Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Holley Sniper EFI Quadrajet for sale
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: March 31, 2021 08:37PM

Anybody considering converting their centermount to EFI? A guy on one of the Holley Sniper FB pages has a new in box Sniper Quadrajet Master Fuel system for sale, includes pump, fuel filters, hose, connectors, etc , over $1300 from most vendors,$900 plus shipping. If you’re interested, I’ll put you in touch with him. This system will not support boost, but according to Holley “provides that signature Quadrajet sound at WOT!”.

I have no financial interest in this, but if you’re thinking of going EFI on a centermount, it’s a really good deal.

Rocco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Holley Sniper EFI Quadrajet for sale
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 01, 2021 09:30PM

This raises a question I've wondered about. The self-learning Sniper system was designed for engines 2 to 3 times larger than a Corvair. Would it be able to self calibrate down far enough to work properly on a Corvair ?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: April 02, 2021 01:24PM

The beauty of modern tech is yes, you can put this on a smaller than V8 engine, and plenty of guys have used quadrajets in both NA and hoisted Corvairs. It has the small primary’s and larger secondary, just like the carbs, but will work substantially better by controlling your air, fuel and timing just like a modern car.

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: April 03, 2021 07:28AM

Just like any Carb, the EFI throttle body/Injector must be within the range of air and fuel the engine can use. EFI makes this more adaptable than carbs because you can control the amount of fuel, but airflow/tip-in will cause its own challenges.

I have boxes of injectors and throttle bodies that are the wrong size...some didn't work, some worked but not well and each needed computer settings to make them work. I ended up going to the Corvair Carb as my EFI base due to tip-in and bored them for more top-end performance. Finding the right injectors was another chore within itself. Again.... will large injectors work...yes, but just like an over-jetted carb, but will have challenges to make it work properly. The self-tuning program we use works pretty well but they will not correct everything.

I don't know what the Holly's self-tuning parameters are, but there is a limit of what it can do. I'm not saying that it will not work...it will with enough massaging, but just like carbs, it needs to be within a working range.

2 & 4 TBI units are available through Corvair-EFI.com
Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
[www.Corvair-EFI.com]
Brown Injection Facebook
68 Monza Convert Auto - EFI
61 Loadside - PGlide - EFI
61 Rampside - 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 Speed - Bad Motor

Date: April 03, 2021 07:12PM

Thanks for the proper explanation Ted, I posted here due to the number of guys that have successfully used the Quadrajet on turbo cars(the sniper version is NA only) and in the centermount setups. It’s got the smaller primaries too, which helps. From everything I’ve read on the Sniper setups, it will learn your driving habits, but will absolutely benefit from a proper tune, and the technology now allows you to send the data log to a tuner, say in Prague, who can read the log, tell you where it’s pinging, losing power, etc. and give you a tune about as close as OEM gets. Going to the dyno? They can remotely tune your engine.

Spoke with a guy that’s running a 4barrel sniper on one of leveques 6 runner intakes with a T3/4 turbo, and an intercooler. Drove fine out of the box, was going into boost within a half hour. Put some miles on it, and eventually sent a data log to a guy in Texas for an analysis, and got a proper tune sent back. He’s beyond impressed with the performance before and after the tune. Pretty neat stuff.

And congrats on your systems, that’s great work you’re doing.

And again, I have no financial interest in this setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.