Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: Loading Trailer for Trip to Recycle Yard
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 03, 2021 04:04PM

Donna & I have got our 10' trailer loaded with all the non-automotive scrap steel laying around our place. We also pulled about 100 pounds of Vair parts out of the storage container and have them added to the bed liners.

Next week we will start loading up the bed liners with steel Vair parts. Also starting to go through hardware bins & buckets to get rid of all rusted hardware. We are planning to make the trip to recycle yard a few days before we leave for Helen on the 21st. Funds from scrap metal should help with the gas bill.

3 photos of what we are loading next week.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Loading Trailer for Trip to Recycle Yard
Date: April 03, 2021 04:05PM

Here is the hardware which made the first cut to be scrapped. All suspension hardware.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 03, 2021 04:21PM

Looks like a nice haul Al. Especially since steel prices are at about a three-year high. You don't separate your stainless, aluminum from the steel?

Date: April 03, 2021 04:37PM

Our recycle yard's policy is if a magnet sticks to it, it is steel. No matter if it is shiny.

I am suspecting I will have about 1200 pounds on trailer, when all steel is loaded.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 04:38PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 03, 2021 04:50PM

The LM front Camber adjusting bolts are getting difficult to find in decent shape.
You should hang onto those.
I am in need of a couple pairs with washers and nuts..
Bob

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: April 03, 2021 05:02PM

To me those are to far gone. I saved 2 sets of fronts and rears. It should suffice for my time as car taker of the 2 Vair cars I currently have.

Al
Georgia

Date: April 03, 2021 06:59PM

I would take all of the front ones for my evaluation.
I have a welder and can repair any wear that might be present.
On the fixable ones.
I'll pay scrap price, or more, plus postage in a flat rate small USPS box.
LMK
Bob

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: April 04, 2021 02:34AM

Sorry, Bob. 3 cents for them is not worth my time to pack them up and take them to the post office. I suggest you might want to come to Georgia to just get them.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 04, 2021 05:56PM

IDK if I'd go out of my way for everyone but I would for Bob. He's gone out of his way for me and came up with some pretty cool high performance Corvair stuff in his time. They would go in a small Flat Rate box.
I wish my stuff was sorted out that well. I understand when it's time to get rid of stuff though. Corvair stuff doesn't seem to have much value until someone needs something.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: April 04, 2021 07:19PM

Hi Al,
Please put them aside for me.
I will ask John Purdy, who you know, to pick them up for me.
I will be seeing him soon.
Thank You, Bob C

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: April 04, 2021 09:29PM

Being from the east - there is always a need for good engine tin....

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: April 05, 2021 04:16AM

Scrap is quite high right now, taking my 5th load of Corvair scrap to the recycle yard , it will all be gone soon ,,,LOL

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: April 05, 2021 04:24AM

I'm from the north rather than the east but I've got piles of engine tin and very rarely have someone looking for it. I'll keep it for now but one day I won't, just like Al. I must have 50 transmissions or differentials...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: April 05, 2021 05:08AM

Bob:

You going to Helen? We will be there. I will bring them along for $20. Same $ if I give them to John or ship in small flat rate box. You will get all of them that I didn't save for myself, along with nuts and any good washers.

We will also will try to sell some of the best unneeded parts I have at Helen.
New, used reworked and painted items. Going through bins this week to strip out used parts that haven't sold in three years. Updating the list of these parts also.

Tins are added weight to me. No one wants any of it in the past. Too bad for the turbo front shroud. But it is now in trailer. Any turbo stuff is trash unless it is in for sale bins. Not much for turbo there either.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 05, 2021 05:15AM

Jim, there is a kid on Instagram--looks to be a 20-something girl--who just bought a 4 door Late and said "the transmission feels like it's slipping." I don't know if that reflects inexperience with what it feels like to drive a Powerglide, or a real problem. But with that many transmissions at your disposal maybe you could reach out to her.

Renedoesstuff on Instagram

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: April 05, 2021 07:29AM

Al,
PM sent.
Bob C

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: April 06, 2021 04:01AM

I wonder if she's just low on ATF. I don't know anything about Instagram, clicking on the Link was a page with something about a private account.
I have no plans to join any of these newfangled social media things, Although I enjoy it, I already spend too much time here.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: April 10, 2021 03:28PM

Donna & I got the boxes of possible for sale parts for Springfest Helen slimmed down from 7 to 4. Photos show Items that have been relegated to the scrap trailer. Didn't see to carry them any more.

So we are pretty much ready except to determine if any of my precious spare parts will go the Springfest. That is to be done next week.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.