Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Local Mechanic or Rebuildable Engine
Posted by: Alberto ()
Date: March 11, 2021 10:39AM

I live in San Diego, CA.
I have a 1965 Corsa Turbo that, somewhere in its' history was changed over to a 140 w/4 carbs.
I would like to restore it to a 'numbers correct' Turbo.

Is there a:
~ good Corvair mechanic that anyone can recommend
OR
~ a rebuildable Turbo engine

in my area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local Mechanic or Rebuildable Engine
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 11, 2021 12:23PM

Check with the San Diego club.

Also state what kind of "Turbo" engine/build you want. There are a number of improvements that can be made, but if you want to sell the car as an "original configuration" turbo you'll want a stock engine build with good numbers.

For a nice driver improvements/modifications are great. If you want to build a #1 correct car to get the most money out of, then originality is important to some.

As for Corvair mechanics, I do most of my own work and use reliable machine shops that know the Corvair engine. Based on talking with, and helping, folks in my club, some so called Corvair mechanics are NOT trustworthy or qualified to do proper work.

Check with Corvair owners in your area for references.

Date: March 13, 2021 03:21PM

66Vairman,Thanks
Do you have the names of some reputable machinists?
Yes, I want to restore to "numbers correct" if possible. Maybe update some of the internals, but keep it looking completely original.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:29PM

If you want to go numbers correct, what is your cars build date?

Date: March 13, 2021 04:32PM

Alberto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 66Vairman,Thanks
> Do you have the names of some reputable machinists?
> Yes, I want to restore to "numbers correct" if possible. Maybe update some of the internals, but keep it looking completely original.

I don't have a recommendation for the San Diego area. If you don't have engine assembly experience you'll need a good mechanic as a machine shop usually does not assemble an engine. You will want to use newer forged pistons in a turbo build, not cast.

Steve Goodman is on this forum and has received good reviews for his work on turbo systems. Dan Drommerhausen is in the Torrance SCC club (Los Angeles, CA) and is respected for his work on Corvair transaxles.

As far as "original" goes, there are a number of Corvair books that describe what the engine block and head numbers should be. The San Diego club published a booklet called "The Corvair Junkyard Primer", not perfect but handy.

Generally speaking -- Corvair owners are not critical about date codes, but they do add value to a concurs prepared vehicle. You'll have to determine what block is in the car and if you need a block with a "turbo" block designation or one with the correct date and designation. Keep in mind engines were often produced weeks before the car was built and GM records as to what exact engine went in which car are mostly long gone.

There are many here with better information, but you'll have to state how accurate you want the engine to be.

BTW - post a pic of the body build plate so folks can confirm it was a Corsa Turbo car since the 140HP engine was standard and the turbo was an option in the Corsa.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:46PM

RL is the correct engine code for the 1965 Corsa Turbo. The last 3 #s of the turbocharger part ends in 709.
Dates are based on your trim tag. The turbo serial # (at best) is a guess based on original cars out there.
Number matching original cars seem to have the most value these days.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 13, 2021 05:01PM

Good tips about checking numbers on your case halves. Someone could have just removed turbo and heads and installed the 4 carb system.

Also join the club in San Diego so you can receive help from the members.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: March 14, 2021 10:11PM

Yes, I have the "Corvair Junkyard Primer" ... Very good reference.
Yes, numbers are correct on the ID plate for a '65 Turbo.
Yes, I have been a member of the SDCC for about a year ... still looking locally for a good rebuildable motor, a good mechanic and machine shop.
Thanks,
Al

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:16PM

Ricks Machine in Santee, working on Vairs for decades. I believe Vairchet still uses them. Rod Terrault most likely as well.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 14, 2021 10:33PM

Matt,
Thanks. I will contact them!
Al

Date: March 15, 2021 09:42AM

Alberto -- With the Junkyard primer you can determine what ignition distributor is in your car by the housing number. If it is a 140HP manual distributor you can eventually sell it to pay for the correct turbo distributor. The 140HP distributor (if correct parts are in it) is desirable. Keep in mind there were two, one for manual transaxle, one for PG cars.

The 140HP heads are also desirable, especially if they were rebuilt by a reputable shop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 09:45AM by 66vairman.

Date: March 31, 2021 09:13AM

Thank you, all for your recommendations.
I will follow up & have "Fun" rebuilding to a Turbo!

Date: March 31, 2021 10:13AM

Still in the market, though, for a 'numbers correct' re-buildable 65 Turbo engine.

Attachments:
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 31, 2021 12:12PM

You still haven't shown a picture of the body / data plate, the vehicle VIN or the number on the engine block.
Those will be needed, as has been said above, to find you the correct RL code 180HP Tturbo block.
I have a couple RL code blocks, and the means to build you engine, but the above info is needed to give a answer and a quote.
BC

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.