Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Headlight replacement
Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: April 03, 2021 06:41PM

I need new low beam headlights. What parts store has them cause I went to Autozone and the ones I got were the wrong size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Headlight replacement
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 03, 2021 06:57PM

Make a sigline, that tells us where are you located?
Not all chains are coast to coast.

You have a Napa nearby?
> > > Low-Beam Headlight @ Napa < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 07:01PM by American Mel.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 03, 2021 07:14PM

Autozone has them, . . . . . . but you may need to order it?
> > > H5006XV @ Autozone < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 04, 2021 08:20AM

In the last couple of years the old "quad" headlights have disappeared off the auto parts store shelves. I guessing no demand. Buy a spare!

I find the brightest units are the Sylvania H5006XV Xtravision (Don't by the Sylvania Silver Star!). Plug and play easy uses 2 less Watts.
You can order them at [www.oreillyauto.com]

Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: April 04, 2021 08:44AM

Thanks. Went back to Autozone and got the right ones. Always take the old ones with you and make sure the new ones will work. Don't trust what they say will fit.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: April 04, 2021 04:16PM

kaminski45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. Went back to Autozone and got the right ones. Always take the old ones with you and make sure the new ones will work. Don't trust what they say will fit.

Unfortunately these days parts stores, especially the big box type, do not concern themselves with the qualifications or ability of the applicant to actually know what they are doing. Their only real concern seems to be the bottom line regarding profit and how little they can pay someone to collect their money.

Having been around the automotive parts business and during portions of my life, actually working in dealership parts departments and auto parts stores from time to time, I have personally witnessed these conditions.

It seems that the most qualified, competent, reliable individuals are the ones that are not hired and if they are, they are abused and or neglected. Most get frustrated and eventually move on to other employment.

In recent years the majority of employees that I have encountered have no apparent ability or concern for doing their jobs well. Many seem to be more concerned with social media than actually providing customer service.

As a customer these days, researching the brands and part numbers is important and also in our best interests to know what we need before walking into these locations to purchase anything. Gone are the days where the person behind the counter (with few exceptions) actually know what they are doing.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Cheepfk ()
Date: April 05, 2021 09:21AM

I'm fairly certain that today with disposable cars the vast majority of Americans never set foot in any auto parts store.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 10:22AM

Cheepfk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm fairly certain that today with disposable cars the vast majority of Americans never set foot in any auto parts store.

Not what I see around here. The AVERAGE age of a car on the road is about 12 years (per the auto industry stats)! In western states it's greater. Plenty of folks buying parts for those older cars and trucks.

In fact older Toyota's are on the top of the stolen car list. They are stolen for PARTS!!

Of course in higher income areas folks go to the dealer for service, but they are out numbered by average folks trying to keep the old car going.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 05, 2021 09:22PM

The best parts guys are generally still going to trust the computer unless they are super familiar with the particular vehicle.
I'll bet the computer is wrong more often than not on Corvair parts. Just get on RockAuto's site and look at all the crazy stuff they list for Corvairs.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 06, 2021 08:33AM

It's amazing how much more I've learned about these cars in the last 3 years, because I have to be the resource for the auto parts guy, so I can get what I need. Not the other way around.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.