Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What is the ideal working height of a work-bench?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 03, 2021 03:20PM

You can get a lift table from Harbor Freight. They are great. Get the larger capacity one.

After I tore my bicep loose I had to buy it ne so not to repeat that expense!eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 04, 2021 08:56AM

I think I paid about double, used, what the better harbor freight table is. If you have the need and room, it is a nice work surface size and the other benefit is the 5'6 lift and pneumatic or foot lift. Do not know the manufacturer of mine, no makers mark...

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 08:57AM by toms73novass.

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 05, 2021 07:31PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can get a lift table from Harbor Freight. They are great. Get the larger capacity one.
>
> After I tore my bicep loose I had to buy it, so as not to repeat that expense!eye popping smiley

I think the lift tables are the way to go.
Variable working height
Easily moveable
Multi-purpose

I can't afford that nice one that Tom has, but The Harbor Freight tables are within reach. thumbs up
Frank, thanks for making the point about the higher capacity one.
I was looking at the lighter one due to cost, and 500 pound capacity is more than needed for a Corvair Engine.
They both look the same at a glance, BUT, after your comment, I took a closer look at the specs.
Besides the greater capacity, . . . . .
the table is Longer
the table is Wider
the table goes Higher
AND
the handle folds down. thumbs up
So, I guess there is a reason for the $110.oo difference.

With a lift-table, I won't need to ask friends or neighbors for a hand to load or unload engines from the truck anymore either. thumbs up cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 07:35PM by American Mel.

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 06, 2021 09:39PM

Am Mel
With a lift-table, I won't need to ask friends or neighbors for a hand to load or unload engines from the truck anymore either.

And that IS the reason I bought it. I was lifting a Corvair engine into my truck on a nice spring day with a young person helping. I was going to comment on how they were doing it wrong (bending back instead of bending knees) when there was this tearing sound from inside my left arm. He looked at me and I just said "get it in the truck now!" Yes he heard it. Interesting, there was no pain at that point, as the muscle had pulled free. My wife made me go to the e-room, where they said "most people can't get this fixed because they wait too long (week or more) before coming in". Orthopedic surgeon said it was because I got older and hadn't been lifting engines all winter. So don't lift one again.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.