Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
wiring harness
Posted by: Phil Sheehan ()
Date: March 25, 2021 10:50AM

I'm trying to get the tail lights/coil harness squared away.Just getting back to playing with my 64 convertible.
The connection blocks look ok but the color codes in my book and in the car are not the same. Left tail light has a three wire connector. Turn the key on and tail lamps come on. Tracing the wires per schematic much different. Is it possible a po got a harness from whereever or an aftermarket pos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wiring harness
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 25, 2021 11:27AM

Anything is possible. Not normal to have the lights tied to the ignition (like a modern car).

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: March 25, 2021 12:16PM

It sounds like the PO either "got" or "made" a 'new' harness and didn't wire it correctly!

You have to be careful with "3 Wire Sockets" because the '3 wires' don't always go where you think they might!

I bought a 3-Wire Connector from a reputable FLAPS who assured me the socket was for an 1157 bulb and the wires were: Ground, Tail Light contact, and Brake Light contact!

Turns out is was for an 1156 (single contact bulb) and two of the three wires were GROUNDS!

You may need to get a new engine harness from Clark's.

Good Luck!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 27, 2021 08:58PM

Dale, an 1156 bulb will not fit a 1157 socket! Sure, it can be forced, but the 'tits' on the base on an 1157 are offset where as 1156 are straight across!

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 27, 2021 09:04PM

With the new sockets from China, they are so loose, putting a 1157 where a 1156 goes and vice versa wouldn't be very difficult.

Al
Georgia

Date: March 27, 2021 10:05PM

My problem was I bought it in a Plastic Bubble Pack. I was in a hurry and the guy at the counter said 'this will fit' so I paid for it and didn't get a chance to look at it until that weekend! sad smiley

It was 'generic' and did not have the bulb type marked on the outside of the case.

I was pointing out "what" can happen if you are not careful when buying "new" parts for an older car!! drinking smiley

Needless to say, I don't shop there anymore. eye rolling smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 27, 2021 10:53PM

Dale, Several times here people have reported finding that in original sockets after a goriila owned it!! GG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 29, 2021 05:51AM

Matt, I agree! I spent 50+ years in the "Broadcast Engineering" business before I 'retired' (that's a joke!) and I have seen the "Gorilla Force" at work in places you can't believe it happened!

I don't know what is worse, having someone 'force' something to "work" when it shouldn't, or someone who has NO knowledge of the simplest things! sad smiley

I know people who have NO IDEA how to change a light bulb! eye popping smiley

That may sound silly, but I have been asked to replace "bad" lighting fixtures because the 'sockets are broken and won't take new bulbs.' That means they twisted the old bulbs to the RIGHT until they broke off, then could not understand "why" the new bulb would not 'screw in!' angry smiley

Thanks to our "new education system" pretty soon when you call the Service Man, no one will be there to answer the phone!!!! eye rolling smiley

Oh well, I am going to spend the day with my grandson's (who, at 7 and 6 years old KNOW HOW to change a light bulb!). They like my Corvair, so it will last a few more generations!!!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 29, 2021 11:31AM

Phil - yes the 64 drivers side connector has THREE wires on the engine harness side, but two wires are to the same connector pin. The wiring from the tail light sockets should only have two wires. Note the drv. vs. psg. tail light socket harness are different.

Maybe someone did a "home made fix" as I've seen to eliminate some of the connectors.

I help out the club folks and I've seen a number of "creative" wiring fixes. The biggest issue I find is someone trying to "fix" wiring when the real problem was poor tail light socket grounds.

Posted by: Phil Sheehan ()
Date: April 05, 2021 08:46AM

Thanks guys. Checked everything. 66 vairman hit the nail on the head. One of the brown wires from the harness block had key on power. The other switch on power. Confusing to me.
I have an 8 pin connector but manuals show 10 pin. I found a 1963 8 pin schematic
wires were close but not the same. I have a blue wire coming out of the 8 pin connector and also have another two wire connector lower left side that goes nowhere. The wires are pretty long as if they go to the pass. side.
Three schematics, three different images.
I guess it take a genius to own a Corvair

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 05, 2021 08:57AM

Phil Sheehan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys. Checked everything. 66 vairman hit the nail on the head. One of the brown wires from the harness block had key on power. The other switch on power. Confusing to me.
> I have an 8 pin connector but manuals show 10 pin. I found a 1963 8 pin schematic
> wires were close but not the same. I have a blue wire coming out of the 8 pin connector and also have another two wire connector lower left side that goes nowhere. The wires are pretty long as if they go to the pass. side.
> Three schematics, three different images.
> I guess it take a genius to own a Corvair

Good work Phil --- I "help" the club members with electrical stuff and the stories I could tell about "creative" wiring. Good Luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.