Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64 Spyder electrical confusion
Posted by: Britcorvair ()
Date: April 02, 2021 01:34PM

Hi, 64 Spyder bought running but with incomplete electrics. Rear tail and indicator lights work but no front lights and only one indicator.No dashboard lights although the fuel gauge seems ok and the ignition light flashes momentarily when switched on. ( Po fitted led lamps)

Wipers don't work or the tach. Is there something common to all the above which is giving me grief, I think the grounds are all ok. I have a 64 wiring diagram which I'm trying to follow.

Finally where does the 3 wire cable from the heater control fit into or should there be something on the end?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 Spyder electrical confusion
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 02, 2021 03:19PM

Britcorvair Wrote:

> Finally where does the 3 wire cable from the heater control fit into or should there be something on the end?
>
> Thanks

Onto the spade terminals on the right hand defroster duct? That's the resistor that gives the blower motor 3 speeds.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor (Great Grandfather bought new)
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 02, 2021 07:35PM

Britcorvair
and the ignition light flashes momentarily when switched on.

We don't have an ignition light. What letters are on the bezel/lens?

Wipers don't work

Wiper motor gets +12 volts from the fuse box. The motor is NOT grounded to the firewall, it is grounded through the wiper switch. Check for +12 volts at the connectors on the wiper motor (ignition on, wiper switch on OR off, doesn't matter).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 04, 2021 03:36PM

Not to step on your toes Frank - BUT yes the wiper motor housing is grounded to the firewall by one "special" grommet.

Without the firewall to motor case ground the wiper PARK function would not work - or the wipers would stop as soon as the wiper switch was turned off without the case ground.

A set of points in the wiper motor gear box grounds the motor to the case (and firewall) UNTIL the gear cam opens the points at the wiper arm PARK position.

It was the park function that required +12VDC at the motor, but the wiper switch and PARK points to ground make the wiper motor run. Those clever DELCO engineers.

Date: April 04, 2021 07:57PM

Oh, yes, that park function!eye popping smiley

Let me re-phrase, since I forgot the park,

The motor is grounded through the wiper switch for normal operation. Normal being low and high speed. The motor IS grounded through the firewall to make the park function work.thumbs up

Thanks for the correction, 66.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: April 05, 2021 07:20AM

Thanks everyone for the input. As the tail lights come on when switched presumably the headlights would also if on same circuit unless there's a break somewhere, all fuses are ok.
Also ( as I'm new to Corvairs) what do the two white levers in the convertible top area do? The power top motor and rams are not connected.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 05, 2021 07:53AM

Britcorvair wrote: " As the tail lights come on when switched presumably the headlights would also if on same circuit unless there's a break somewhere, all fuses are ok."

Craig replies: While headlights and tail lights are controlled by the same switch, they are supplied by different power sources.

Headlight power is "direct battery" and the circuit is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker built into the headlight switch.

Tail light power, also controlled by the headlight switch, is supplied by a fused circuit from the fuse panel.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: April 05, 2021 08:23AM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Britcorvair wrote: " As the tail lights come on when switched presumably the headlights would also if on same circuit unless there's a break somewhere, all fuses are ok."
>
> Craig replies: While headlights and tail lights are controlled by the same switch, they are supplied by different power sources.
>
> Headlight power is "direct battery" and the circuit is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker built into the headlight switch.
>
> Tail light power, also controlled by the headlight switch, is supplied by a fused circuit from the fuse panel.

Correct. Also the output from the headlights switch must go THROUGH the dimmer switch to the headlamps. The dimmer can get wet (in cars driven in the snow/wet) and the terminals corrode and NO headlights. Note if the front "parking" lights don't work then I'd suspect the headlight switch or connector.

If you car's generator was replaced with an alternator, then a LED will NOT work in the GEN/FAN socket.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 05, 2021 10:11AM

Are the "pin-outs" for the 2-speed washer-wiper plugs listed somewhere? I need to make a couple of mods. Which pin does what?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: April 05, 2021 10:36AM

Is the circuit breaker in the main light switch accessable if it's tripped out?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 05, 2021 10:51AM

No...auto reset!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 05, 2021 01:49PM

Thanks all, I'll have another go at it tomorrow

Date: April 05, 2021 02:59PM

Britcorvair Wrote:
> Is the circuit breaker in the main light switch accessable if it's tripped out?

It's a "Thermal Breaker" and closes when it cools off". Typically it opens for about 1/2 to 1 second. In the OLD days that was thought to be safer vs. no lights if a fuse blew. However -- it's a LOOOONG time on a dark country road at 50MPH.

The Euro cars use a better approach - fuse headlight(s) on each side separately so only one goes out if a fuse blows. I wire up my Vair headlights with relays and a separated fused circuit for each side.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 05, 2021 08:10PM

Britcorvair Wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the input. As the tail lights come on when switched presumably the headlights would also if on same circuit unless there's a break somewhere, all fuses are ok.
> Also ( as I'm new to Corvairs) what do the two white levers in the convertible top area do? The power top motor and rams are not connected.

Those sound like you are describing "Top Catches", but I thought they were only used on Manual Tops.
What do they look like?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2021 06:43AM

Thanks, I think mine has been fitted with a manual top although it has the power top switch and has the pump and rams loose in a box.

Date: April 06, 2021 01:58PM

Thanks, I found the heater resister which was mounted on what looks like laminated cardboard which is disintegrated. I guess the resister will get hot so what should I use to re resite it?

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 06, 2021 04:46PM

Britcorvair Wrote:
> Thanks, I found the heater resister which was mounted on what looks like laminated cardboard which is disintegrated. I guess the resister will get hot so what should I use to re resite it?

get a used resistor block and replace it properly is my suggestion. It certainly will get hot and must be isolated from anything that high temps would hurt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 08, 2021 12:26PM

Final hurdle is the wiper motor (I think) Fitted with 2 speed motor and push button screen wash , motor type E. I did get one sweep out of it when I inadvertently pressed the screen wash button whilst under the dash board but since nothing.
I've cleaned the contacts inside the switch and the switch has good ground to the dashboard.

When I turn the switch on I hear what sounds like a relay closing in the motor and when turned off after about 4 seconds the relay sound can be heard again. . I've cleaned all 5 conections on the motor. Unfortunately my electrical diagram doesn't show the wiper motor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.( Thanks everyone the previous gremlins are sorted)

Date: April 08, 2021 12:57PM

The click should be the washer solenoid pulling in the lever. This should also start the motor turning. Have someone tap the motor casing while the switch is on. If this makes it work then the brushes are not seating probably from wear.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.