Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Leaking Front Main Seal
Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: March 24, 2021 07:13PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Walter Viton material comes in different formulations depending on application.
>
> Judging by past negative comments the Vitor material in the Corvair seals is not the correct type of Viton.

Yes, we were so happy that it didn't fail while out on one of our adventures. From the look of the lips on the seal in the picture above, it was very close to becoming a major issue! Would I have torn it down before it leaked without the diff failure.....probably not because Viton is great! Other folks just installed it wrong! LOL You know, the old adage, if it isn't broke, don't fix it but it made me take a serious look while I had it a part after seeing some of the pictures others posted.

Other's experience saved our butt. Gotta love the Corvair Community smiling smiley

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 24, 2021 09:24PM

Unfortunately the color doesn't mean anything but since you found a listing that is a pretty good indication.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Ray Coker ()
Date: March 28, 2021 05:04AM

I'll be polishing the surface the seal contacts plus I'll probably add the spacer available from Clarks and non-hardening sealer of the crank bolts. That should work but if anyone has a part # and where I can purchase a repair sleeve please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Date: March 31, 2021 10:23AM

I don't like the sleeves since they really stretch the seal. I think the sleeve kits should come with a special seal designed for the increased diameter.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 31, 2021 01:20PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like the sleeves since they really stretch the seal. I think the sleeve kits should come with a special seal designed for the increased diameter.

Last choice for me as well, but, I have used a couple over the years and they both sealed well.

As far as where to find a sleeve, it has been a long time but I looked at Speedy-sleeves and found one with the correct diameter and width to work on the crank and ordered through a local parts house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 31, 2021 03:30PM

Thanks. I installed a new seal after using Emery Cloth on the surface area to get the smoothest surface possible.

I'm now waiting on new transmission mounts from Clarks and soon I'll be back on the road.

Ray

PS, As soon as this car is back on the road I have a 1961 Rampside I need to complete.

Date: April 01, 2021 10:12AM

Could you tell if it was the seal or the bolts or something else?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: April 01, 2021 10:50AM

I have no way of knowing. I installed a new seal, new bellhousing gasket and applied non-hardening sealer to the flywheel bolts. I'm waiting on new transmission mounts from Clark's which will allow me to reinstall the driveline again and be "LEAK" free.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: April 04, 2021 06:12PM

Ray, Like terrible Ted said, the sleeve that goes on the crankshaft seal surface is a great idea. Jeff at California Corvairs sells them & in fact he will not do an engine overhaul without installing one. He can install one for pou but it doesn't sound like that would be very convenient for you. You can put one on yourself. If you are leery about it, give him a call & he will talk you right through the job.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.