Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fix Hood Bulge
Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: March 12, 2021 11:05AM

Guys, we can fix this terminology problem by doing what the mid engine C-8 Corvette guys are doing and call that big storage in front of the Corvair windshield a "frunk". Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 13, 2021 03:12PM

Well technically it's a "Luggage Retention Area" LRA.

In the 20's and 30's some vehicles had a fold down shelf above the rear bumper to hold a "trunk" and of course "luggage carriers" are still bolted to the back of some sports cars and to the roofs of SUV's.

Thankfully we are not in the U.K. were the luggage area is called a "Boot" and the lid on an engine is called the "Bonnet".

Frunk has been around awhile, but it sounds odd. Although when when I can't get the Corvair front trunk lid adjusted I call it a Frunking lid - LOL.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:18PM

I like the Bonnet and Boot terminology. Given they refer to direction rather than function, does that mean they remain the same for Corvairs, instead of being switched around?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 13, 2021 09:12PM

Noel
HOOD definition from merriam-Webster
a : something resembling a hood in form

Right there, I am using it right when I call the front lid of a Corvair the Hood!smileys with beerthumbs upgrinning smiley

Frunk is just wrong.....winking smiley Not in Webster, wait, it is! Another portmanteau, as in assembled word, not as a suitcase. How did that word get two such different meanings?confused smiley

I'm off to my my portmanteau in my Corvair luggage space up front covered with a lid.eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 13, 2021 09:26PM

The "HOOD" is still the hood, whether it covers an engine, or a frunk.
The lid at the back however ceases to be a Trunk lid, once the engine moves to the rear.
I usually call it the engine lid, or more often, the Rear Deck Lid.
We DO NOT have "Frunks", we simply have trunks that happen to be located at the front of the vehicle.
And if Corvette guys call theirs a frunk, then that is all the more reason NOT to call it that. hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: March 14, 2021 05:33AM

I will add that I installed a Clark's rubber frunk seal about 7 years ago, may just be sitting a bit high in the middle. Will check both sides carefully to see if the same and maybe just trim rubber to lower center point a bit. Its not a huge deal by the way.

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Posted by: corsa1 ()
Date: March 14, 2021 06:34AM

A 12 inch 2x4, a heavy hammer and a thick soft towel in hands of a good body man, can in a lot of cases can do the job.,

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:29AM

Mjposner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will add that I installed a Clark's rubber frunk seal about 7 years ago, may just be sitting a bit high in the middle. Will check both sides carefully to see if the same and maybe just trim rubber to lower center point a bit. Its not a huge deal by the way.

Sometime I find a luggage compartment lid will sit high along the fender line because the perimeter seal was not install correctly. It's easy to do - BTDT.

Once I figured out which way the seal upper edge should point and what part of the seal goes under the metal lip I never had another issue. Even after the install of a new seal the trunk lid closes easily. If it doesn't -- that indicates the seal may be incorrectly installed.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 14, 2021 02:30PM

Mine was a little high after installing the new seal correctly. What I did was use some HF wood clamps and a piece of flexible wood similar to a yard stick. I crushed the side part of the seal over the winter. Closed fully the next spring

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.