Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Progress report - Arizona car
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 23, 2021 10:58AM

All,

Good news (finally!) about my project car, now to be referred to as my Arizona car. After a lifetime o waiting, an agonizingly long time in the body shop, and a brutal list of delays an arm and a half long, I am within days of getting my long-awaited project car on the road and being driven. I now have brakes in the car, and it is ready for the alignment shop. I'm waiting until then to put the wheel covers on it and take some pictures of it to post, so nothing yet to show. As soon as the alignment shop has the scheduled time and it's not raining or the roads wet, I'll be there possibly as early as Thursday or Friday this week, early next for sure.

I am planning on having it make its debut at Springfield, enter concours just for fun, and then drive it to all the meets, shows, and club events. It's not perfect, but then, neither am I. So I'm just going to enjoy it as is, and work on it as I am able.

Here's a few teaser pics.

-Mark

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Progress report - Arizona car
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2021 11:38AM

You've come a long ways!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 23, 2021 11:53AM

Looks great! Enjoy driving it and that AC!

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 23, 2021 12:06PM

You deserve a lot of credit Mark for both finishing the car and also keeping your interest alive while delays prevented you for forward progress. Car looks great and I hope you enjoy it for many years.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: March 23, 2021 01:52PM

thumbs up

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: March 23, 2021 04:33PM

I always enjoy a long term project finishing. Great job and a cool car.

Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: March 23, 2021 05:10PM

Mark,
That looks great. We are just painting my 65 Madeira Maroon. Very similar color.
Is that interior saddle? We are having trouble matching the dash paint which is different from the doors. Did you paint the dash too?
Thanks - Bruce

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: March 23, 2021 08:34PM

Mark - what kind of camera are you using? Does is say "Kodak" anywhere on it? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Seriously, with the effort you have put into this car, its absolutely beautiful. It'd be nice to enjoy seeing the results of your work with some sharper quality pics. thumbs up

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: March 23, 2021 09:46PM

Wow Mark, now enjoy your beautiful car
drive it everywhere. I'm very happy
for you. You definitely deserve it.

Dan in Detroit
hoping you'll have that
car in Ann Arbor in August

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Date: March 23, 2021 11:55PM

All, thanks for all the nice remarks. I hope to have the car in Springfield for its debut and at the DACC Homecoming, Lord willing.

Brucem, the color is 2003 Corvette 50th Aniversary medium red metallic over pearl. It's very similar to (my favorite!) the '65-7 Madera Maroon, but just a bit brighter and livelier. And yes, that's '65 saddle. I always liked that color, and wish they hadn't cancelled it for '66. It shows up in the dealer album for '66, but marked cancelled. It's done in all '67 pattern though, and almost all the '67 details are there.

Yes, I painted the dash, but light on top, and dark on the bottom. The top matches the saddle door panels and door paint. The bottom matches the kick panels. Oddly, on a '65 there are at least three shades of brown used in the interior. Just look at a '65 steering wheel and column. I about tore my hair out over how and what to paint the interior metal parts.

Crazy thing is that the window crank knobs are straight out of the '67 gold interior, but match the saddle vinyl door panels.

flat-six, I wish my camera had better resolution, Maybe I need a better, newer camera? LOL Will try to do so soon, and will post pics of it once I get it aligned and the wheel covers on.

-Mark

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 24, 2021 04:57AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish my camera had better resolution, Maybe I need a better, newer camera?

PM me your address. I'll send you for free Samsung TL225 12 MP pocket-sized camera with a 16G memory card, card adapter, charge/download cord and rechargeable battery.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 24, 2021 05:36AM

Vairy nice! thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: ys063 ()
Date: March 24, 2021 07:33AM

It will be good to see you driving a corvair to events again.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 24, 2021 10:18AM

Nice job Mark. Hope to see in pictures from Corvair meets this coming year.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 24, 2021 03:49PM

azdave Wrote:
> 67 airvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I wish my camera had better resolution, Maybe I need a better, newer camera?
>
> PM me your address. I'll send you for free Samsung TL225 12 MP pocket-sized camera with a 16G memory card, card adapter, charge/download cord and rechargeable battery.

thumbs up cool smiley thumbs up
This forum is full of just plain AWESOME people ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: March 24, 2021 05:07PM

azdave Wrote:
> 67 airvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I wish my camera had better resolution, Maybe I need a better, newer camera?
>
> PM me your address. I'll send you for free Samsung TL225 12 MP pocket-sized camera with a 16G memory card, card adapter, charge/download cord and rechargeable battery.

Good little cameras. Mine taken around 10,000 photos and still working good.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Date: March 24, 2021 09:00PM

All,

I dropped AZDave my address and my profuse thanks. I am so blessed with people like him on this forum. Such generosity words cannot express my thanks well enough.

Weather report says rain Thursday and Friday, and the alignment shop (Schieber's) guy said that Thursday was as soon as he could get me in. He's very understanding about such things, having done such sensitive work before. So it may be the first of next week before I get it aligned and then take it over to my garage man Tom at Central Garage for final servicing and general final checkout for road worthiness.

I'm lucky that Schieber's is just 3 miles down the road, and Central is but a half block farther away. I went to school with owner Dave Schieber and Tom learned his trade decades ago from an old time Corvair mechanic, who occasionally worked on such cars as a Brush and a Cord 812. It's like having Steve Goodman and Larry Claypool in my back yard. grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 24, 2021 09:03PM

Looks great! All this and (surprisingly) A/C too! grinning smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: March 24, 2021 09:09PM

What I like about Mark's builds are the tasteful combinations of factory options and accessories into "what if" cars.

Especially like the steering wheel.

Now, thanks to fellow Cactus Corvair guy Dave W. we'll all get to enjoy the results in more detail.

Yes awesome folks.

Date: March 24, 2021 10:31PM

The car contains several tributes. The horn button center is a '66 Monza button, a tribute to my first car, which after losing it in an accident, is why I have wanted to have a replacement for it. But not finding one (my convertible was close) I built it with this car.

The engine compartment weatherstrip was salvaged from my '69 Corsa, which I lost in a train wreck.

The trunk latch assembly and catch, along with the inside rv mirror and window crank handles and side and rear glass are all straight out of the original car, just cleaned up. The gold window crank knobs and inside rv mirror base match the saddle upholstery perfectly. And I left the gold paint on the trunk latch pieces intentionally, to pay honor to the car's original color.

But the car's '67 styling remains intact because I like how the '67 was detailed. All I did was enhance those lines with a change of materials and colors, which I tried to select complementary pieces. Thus I wanted to show what the factory could have produced had they employed a little more tastefulness to what they already had designed. I hope I succeeded.

-Mark

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.