Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Paint prep advice
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: April 04, 2021 09:21AM

Paint prep advice needed:

I need to remove the clear coat that is flaking off.
What is the best way to remove the clear coat?
I was thinking sanding it down to a paint coat that is sticking well to the item, but I've never done this kind of work before.

I then need to prep the surface and put on a good primer.
What kind of cleaning solvent should I use and what is the best kind of primer to use?

FYI - I want to paint it a different color.
It's currently red and I want it white.
Does this effect the kind of primer and the color of primer needed?
Is there anything I need to do to make it come out nice and no signs of the old color?

Thank you,
Tony

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 09:32PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint prep advice
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 09:27AM

You must sand off all the clear. Then with it ready for paint use a "sealer". Scuff it and shoot your new color.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 04, 2021 10:06AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You must sand off all the clear. Then with it ready for paint use a "sealer". Scuff it and shoot your new color.

I've been a mechanic all my life and no nothing about body and paint work.

Is sealer a kind or type of primer?

Does it have to be sanded before the final paint is applied?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 10:07AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 11:01AM

Yup! Just like another coat of primer. And don't sand thru it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: April 04, 2021 02:23PM

How many times.has.it been painted? If more then once, the best advice would be to strip it to bare metal and start with a clean slate. Applying another paint job over the existing ones will lead to too much mil thickness and a host of paint issues down the road. Ifyou don't want to go to that extreme,then I would at least sand it back to the first coat if primer, apply high build primer, block it out, then shoot a sealer

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Date: April 04, 2021 04:33PM

65180 Wrote:
> How many times.has.it been painted? If more then once, the best advice would be to strip it to bare metal and start with a clean slate. Applying another paint job over the existing ones will lead to too much mil thickness and a host of paint issues down the road. Ifyou don't want to go to that extreme,then I would at least sand it back to the first coat if primer, apply high build primer, block it out, then shoot a sealer

I think it was painted just the once. But I could be wrong.

I was hoping to sand it down, getting rid of the clear coat and getting down to a good surface, but not to bare metal.
Then apply a thin coat of prime and paint it white over the red.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 04:38PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: April 05, 2021 07:33AM

If the paint below cc is in relatively good shape, you can simply sand the clear to break the gloss, feather the peeled areas back to where it is adhered again to base coat, make as smooth as possible, and re-shoot clear over the top. This may not render the finish that you would like tho. It may be wavy depending on yours or who you have do the sanding, skills. Its called a "scuff and shoot" refirb.

-m
(ASE certified "master" body and fender tech)

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: April 05, 2021 09:06AM

viewmaster Wrote:
> If the paint below cc is in relatively good shape, you can simply sand the clear to break the gloss, feather the peeled areas back to where it is adhered again to base coat, make as smooth as possible, and re-shoot clear over the top. This may not render the finish that you would like tho. It may be wavy depending on yours or who you have do the sanding, skills. Its called a "scuff and shoot" refirb.
>
> -m
> (ASE certified "master" body and fender tech)

Thanks Mike. But I plan to change the color from red to white.
My hope it to not have a clear coat when I'm done.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 05, 2021 09:50AM

I theory only sanding off the failing clearcoat and paint down to a layer that has good adhesion is all that is needed before prime and repaint. You must remove all the poorly adhered material or early failure of any new top coat is likely. The issue becomes how evenly can it be sanded. Once the sanding is done a nice thick layer of primer surfacer should be used. This primer would then be block sanded to eliminate and low and high areas induced in the surface from the previous old paint removal. after that apply a pre-paint sealer and then whatever top coats you desire.

Often it is not much harder to just strip all the existing paint to bare metal. If this is done there will be no possibility of paint interactions from applying new paint over an old incompatible finish (assuming of course that all the newly applied materials are compatible with each other). You would also find and be able to address any lurking rust or adhesion issues you may not find leaving old finish on the body.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: April 05, 2021 11:45AM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> viewmaster Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > If the paint below cc is in relatively good shape, you can simply sand the clear to break the gloss, feather the peeled areas back to where it is adhered again to base coat, make as smooth as possible, and re-shoot clear over the top. This may not render the finish that you would like tho. It may be wavy depending on yours or who you have do the sanding, skills. Its called a "scuff and shoot" refirb.
> >
> > -m
> > (ASE certified "master" body and fender tech)
>
>
> Thanks Mike. But I plan to change the color from red to white.
> My hope it to not have a clear coat when I'm done.

Tony,
Ah...sorry, I did not read entire post. Thats my shortcoming. You can still scuff down all clearcoat and into basecoat slightly, and be able to seal over top of that, for uniform substrate, whether you go base/clear or single stage.
Good luck.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: April 05, 2021 03:16PM

TerribleTed Wrote:
> I theory only sanding off the failing clearcoat and paint down to a layer that has good adhesion is all that is needed before prime and repaint. You must remove all the poorly adhered material or early failure of any new top coat is likely. The issue becomes how evenly can it be sanded. Once the sanding is done a nice thick layer of primer surfacer should be used. This primer would then be block sanded to eliminate and low and high areas induced in the surface from the previous old paint removal. after that apply a pre-paint sealer and then whatever top coats you desire.
>
> Often it is not much harder to just strip all the existing paint to bare metal. If this is done there will be no possibility of paint interactions from applying new paint over an old incompatible finish (assuming of course that all the newly applied materials are compatible with each other). You would also find and be able to address any lurking rust or adhesion issues you may not find leaving old finish on the body.

Thank you Ted.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: April 05, 2021 04:30PM

Tony, I recently used these to strip the paint off my 65 Mercury and down to bare metal. Very fast and easy just put it in a 4” electric angle grinder. Then I applied epoxy primer.

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 05, 2021 07:41PM

MattNall Wrote:
> I believe this is the Sleeper Tony has mounted on his hauler? Fiberglass?

I thought he was talking about the Sleeper also.
If so, most of those are Aluminum, some are Aluminum with a fiberglass cap, and some are entirely Fiberglass.
I believe that Tony's is Aluminum, with a Fiberglass cap.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 07:45PM by American Mel.

Date: April 05, 2021 08:38PM

VairKing Wrote:
> Tony, I recently used these to strip the paint off my 65 Mercury and down to bare metal. Very fast and easy just put it in a 4” electric angle grinder. Then I applied epoxy primer.

Thank you. I'll have to look in to them to see if they can be used on aluminum.

Date: April 05, 2021 09:07PM

Oh - Did I forget to mention.

It's my newer sleeper box, that I just purchased. Grin & LOL

No real body damage. Nice and clean box. Better interior with more bling too.
A lot less time, money and materials to get this one painted than the first one.
No fairings = cleaner box lines and it has all the running lights, for the price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 09:09PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: April 05, 2021 09:29PM

I'm going to use a play out of Dean's play book..

I'll use my old sleeper box (that has the body damage and corrosion) to test fit my ideas for the new layout that I want to have and then do it to the newer box, once I know it will work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.