Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Troubleshoot ignition start
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 09:01AM

I went to Advance Auto to get some Nicorp line to redo my fuel lines in my engine bay. I turned the ignition switch on and both idiot lights lit up and then nothing. I went to try it again and now have no lights. I still have power up front to the switch. As soon as I turn the ignition switch on the red hot wire goes dead. Did my ignition switch short out? Also I have courtesy lights in my van. Even though there is power up front the courtesy lights are not lighting. I have tried to jump from the red hot to purple on back of switch and when I touch red to purple, the red wire loses power. Strange, it all worked fine when I arrived here.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Troubleshoot ignition start
Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: April 04, 2021 09:44AM

check battery terminals and wire connections for looseness or corrosion

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Date: April 04, 2021 10:16AM

Battery terminals are clean and tight. Power up front at switch.

66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: April 04, 2021 10:41AM

There is a loose connection somewhere that is letting power to the front but will not carry the amps needed to make anything happen. If this is your van don't they have the famous connector by the battery that fails like this.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: April 04, 2021 11:14AM

Full power at both sides of connector. Power at back if ignition switch. Tried jumping back of switch power to solenoid ,power at switch goes away when jumped to solenoid??

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 04, 2021 11:51AM

Fred if you are certain both battery cable terminals/posts are clean and tight and ground connection to frame and over to engine is clean then look at pos cable end at solenoid.

Try this first: 12 gauge jumper wire between pos battery post and the purple wire going to starter. Make sure you are NOT in gear please. If power is lost again the next place is at starter end of cable.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 04, 2021 11:59AM

How about telling us which vehicle this is? Makes a difference in the troubleshooting process.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 04, 2021 12:30PM

Ken he stated in first post 'courtesy lights in my van'. I am presuming it is his FC. I hope presuming is correct. ggg

The reason I suggested jump using purple wire to starter is that I typically would start at the rear because more connections etc. Plus I have seen numerous times that jumping voltage to starter shows a bad battery or cable connection and I am near the battery to see/hear it snap as connection fails.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: April 04, 2021 01:16PM

You are correct Steve, it is my 64 Greenbriar. Sorry about that Ken I should know better to say what it is that I am trying to troubleshoot.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 04, 2021 02:06PM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a loose connection somewhere that is letting power to the front but will not carry the amps needed to make anything happen. If this is your van don't they have the famous connector by the battery that fails like this.

If I only had a quarter for every time Rex has correctly pointed this out, to someone, and been correct. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: April 04, 2021 03:45PM

So I took a short piece of wire and jumped from hot battery post to the solenoid connector at firewall. The solenoid turned slowly. The battery connection was clean and tight. I crawled under the van and found my battery connection was loose. I installed a new heavy lock washer and retightened everything and it started right up. I initially was stumped because I had power on both sides of all wire connections. I had power up front, but what I didn't have was a good connection for full voltage to run through. Lesson learned on my part. THANKS for the help and suggestions everyone.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 04, 2021 05:24PM

Fred not just Voltage!! CURRENT / AMPS.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 04, 2021 11:06PM

You are correct. I should say "amps or current ". I didn't think clearly that having the main battery connection loose on the solenoid would still let me have some power up front, but not enough to complete the starting circuit.thumbs upthumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.