Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair 95 HUB CAPS
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 27, 2021 07:03PM

I'm putting white HUB CAPS on a blue 63 Corvair 95 Van. I don't see many pictures of them. I wonder if should paint the bowties. The few I see are red which seems odd.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 07:59PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair 95 Wheel Cover
Posted by: Beers ()
Date: March 27, 2021 07:32PM

I’d paint the bow ties blue. The contrast on the white wheel covers, on a blue Van, would look sharp. Just my opinion.

‘63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 27, 2021 07:40PM

It is your Vair, Jim. I say do it with same paint on the FC. If it is not a show car to be judged, Fair game to make a minor change like you are thinking about.

I painted the front grill on my Regal Red More door from Chevy blue to Regal Red. Granted the blue paint was a bit faded, but Vair looks much better without the contrasting paints. Here is before and after photo of the grille. A previous owner had put a 65 grille on the November 65 built car. I guess because the 65 grille had red paint.

I hope photo helps you decide.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 27, 2021 09:51PM

Just to be picky (or another bad word...grinning smiley), you show a picture of hub caps, not wheel covers.

Dealers installed wheel covers on FCs if asked, they just grabbed the full sized Chevy wheel covers from the parts and accessory room.thumbs up

I've only seen red bowties on white FC hub caps.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: March 28, 2021 05:16AM

It's funny, as a lad I called everything hub caps and now I call everything wheel covers. I might distinguish small wheel covers and full wheel covers. I can try to go back to hub caps on the small ones.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 28, 2021 06:34PM

I went with satin black bowties. I'd already painted them with matte white because I didn't want a lot of brilliance on a dull Van. I didn't have a blue to match the odd color.

I have 2 originals like the ones on the Rampside pictured above.
I have 2 from the 70s that were chromed or polished aluminum with the gold paint in the center. I sandblasted them to scuff before priming and painting. They're about 1/16" smaller ID which makes them a little harder to put on.
I doubt if anyone will ever notice. I put '64 3-bar wire wheel covers on one side and '62 2-bar on the other side of a convertible a few years ago and the owner says no one has ever noticed or said something anyway.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: Corvair 95 HUB CAPS
Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: March 30, 2021 12:05PM

Looks like it's already been put to bed, but to add another example, mine are unfinished with a red bowtie. They appear to be correct for the year, but no idea if they are original or came in this (not) finish.

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: March 30, 2021 12:12PM

Nick_Soapdish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like it's already been put to bed, but to add another example, mine are unfinished with a red bowtie. They appear to be correct for the year, but no idea if they are original or came in this (not) finish.
>
>

Dylan -

There were chrome versions 61-63, with a red/orange bow tie, like the ones you have, which were for Deluxe FC, and white painted, with red / orange bow tie for Standard FC.

Eric

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 31, 2021 03:41AM

Here's blue bowties on the blue GB I used to own.
Steve

Attachments:
Date: April 04, 2021 06:08AM

I had the steering wheel off to repair turn signal malfunctions. It was a work Van in it's early days so the wheel paint was chipped up and yellowed.
When I sandblasted it I sort of liked the dull black rubber or whatever that was underneath but thought it might come off on my sweaty hands when driving. There's a lot of tension out there these days.
I looked on the shelf and used Rustoleum textured paint, dark gray with lighter speckles. It's a little strange but we'll see how it feels with some use.
Waiting on a tweed blanket seat cover to put this thing into service.
I've never had a 3.89 for any length of time so it will be interesting to see how busy it is on the highway.
Circling back on topic, the fresh hub caps, blue wheels and new tires are the nicest thing on it. 195/75 on the rear and 185/70 on the front to help with the drag-ass look.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.