Why I see Amazon drivers taking a picture of delivered package on porch / door step around here.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: April 04, 2021 05:25PM

The post office has got really bad recently

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: April 04, 2021 05:46PM

For some odd reason a "delivery exception" was noted by the PO delivery carrier.

I agree, that's not fraud, that's the post office. Their tracking system is less than worthless. That's why large companies don't like to mail stuff.
It's probably in the post office system someplace. It may show up in a few weeks or a few years. File a claim with the post office.
For those that don't know, UPS has "Flat Rate" shipping also for anything under 50 lbs. and you use your own box and they have more size options than USPS. UPS Flat Rate.

I usually look up the buyers address on Google Maps and do a street view.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 05:50PM by acardon.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:17PM

Seems the only sure way we can do business these days is if we know the people buying or selling. I am pretty certain the biggest issue these days is with the USPS. Then followed by the scammers. In the last 4 months 3 letters took 3-4 weeks to arrive at their destinations (but they all did arrive). Good luck Bob. It may not be all lost- just give it more time. But does not sound encouraging either.

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:37PM

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Posted by: Andrew B ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:46PM

I really try to avoid using PayPal for this reason. There are way too many people that scam sellers by denying they received the goods. There are obviously a lot of folks getting their packages stolen from their porches. PayPal seems to always take the word of the buyer.

If it is more money than I am comfortable losing, I get the extra insurance with the shipping.

Date: April 04, 2021 07:54PM

Friends and family can't get the money back as far as I understand it.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 08:04PM

Joel, that is to try to stop cheaters / AKA LIARS!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 04, 2021 08:38PM

Since they aren't getting their cut they can't be expected to guarantee anything.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: April 04, 2021 11:16PM

I think it is a USPS Issue.

I recently made a purchase on Amazon. The seller sent my package USPS from NY to AZ and marked it "Signature Required".

I have a job so I am not home to sign for packages. A "Signature Authorization Form" was left in my mail box on 3/23. I signed it that night & put it back in my box with the flag up & assumed I would get a 3/24 delivery. I came home that night & it was not there so I assumed I would see it on 3/25. Again, nothing on the 25th. On 3/26 I had another "Signature Authorization Form", but it was a one-sided photo copy, not an original. Again, I signed it & left a nice instruction form & requested a phone call or a note when my package would arrive. On 3/27 the note was still in my box with the flag up. Tracking said it would be re-delivered on 3/27, but that was at 10PM.I went online & signed another "Signature Authorization Form". Tracking updated & said it would be delivered on 3/29, but it was not ever delivered. Finally on 4/3 I went to the post office & asked where my package was at. It took the window clerk 25 min to locate it & he brought it to the counter.

when I asked why there was a delay he blamed Covid & said they were NOT doing re-delivery's because they are short handed.I ask why shorthanded when they should be "Essential Workers". He said because they are government workers they can sty home if they want to & till get 100% pay. I ask why a note stating that they would not re-deliver was not left & I was informed that they don't have a form for that so they simply leave multiple Signature Authorization Forms.

At work we have stopped using USPS almost 100% because of very slow & very bad service over the last year and because USPS tracking SUCKS! Priority Mail 2-day service takes 5-7 days. Priority Mail International to the UK normally is 7-10 days, but in the last year we have seen 6-8 weeks with NO tracking after the package leaves the USA.

Your Holley may be sitting at his post office waiting on someone to claim it. If you are not too far, you should go see it you can retrieve it. Calling did not work for me, no human ever picked up the phone.

I hope this helps you or someone else.

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe
'66 140 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 11:23PM by AZ Troy.

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 04:08AM

I agree that USPS is having a lot of problems these days but I did have an incident work out in a positive way during Christmas week this past year. I bought all the LEDs I needed for my 66 dash and USPS tracking showed them stuck at our local regional center (Teterboro, NJ). I first filed a claim via USPS web site and got pretty useless updates with no changes to the tracking status.

After a couple more days I called an 800 number expecting that to be futile, especially when they only offered to call you back when it was your turn. I left my number for a call back and a few hours later I did get called. The woman on the phone seemed very knowledgeable and when I mentioned the case I had opened she said because of the amount of time that had elapsed she was going to escalate my case. It was a good conversation but I hung up thinking they’ll never find my package since it was pretty small in a very large facility.

Well the next day tracking starts to update again indicating the package was in a Queens NY regional center. The next couple of days it travels back through Teterboro and ultimately gets delivered none the worse for wear.

This experience showed me both how messed up the Post Office is and how sometimes they can get it right. By the way the dash came out great!

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 05, 2021 04:17AM

I delivered FedEx during peak season for 4 years.
As stated above Signature Required is a pain because people are at work. Also there's In Person Signature Required and In Person Adult Signature Required. The driver has no say on whether an undelivered package gets put on the truck for another attempt.
The package delivery system is totally overwhelmed these days with people ordering everyday things on their phone. It's not that great a job so it's hard to find people. There's good people leaving the industry because they're fed up with long hours and impossible work loads. I'm so glad I didn't do it this year because it's only gotten worse. If you had the load that these people are under day after day after day you wouldn't much care after a while either. There's SO MUCH that it's impossible to be successful.
They probably need to all raise prices substantially to slow down the volume and make the job attractive.
With piles and piles of undelivered packages there may not be a special place in the back room to put your package for when you come in.
They all have good systems but they are over maximum volume. Free Shipping practice has ruined it. Hopefully they are building new facilities or whatever it's going to take.
I'm waiting for a late package to finish a job now, Ebay bench seat cover with Free Shipping. Perhaps I have a little extra understanding and can be patient.
I'd be steamed if my Holley was gone. I don't do Facebook but that's a whole other story. The person may very well have gotten it and is not of good character, another story as well.
I'm working through shipping an engine on a pallet that sat in Richmond for 10 days and then was delivered damaged. I sent a carb stud and fan pulley hoping it can just be fixed. As a semi-truck driver I know stuff tips over and whatever as well. The 10 day late thing is not good however.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 05, 2021 05:22AM

I only do local pickup on Facebook Market place. I am not working those low level scammer. Just have to put up with automated "is it available messages that fat finger people or lookers use. I never respond to those.

I use USPS Flat rate and brown box shipping. I leave it to the buyer if they want the insurance. I make a statement to them that I am not responsible nor guarantee the shipping as that is out of my control Most buyers get the insurance. I have never sent a package with USPS insurance that was lost, delayed but never lost.

I use PayPal both ways. PayPal is a godsend when buying off eBay. If you get the package destroyed and no product or if eBay buyer refuses to compensate for a lost package, a PayPal dispute will get it resolved. It is up to the sender then to get his money back from the shipper. Shippers will tell you only sender can initiate a trace to find the package, since it is still the senders property.

Receiving money through PayPal, I tell buyer to use F&F. If they don't, I send their money back. I don't buy from individuals using PayPal unless I feel comfortable they are part of a group like this one.

I have kept my issues down to a few bad eBay sellers.

Al
Georgia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.