Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bolt (tool) type?
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: April 02, 2021 07:44PM

Hi everyone!

I have another question for you. I am trying to take out a number of interior bolts that have a strange drive type. The picture below shows one of them along the top of the backside of the instrument cluster. There are others like this attaching the mount for the control cables under the dash to the fresh air vents in the door posts.

What type are these - they look kind of like square (Robertson) or hex (Allen) but are more oval in the slot than square or hex.

What do you all use to remove/install them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bolt (tool) type?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 02, 2021 07:47PM

That is called a Clutch Head screw.

> > > Clutch Head Drivers < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 07:50PM by American Mel.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 02, 2021 07:48PM

They are called clutch head.

[ssl.corvair.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 02, 2021 07:59PM

Clutch Head, found in Powerglides, FC truck interiors, horn contacts, backside of instrument cluster (shown in your picture).

Available in those 1/4" bit sets many places. Found as socket bits on ebay or Amazon. Also available as screwdrivers. 4 common (if any are common anymore) sizes, maybe 8 in total.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: April 03, 2021 12:01AM

Thanks everyone!

I'm embarrassed to say it in all the years I've been turning wrenches, but this is the first time I've come across this type. Was this a common fastener for GM vehicles before the 1970s?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 03, 2021 12:14AM

According to online sources eye rolling smiley, . . . . . . . .
They were used in the automobile industry from the '40s through the '60s, and adopted by the RV industry in the '70s.
I am sure some of the "Old-Timers" around here can give you better info than that, though.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 03, 2021 03:47AM

Just for information sake...enjoy!!

Attachments:
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: April 03, 2021 05:00AM

OldWrenchTurner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone!
>
> I'm embarrassed to say it in all the years I've been turning wrenches, but this is the first time I've come across this type. Was this a common fastener for GM vehicles before the 1970s?

My 55 Chevy had a number of them in the dash area so GM was using them at least around that time. Think they were always looking for fasteners that made assembly and torquing easier, especially in that era.

I have a set of those drivers from working on my 55, haven’t needed to remove one from my 66 Corvair yet.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 03, 2021 07:45AM

GM and Chevy trucks used them a lot in the 50's. I had a 1957 Chevy 1/2 ton Cameo that used them in a number of places.

The Corvair FC was a Chevy "truck" and therefore it had "clutch head" bolts in some places.

I've still got my clutch head driver bits.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: April 03, 2021 09:36AM

Holley carbs also used them.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.