Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Progress report - Arizona car
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 25, 2021 05:46AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dropped AZDave my address and my profuse thanks.

These will be in the mail today. Glad I could find someone that can use them. You can keep the extra one as a backup camera or take the battery out and use it as a spare for the main camera.

I will ship today and then PM the tracking and online manual links to you.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: March 25, 2021 07:56AM

azdave Wrote:
> 67 airvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I dropped AZDave my address and my profuse thanks.
>
> These will be in the mail today. Glad I could find someone that can use them. You can keep the extra one as a backup camera or take the battery out and use it as a spare for the main camera.
>
> I will ship today and then PM the tracking and online manual links to you.

Wow! Now we will expect twice as many pictures!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 25, 2021 06:26PM

Next pictures will (hopefully) be with Dave's camera. Regardless, I probably won't post anything until I get the wheel covers on, which will be after it's alignment appointment, now tentatively April 7, Lord willing and He doesn't send anything but sunshine that day and the next. I just don't want to get it wet yet.

-Mark

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: March 26, 2021 10:57AM

I think I read all the posts and no one mentioned the alignment you have planned. You may already know this, but it's worth repeating in case you don't. The front end aligns just like virtually every other GM product from the 60's, but the rear is in a league of it's own. Before I took it in, I would loosen and retighten all 8 of the bolts holding the trailing arms to the body. They can be a bear to get loose. In fact, I went one step further and took each bolt out one at a time and cleaned up the threads and coated them with Never Seize. I would also make sure I could loosen the inner bracket for the strut rods and be certain they move freely. Then, when you get to the shop, be sure and point out these items to the mechanic. Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: March 26, 2021 10:59AM

whoops, I just noticed the original poster was Mark Corbin. Of course he knows all about the alignment. Sorry Mark. But it's still good info for others.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: March 26, 2021 02:32PM

Thanks Cliff. As you said, good info for those not familiar with that subject. but it's a good reminder for even the most experienced. I read your post, and took mental notes as to your instructions and how I have built the car. Like they say in the woodworking trade, measure twice, cut once. grinning smiley

Also, I have a good, experienced alignment person. He's done Corvairs for me before, and I've had more than one person who has borrowed my car for the autocross remark how dead-on the alignment was. So hopefully this car should perform as intended. It doesn't have the factory HD springs like my Corsa or Texas car had, but I did put gas shocks on it (salvaged from my Corsa).

-Mark

Date: March 26, 2021 09:03PM

Thanks for letting me off easy. smiling bouncing smiley

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: March 28, 2021 10:32PM

Ok, I got the camera this weekend (a big THANK YOU to AZDave) and I shot some pictures. Yes, the resolution is fantastic! Problem is, they're all over the Forum's size limit.sad smiley

-Mzrk

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: March 29, 2021 01:51AM

Most images are oversize right out of the gate. You'd have to lower the camera's resolution settings pretty far to get them in the range I think.
I use the Microsoft "Powertoy" image-resizer for most forums (right click and you're there) but because that changes the format from JPG to JPEG this forum does not accept it. Since I can't change the sufix for some reason then for this forum I use "Paint" I think it is? But there are many ways to quickly reduce the resolution to a usable point and they have been shared by other members many times, but I don't remember the details.

When you open up the image in Paint there are menus at the top for changing resolution. I simply choose to reduce them to 33% of original size and that seems to work just fine.
Save a copy in the new lower res version and upload that one. Good to go.

Paul

Date: March 29, 2021 05:39AM

Thanks, Paul. So let's try this again and see how they transmit.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 29, 2021 05:48AM

It's Alive!!!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 29, 2021 06:34AM

Wow! The car looks fantastic! Thanks to AZ Dave for the crisp images! smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: March 29, 2021 07:24AM

So cool to see this forum at work!

As far as Mark's pictures, only a keen eye (with these much better res pics) will catch the floor shifter with PG. Even has the "RNDL" printed on the knob. Nice touch!

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: March 29, 2021 07:31AM

Mark I just noticed that you too have a PG shifter on the floor! How do you like it? I just love mine as it was a must with my limited shoulder ranges. Looks super good my man. thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Mike

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: March 29, 2021 08:17AM

I just LOVE your door panels Mark!

Beautiful car. Can't wait to see it in Springfield.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 29, 2021 09:16AM

mikeycee Wrote:
> Mark I just noticed that you too have a PG shifter on the floor! How do you like it?

I hope he likes it. grinning smiley

Mark is the designer of those PG floor shifters and sells them through Clarks.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: March 29, 2021 03:31PM

I like the floor shift kit and how it operates. But I put my Igloo console/cooler on a nice wood riser so as to clear the seat hinges, and now it interferes with the shifter's oversize knob. That knob is a regulation billiards "Q" ball, specially modified as you see it. One or the other would be fine, but the two have an argument when going for LOW.

It's not a problem with the same cooler in my convertible, but it's bone stock (dash shifter, and will stay so), and I don't have the riser under its cooler. I also didn't have any such problem in my Texas car, which was a standard trans car with the stock small ball anyway. There's several options; use a smaller ball (even a '69's larger than the stock ball for '67 would work), or move the seats and cooler rearward. I think for now, it'll shown nice, but I'll have to do something in the future.

Then too, I've also noticed that I'm going to have to probably get some seat travel extenders, as I don't quite fit in a Corvair the way I used to when I was young and limber. Or maybe I've gotten spoiled by all the room in my more modern cars that I've been driving as daily beaters. Needless to say, the tele wheel is indispensable.

But back to the floor shifter, the only thing I wish I could do something about is the length of throw. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about that, as that is the result of the car's physical dimensions. It's simply a matter of
the geometry of the car and the space you have to work with is baked into its design. And there's no remedy for that, short of some serious body sheet metal rework. Other than that, it's like asking a moose how he likes his hatrack. I'll let my customers' praises speak for themselves.

-Mark

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 30, 2021 03:09PM

"I wish I could do something about is the length of throw. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about that, as that is the result of the car's physical dimensions."
I'm not following something here. Isn't the throw a function of the ratio of the lever above the pivot to the lever below the pivot? The manual transmission fast shift kits just move the pivot up making the lower lever longer and the upper shorter.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Date: March 30, 2021 09:53PM

Joel, normally, you're right. But on the automatic shift kit, bodywork gets in the way. The kit is designed to fit all Corvair cars, and do its job while being a bolt-in, with as little sheet metal modification as possible, plus be totally reversible if the need arises. With all that considered, I've pushed it geometrically about as far as I can without requiring floor sheet metal rework, maybe even welding on the floor pan.

Besides, the installation in my car is not the norm, as it has a console/cooler and shift knob that are both oversize. And maybe I'm a little bit oversize myself. LOL A standard shift ball, and even the use of a Clark's console would not have the issues my car's furnishings present. And as yet, I've never heard anyone complain about the length of throw.

-Mark

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 31, 2021 10:10AM

Interesting. Thanks!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.